U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 02:11 PM

5,799 posts, read 4,810,185 times

Advertisements

Several years ago I was visiting a friend who is Registrar at a well known regional art museum. I helped her and other staff set up a ceramics show - I forget who the artist was, but the ceramics were very fine and old. We were very professional, very careful, and very delicate in handling this precious art. Objects were displayed on pedestals under vitrines for protection.

That evening at the exhibit opening I mingled with the crowd. It was the typical batch of folks who show up to openings - a mix of rich people and arty people and others there to scam some free food and wine.

Anyway, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a woman take her purse off her shoulder and drop it down on top of a vitrine so that she could use her hands as she talked and drank wine!

I'll never forget that moment - the purse was green and probably very fancy pants expensive. I remember gasping in shock and gaping at the lady. Her friend said "That woman is laughing at you!", after which she picked the purse up off the vitrine.

Guess the art was good enough to be a purse rest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 07:39 PM

13,817 posts, read 12,600,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Has Sculpture Become Just Another Pretty Face?

Is it me, or do we seem to have a problem with sculpture today? I don’t mean contemporary sculpture, whose fashionable stars (see Koons, Murakami et alia) pander to our appetite for spectacle and whatever’s new. I don’t mean ancient or even non-Western sculpture, either. I mean traditional European sculpture — celebrities like Bernini and Rodin aside — and American sculpture, too: the enormous universe of stuff we come across in churches and parks, at memorials and in museums like the Bode. The stuff Barnett Newman, the Abstract Expressionist painter, notoriously derided as objects we bump into when backing up to look at a painting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/10/ar...usy-world.html
I have no idea what author of the article is talking about - apparently all the best "traditional European sculpture" is in Russia;
here is the whole bunch of it in St. Pet's Hermitage museum and it's definitely not taking the "back seat" comparably to painting. People can appreciate it as much as painting - it still looks gorgeous IMHO))))

. : LiveInternet - -

( And if it's not in museums, it should serve the purpose, the kind the painting can't fulfill.

Something like this

Memoriale Stalingrado - Volgograd - YouTube

The Motherland Calls - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

or this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khatyn_massacre

or Statue of Liberty...

"Abstract Expressionism" will not work in sculpture I'm afraid; people will keep on hanging their hats on it and for a good reason I suppose))))

Old 12-31-2011, 08:01 PM

13,817 posts, read 12,600,955 times
Here is one more of those "traditional European sculptures" from Hermitage;
is it taking a "back seat to painting?" I think not)))))

The Three Graces (sculpture) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by erasure; 12-31-2011 at 08:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or