U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 12:25 PM

62 posts, read 138,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
Thanks Paul. I saw your work in another thread and I definitely liked it. I tried to rep you for the post where you displayed your work but it wouldn't let me.
Thanks. I live for it when people like what I do. I try to concentrate on them and not get depressed when people don't like or evenly actively dislike what I do. But you can't get the good without exposing yourself to the bad - it's all part of the game. It doesn't matter who you are or what kind of work you do it's not going to be someone's cup of tea. I never seen the real Mona Lisa but I've heard many people who did talk about how unimpressed they were. I figure if someone Leonardo Da Vinci can get that kind of response then the rest of us nobodies should be willing to be the target of a rotten tomato every now and then. Besides, the potshots force you to really question why you're really doing this. They usually end up making you stronger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 11:50 PM

19,446 posts, read 13,103,103 times
Quote:
It's definitely not the same experience (or result) as using traditional methods. It does seem to be well suited to what I'm drawing, though, but I was also a drafter and used AutoCAD a lot, so for me, and for this drawing, it's sort of an in-between experience. Not quite the precision of a CAD program, but precise enough, yet it also has the tools for shading and coloring. It's definitely more precise than using ink and paper. Well, compared to the paper size I've always used in the past, at least. I could get tremendous detail using a giant sheet of paper and a quill pen, but I don't have a work surface large enough.
Yup.
The Wacom settings are important, as you have probably already discovered. The pens can be problematic; my first Wacom was a high-end model I got slightly used at a very cheap price, and it's pen used to create a static charge that would spider fine lines as soon as it approached the tablet without touching it.
Wacom sent me another pen after a phone call to them. I had to send the original pen back to them first. My newer tablet has had no problems.

If you want to work on large size paper, check a local paper supply house if one is in your area. The sheets of printing paper have an amazing range of surfaces, and much of it comes in sheets that are very large- 30"x40" or thereabouts. These sheets are commonly used for printing multiple copies of pamphlets and the like, then trimmed in big paper cutters. The supply houses always have a box of assorted papers that came in a damaged carton, or are sometimes willing to sell a few sheets. They will also give away samples, sometimes.

Look for a hot pressed paper for the work you do. That kind of paper is smooth and slick, and is used to produce fine detail printing. Uncoated hot press is better for your purposes than coated- the coating is a very fine clay coumpound which is very white and makes for very colorful printing, but the clay can clog a fine technical pen sometimes- it all depends on the coating.

Uncoated hot press is not as white generally, but is great for your work. Casson board is a generic name for the heavy weight paper of this type.

Cold press papers are rougher in texture; they make excellent watercolor painting paper and sketch paper. May have a texture that is stamped on them, and some can be very rough, with hunks of small wood chips, bamboo, or whatever the paper was made from embedded in them.
A technical drawing done on cold press would have small blots, irregular lines, and other things that might give your work a definite 'arty' look.

Look for the acid-free stuff in both types.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:27 AM

34,794 posts, read 42,936,199 times
I like it. I would buy it. It would make me happy to look at it everyday.

Old 03-30-2012, 01:44 PM

10,139 posts, read 22,482,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I like it. I would buy it. It would make me happy to look at it everyday.

I would buy it too. Very much reminds me of the Bianchi Nuovo Racing bike I had back in the 80's.

Last edited by Wilson513; 03-30-2012 at 02:02 PM..

Old 03-30-2012, 03:37 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,691,828 times
Thanks guys. I actually had the most recent drawing I did printed out with the intent of trying to sell it, but there was some pixelation apparent in the spokes so I didn't. Guess I'll either have to learn how to draw it in Illustrator or only try to sell prints without straight lines.

Old 03-30-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys. I actually had the most recent drawing I did printed out with the intent of trying to sell it, but there was some pixelation apparent in the spokes so I didn't. Guess I'll either have to learn how to draw it in Illustrator or only try to sell prints without straight lines.

Print it as a giclee' and get out the brush and paint over those lines and anything else that can use help. Spray it with clear Golden Spray Varnish. Sign it in original and sell as an enhanced giclee'.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Print it as a giclee' and get out the brush and paint over those lines and anything else that can use help. Spray it with clear Golden Spray Varnish. Sign it in original and sell as an enhanced giclee'.
Huh, that's not a bad idea. Though I'm extremely inexperienced in painting, but I'd really just be tracing my own drawing.

Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Huh, that's not a bad idea. Though I'm extremely inexperienced in painting, but I'd really just be tracing my own drawing.
Exactly! Get some really good oil paint, not cheapos, and in primary colors and mix all color yourself. It will be a little awkward at first, but the results will be better.

If you don't want to try it, just touch up your drawing with high quality colored pencils like Caran d'Ache or similar and then sign and spray it. The Golden varnish will pop your colors out. (Often ignored technique secret for you).

And, when you have the giclee' printed, why not just have them print it on canvas. The cost difference is insignificant. So, giclee' print on canvas, touch up, sign, spray with Golden, sell.

Here is a place right in your town. Can't say if they are any good, but:

http://www.artscan.com/Price_x2_08.html

Last edited by Wilson513; 03-31-2012 at 10:13 AM..

Old 03-31-2012, 11:25 AM

I'll go check that out Monday, thanks.

Old 03-31-2012, 08:43 PM

2,759 posts, read 3,320,084 times
To me, art is movement or one can imagine the subject moving. This bike looks like it wants to move, like it's ready and willing for someone to ride it, keep it company. That's art.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts