Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 12:40 AM

687 posts, read 612,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
The artist I live with paints in segments of about three hours then a break then another segment. Sometimes that is three a day sometimes two a day, sometimes one a day. Actual brush to canvas time (and cleanup). I have persuaded her to reduce her involvement in the less valuable functions such as stretching canvas, painting surface prep, frame making, etc. Of course those things do have an artistic component and in some circumstances the artist must be involved. But, there are only so many hours in the day and if a painter values their time, fiddling with canvas supports in not its highest and best use.

Given that schedule of actual painting, the week is easily 60 hours what with client meetings and deliveries, installations, speaking engagements, correspondence, research, material purchases, etc.
Interesting to hear... That is about the time I spend in one sitting as well. Usually, after 3 hrs or so I will need to step back, take a rest break, observe and evaluate what I have done for a while, then another 3 - 4 hrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
On the computer you can lose track of time making digital art.
This is the exception! For digital art I will work for 10 hrs straight without eating if I am not mindful.

I don't work professionally, but during a time I was aspiring to and did have some projects I did for people, I would be working on it all day from when I woke up to going to bed... Not just the physical painting or drawing or whatever media is used, but planning, prepping, contemplating and researching as well... Until the project was finished. Then I would hunt for more in the downtime. I never got successful enough to have more than one going at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 06:17 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,146,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
Thanks for your responses. It sounds like making a living as an artist takes as much time as any other small business -- at least in the beginning. Does the overall workload decrease after you've established yourself, or does it go up, or does it change qualitatively (maybe more time interacting with clients and less time in the studio)?
The work never lets up. The more successful an artist becomes, the greater the demand for the work becomes.
It's not a rat race sort of thing, but it can become exhausting. The artists who are very productive all have learned how to maximize their stamina- that's the real key to it, just as it is in writing or any other intensely creative job.

My Dad used to say "A change is as good as a rest." That's very true when it comes to producing art. There are many times in a painting when letting the work rest for a day or two and cool off can result in a better painting, and those periods of resting a work in progress can always be used purposefully in some other manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts