U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,652,155 times

Advertisements

I'll start by saying I've been drawing all my life, although I've never been especially knowledgeable in the subject of art. Most of my drawings are very mechanical in nature, almost like technical drawings but also a little different. I always get ideas for products, or designs, or inventions, and then I draw them out to kind of develop my idea. So really my drawings have always just been a tool I use to help me visualize ideas I have, usually for mechanical things like cars or bicycles. I've never really thought of them as art, necessarily, although I also don't think of them as blueprints either (although I've drawn blueprints as well; I used to be a drafter). So what do you think? Would you call this art? Or is this closer to a technical drawing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 05:50 AM

885 posts, read 1,272,283 times
Technical drawings can be art.

Your drawing is good and it looks like art to me because I can get a sense of the context of the bike and the process of creating the drawing. It looks like you were trying to convey the spirit of the bike that only a human eye can appreciate: the saturation of the rear reflector, the depth of the shadows on the rim, the perfect clean green frame (including welds) - it looks to me that someone enjoyed making this drawing, so to me it's art.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,409,188 times
That's art. For sure.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:34 AM

6,482 posts, read 5,967,208 times
You make the subject warm up to the viewer. There's more than technical detail here. That's art.

Old 10-28-2011, 09:17 AM

2,226 posts, read 1,676,363 times
Techanical art for sure. Since so many things are now included in the fine are realm from oil paintings to digital paintings, photography etc. This also would be included.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:27 AM

2,756 posts, read 5,259,695 times
Art?

No.

What this is, people, is one big fat sloppy helping of "WTF?"

It's a freakin' bicycle, y'all.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
Art?

No.

What this is, people, is one big fat sloppy helping of "WTF?"

It's a freakin' bicycle, y'all.
Are you saying a bicycle can't be art? Many people would strongly disagree with you on that. Especially the many people who still make custom bicycles by hand, often with hand-carved lugs and other unique touches. I'm certainly not saying that my drawing is art, but if it's not then in my opinion that's not because it's a bicycle, but maybe because of my reasons for drawing it. My bicycle drawings usually stem from my desire to create real bicycles but lacking the means or ability. To me my drawing wouldn't necessarily be art, but the bicycle I'd envision most certainly would be if it could be in physical form. I don't think all bicycles would qualify as art, but I'd say some most definitely do.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:39 PM

2,756 posts, read 5,259,695 times
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying.

You're trying to parse words with me, but it ain't gonna work, amigo. In the context of the OP, the word "art" was used in its traditional sense, i.e. the depiction of images and ideas or feelings by use of a medium like paint or ink or photography, blownglass, sculpture, etc.

But what you're talkin' about? The bicycle thing? That object was originally designed as something to be functional; to serva a purpose. So, to me, that's craftsmanship. Not art.

OK...now here's the part, where you come back with your "...but who's to say that craftsmanship isn't art?" art-house goon spiel.
Ready? GO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>

Old 10-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Yes, in the OP I was strictly referring to my own drawing, and like I said, I'm not sure even I would call my own drawing "art", which is the main reason I started the thread. I was curious if others might, in fact, consider my drawings art, since I had never really thought of it that way and it had just occurred to me. And I suppose I even agree with you in that a finely made custom bicycle might be better described with the word "craftsmanship". I'm pretty certain a lot of builders probably think of their bicycles as "ridable art", and I can certainly understand why. But to say that bicycles cannot be art would imply that any utilitarian object that someone has lavished a great deal of care, attention to detail, and a desire for beauty also cannot be art. If that's the case then you must rule out things like architecture, fine furniture, etc. And that's fine if you don't see any of those things as art, but I'd dare say most people would not agree.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:54 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,398,375 times
Ok Op yes it is art, still life, technical art, pen and ink, digital art, etc.
You are expressing or rather portraying how you "see" the bike. Yes it is also realism too. To the other dude that said it's not art, do you ever have art classes? In the classes "we artist" drew chairs that the professor wanted it so real that you could sit on it. I drew a wrench and how I positioned it, it was to show mood. Frontal view=shows taking work head on. Laying down wrench= laying down on the job. And so forth.

In digital art, you make your photos that you take art just from changing the photo filter.

And have you ever seen the pics of Toilets? That's art! Art is a broad range.

Fine Art Major-Raena
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts