Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 06:43 AM

885 posts, read 1,521,195 times

Advertisements

I'm a little bored with the usual museums of the megalopolis. I want to see some more unconventional and intimate art venues.

Is Storm King worth a weekend trip? Anything else worth checking out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 PM

~the Delaware Museum of Art ~ mentioned by ClarkPark in another thread, I have not yet visited...

Old 09-21-2011, 10:56 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
If you want a really - and I mean REALLY - offbeat art museum, may I recommend:

The American Visionary Art Museum in Baltimore, MD?

American Visionary Art Museum

Check it out. I make special trips to Baltimore just to visit this museum! Just exploring the building alone is worth the price of admission. No kidding!

Old 09-22-2011, 08:27 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
How unconventional? Have you seen the Freer?

Old 09-25-2011, 08:25 AM

I've been to the American Visionary Art Museum - I went to Baltimore for the Kinetic Sculpture Race one year... Baltimore is a cool city and I lived there for a short time... But it's been awhile so perhaps it's worth a return trip.

I LOVE the Sackler gallery and usually take in the Freer whilst visiting. So glad you mentioned this gem. These are galleries I never tire of!

What about Philly area, I've explored that city and region least of all. I think my 'trouble' with Philly is that I dislike driving into and around the city much more than the others in the megalopolis. I've been to the Philly art museum and the Museum of anthroplogy/archaeology - and one other one but I can't remember.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:32 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Go to Soho in New york. Or go to the Barn's Foundation Museum in pa.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:35 AM

*sigh* Been to both, tired of them for the moment... Anywhere in SoHo you especially recommend that I may have missed? I was there last year, 2010, in the spring.

Tho I'm looking forward to the Barnes relocation - still underway as far as I last heard

Old 09-25-2011, 08:48 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Hmmm well what are you hungering for? Lol. In Soho I like all the outside sitting areas to restaurants where you can watch the new artist. Since I'm getting up there in at the age of 34. I'm a fine artist myself. I am fascinated with Art Noveau, abstract, some contemptary art, digital and graphics art. I am mesmerized with the ceramics art because I'm the artist that just isn't great at it.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:06 PM

Raena, you are right. I think part of my boredom may be that I'm not giving myself enough time to spend in the area these days. I'm feeling tired and short of time and money most of the time! One of the best shows I ever saw was one of the first Lisa Yuskavage exhibits in Philadelphia and I completely stumbled into it after seeing it across the street from the wretched tex-mex restaurant where I was dining, now that I stop to recall.

A big YES! to contemporary ceramics - my god, some of that stuff is astonishing, like a little universe. I like anything as long as it's good - from 'outsider' and naive and primitive art to the most technical and abstract.

Another question: I haven't yet been to the Cloisters in NYC -worth a visit?

Hm, now I've got the itch for NYC !

Old 09-25-2011, 12:13 PM

21,721 posts, read 28,048,669 times
In CT, these are excellent and mostly free. New Haven is definitely the place to be.

YALE UNIVERSITY ART GALLERY
YCBA Home Page | britishart.yale.edu
Welcome to the Yale Peabody Museum
The Wadsworth Atheneum
New Britain Museum of American Art - Main

There's also some other experiences in CT:

Danbury Railway Museum
Welcome to the Connecticut Trolley Museum
The Maritime Aquarium
Mystic Seaport: The Museum of America and the Seaâ„¢ : Home (a "living" museum)
Mystic Aquarium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts