Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 04:56 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times

Advertisements

What I was really looking for, was Georgian dance by the same group, but I didn't find any.
So the next best thing I've found, was Georgians themselves, dancing.
Their traditional dance is definitely something to watch, so what's the heck - I'll post it here, in the "Russian ballet" thread.
( I don't know exactly what region of Georgia these guys are from, because their dress is somewhat different from more traditional one; ( they have different regions and each region apparently has its own culture and its own traditions. Very unique language as well, that is not connected to any other language in the world as far as I know; someone tried to connect them to Basques of Spain, but I don't know how much true there is to it.

YouTube - Georgian dances in the city of Siauliai on July 10, 2009

These kids are doing great job - that's what I was looking for in terms of "traditional Georgian dance.")
Didn't find any good quality videos with adult dancers though.

YouTube - TRADITIONAL GEORGIAN DANCE AND SONG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 05:45 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,839,154 times
Thank you, erasure, for posting all those! The classical of course I have seen (love the Bolshoi) but really enjoyed the Russian and Georgian videos...watched every one.

Those children were fantastic! First it was amazing drums and then, wow, the dancing! That was my favorite!!

I enjoy cultural aspects of different countries....for me, just to study history is a bit dry, I am such a visual person, the arts/cultures make it more interesting and a good way to get history as well. Went back to school to study art history, also a great way for me to learn not only art history, but religious and cultural etc.

"Natasha's Dance" was by? OMG, I can't remember! I did buy the book but right now it is boxed up, as I am moving to another state in the next few weeks. But I will let you know after all the unpacking...

Fun post, thanks

Old 05-08-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thank you, erasure, for posting all those! The classical of course I have seen (love the Bolshoi) but really enjoyed the Russian and Georgian videos...watched every one.

Those children were fantastic! First it was amazing drums and then, wow, the dancing! That was my favorite!!

I enjoy cultural aspects of different countries....for me, just to study history is a bit dry, I am such a visual person, the arts/cultures make it more interesting and a good way to get history as well. Went back to school to study art history, also a great way for me to learn not only art history, but religious and cultural etc.

"Natasha's Dance" was by? OMG, I can't remember! I did buy the book but right now it is boxed up, as I am moving to another state in the next few weeks. But I will let you know after all the unpacking...

Fun post, thanks
I know what you are saying... I've traveled enough both *to the West* and *to the East* ( or rather circumstances were taking me places) and I always liked to watch the "locals." Only when certain things "click," than you start looking into the history books.

PS. Good luck with your moving.

Last edited by erasure; 05-08-2011 at 08:19 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
And this is Russian non-classical ballet. ( This particular dance group has been around for the last... 100 years or so I think...)))
They perform dances from all over the world, but first - this is " Russian dance" of course;

YouTube - The Moiseyev Dance Company

Same dancers, music was written by yet another classical Russian composer, M. Glinka (Jota Aragonesa)

YouTube - Igor Moiseyev ballet
Thanks for posting this. My wife's uncle was a lead performer/soloist with Moiseyev. The guy is older but can still do a lot of what he did when performing. Amazing. Her entire family were all friends with Moiseyev and attended his huge 99th or 100th birthday party a few years back before he died.

They are still by far the most exciting traditional dance troupe I have EVER seen. AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Thanks for posting this. My wife's uncle was a lead performer/soloist with Moiseyev. The guy is older but can still do a lot of what he did when performing. Amazing. Her entire family were all friends with Moiseyev and attended his huge 99th or 100th birthday party a few years back before he died.

They are still by far the most exciting traditional dance troupe I have EVER seen. AMAZING AMAZING AMAZING.
You are welcome.
Quite honestly, many years ago I was not all that interested in their concerts, even when I had opportunity to watch them. Now - it's a pleasure...

Old 06-28-2011, 11:13 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
I saw the Moiseyev troupe when they were here in Philadelphia a few years ago. They are really magnificent. I cannot tell you how much I loved watching them.

A favorite of mine was "The Russian Sailors Dance" which referenced the ballet in Gliere's 'The Red Poppy' ... but the actual melody is a traditional Russian song "Yablochko" ("Little Apple").

I also had the pleasure to see in New York's Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts Rimsky-Korsakov's "Mlada" which is very rarely produced because it is so expensive to put on ... an opera and a ballet! A gorgeous moment in Mlada is a part called "The Procession Of The Nobles" which is just gloriously triumphant and so full of majesty and grandeur. It is the epitome of the elegant magnificence of the Russian Czarist Era ... few pieces are so sumptuous and opulent!

Old 07-01-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I saw the Moiseyev troupe when they were here in Philadelphia a few years ago. They are really magnificent. I cannot tell you how much I loved watching them.

A favorite of mine was "The Russian Sailors Dance" which referenced the ballet in Gliere's 'The Red Poppy' ... but the actual melody is a traditional Russian song "Yablochko" ("Little Apple").

I also had the pleasure to see in New York's Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts Rimsky-Korsakov's "Mlada" which is very rarely produced because it is so expensive to put on ... an opera and a ballet! A gorgeous moment in Mlada is a part called "The Procession Of The Nobles" which is just gloriously triumphant and so full of majesty and grandeur. It is the epitome of the elegant magnificence of the Russian Czarist Era ... few pieces are so sumptuous and opulent!
Well here is "Yablochko" ( never was a big fan of it...)

YouTube - ‪Dance by Igor Moiseyev - Russian Sailor Dance - Yablochko /

But I have never heard of "Mlada"

Old 07-01-2011, 11:21 PM

PS. By the way while looking for the "Sailors' dance" I've found THIS

YouTube - ‪Roots of Breakdance (Run DMC - It's Like That)‬‏

(Don't ask)

Old 07-12-2011, 12:57 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,099,131 times
I finally got to see and hear Swan Lake when the Austin Philharmonic did it in conjunction with the Austin Ballet--my wife is a violinist with the former. Wow! I never thought this old rock and roll drummer would say this, but I'm now officially hooked on both Russian ballet and Mr. Tchaikovsky's work.
I just bought the Pathetique cd last week.

Old 12-18-2011, 12:10 PM

.....and while I am at that, I see some Russians are arguing that (one of the most contemporary stars of Bolshoy Theater) N. Tsiskaridze is not doing such a good job in this particular piece "Spectre of the Rose"(?) as Maris Liepa used to.

This is the old version ( with Maris Liepa)
( music of K. Weber "Invitation to Dance")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXdEI...eature=related

and this is the new one
( with Nikolai Tziskaridze)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AI_j...deo&playnext=2

So what do you think?

Last edited by erasure; 12-18-2011 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts