U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 06:41 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,220,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Would you call this art? Or is this closer to a technical drawing?
It is a very well-crafted drawing of a bicycle, demonstrating great skill in drawing. It is artistically produced, but it doesn't evoke any vision in my mind. It does not give me a sense of how the subject is thought of by the artist. So, for me, it is a very well-produced graphic of a bicycle, but it is not art. Artistic, but not art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:02 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,662,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulklee53 View Post
Yes, this is art.

The level of technical skill in portraying things realistically is extremely high but that doesn't do anything for me, by itself. I tend to think of realism as a medium, not an end goal.

The composition is great and that's what makes this great. Change the point of view of the artist and everything changes. Pick another bike and it's not the same. Those particular wheels, with those spokes, the height of the seat, the bag/basket on the front handlebars, the curve of the front fork, etc. when all combined just so, make this something that I want to look at. It's harmonious and balanced. It's also not symmetrical. You might think that because it's a bicycle that it is, but look at it again and notice that it's not really. Those asymmetrical elements are what make it compelling.

You said that you'd have attempted abstraction but haven't been satisfied with your results. Take this photo that you've posted here and play with it in Photoshop or some other piece of software. Use a tool that will let you make everything fuzzier and fuzzier. Get it to the point that if you didn't know that it was a bicycle that you'd still like to look at it anyway. Try this with some other realistic images that you like and I'll bet you still like them. Then try it with some realistic images you don't like. I'll bet you still don't like them. Now, as far as abstract work is concerned, composition is about all that matters. Yeah, color matters too, but I tend to think of that as part of composition even though many don't. Now, back to my point, and I do have one. Try all this fuzziness without the software. Just look at things you like and ignore what you think you're looking at. Reality isn't real. Your brain has spent years learning to process what you eyes see so that you can navigate the physical world to find food, reproduce and not get killed. It's learned to ignore most of what is seen. You need to let that ignored stuff come to the surface. When you do, you'll have no trouble making abstract work. If that's what you really want to do. I'm not sure if I understood that bicycle to be your work. If it is, then you might want to concentrate on that. You don't have to do it all. In your heart, you know what you're meant to do.

Now that I've done all that writing, let me say much of it again, but more succinctly. I don't see that piece as a bicycle but as geometric abstraction projected onto a real object.

OK, shutting up now.
Paul, thanks for your input and your suggestions for helping me become better in tune with the idea of abstract art. I've tried to do something similar with another hobby of mine, photography. Occasionally I'll look at a scene and try to view it through the lens, not necessarily as objects in front of me, but as masses of color and texture. Thinking that way, I've had mixed results. Sometimes I produce a picture that satisfies me and many times I don't. But I've never tried anything like that with my illustrations, so I think I'll give it a go. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
It is a very well-crafted drawing of a bicycle, demonstrating great skill in drawing. It is artistically produced, but it doesn't evoke any vision in my mind. It does not give me a sense of how the subject is thought of by the artist. So, for me, it is a very well-produced graphic of a bicycle, but it is not art. Artistic, but not art.
I think your last sentence is a good way to say what I've thought about my own work. It's a simple sentence, but for some reason I never thought to say it that way. Thanks for your input!

Old 03-16-2012, 08:28 AM

16 posts, read 17,131 times
that is definitely art. do any other pieces? love art.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:29 PM

62 posts, read 138,140 times
Default You know what's in your heart

Lamplight, good luck to you in whatever kind of art you choose to make. You have what it takes to make good AbEx art, should you want to. Not that I'm an expert. Don't let anyone else, such as Wilson513 or me, influence what you make. You know what's in your heart.

If you get your work shown in public you should let people on here know. I know I'd be interested in seeing it in person.

You can't please everyone, so you might as well please yourself.

Wilson513, why would you tell anyone NOT to explore the making of a kind of art that they had expressed interest in? What kind of a person would do such a thing! Not only are you bitter and insecure you're just downright nasty. That guy who called you a phillisine in another thread was right! As far as the personal attacks go, take a look at your comments two posts back. It's dripping with insults aimed at art you don't like, those who make that art and those who like that kind of art. You can't just say you don't like abstract expressionism because...., you have to malign the all who do.

Old 03-19-2012, 11:04 AM

I'm currently working on a similar bicycle picture using a Wacom tablet and my computer. You would think that would mean less work, but it's most definitely a lot more work. I'll post it when I'm finished. Here are a few detail shots:

Old 03-19-2012, 01:59 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,428,295 times
Very nice. Please post up your progress.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:21 PM

Thanks! I drew the spokes this morning, which was about as fun as you'd imagine. Now it's mostly just a lot of little details to add in before it's truly done.

Old 03-19-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Thanks! I drew the spokes this morning, which was about as fun as you'd imagine. Now it's mostly just a lot of little details to add in before it's truly done.
Its very cool. Will the tablet assist with formulae for shapes or do you have to hand draw all?

Old 03-19-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Its very cool. Will the tablet assist with formulae for shapes or do you have to hand draw all?
I'm using Photoshop, which allows me to draw perfect circles and straight lines, and I can also create a straight path/line, then add anchor points and adjust those, allowing me to create curves however I choose. That's handy when I need a long, graceful curve, but for short lines and curves it's easier just to draw it free-hand. Really, that's not much different than when I draw using pen and paper, a ruler, a compass, and a French curve. But drawing and adjusting the curved line in Photoshop requires several more steps than drawing it on paper with the French curve and a pen. In some ways the whole process is a lot more trouble, but it comes with some enormous benefits, like the ease with which I can undoing mistakes and alter things I've already drawn, being able to layer things for various effects, and the ability to make the drawing enormous which allows much more detail. Unfortunately, when I started this drawing I didn't make it as large as I should have, and once I realized that I was already too far in to start over!

Here's the full drawing so far:

Old 03-20-2012, 04:59 AM

Even though I am not a big fan of digital art, it fascinates me. However, most such art, is made up mostly of modified photographs and I think that is what has held it back as a flourishing art form. I see it's greatest benefit in assisting the artist in composition.

"Let's just take a photo of that sky and put a moon in there instead of taking all week to paint it in only to sand it down and go back to the old sky."

You are right to hone your drawing skills to razor sharp as you have done because it allows you to communicate what you intend, instead of what the limitations of your rendering skills allow. Its why all great art schools everywhere have always started (and sometimes ended) with rigorous drawing training.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts