Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 03:57 PM

501 posts, read 1,473,814 times

Advertisements

Five years ago I would have suggested Stowe, Vermont as there are a lot of artists living in that area including my MIL. With the economy however galleries up there have been closing. Have you considered Sarasota, Florida? There are many wealthy people living there especially on Siesta Key. They have outdoor art shows too and much cheaper rentals than in NYC available in the city of Sarasota. I remember reading in the Interior Decorating Forum one of the professional interior decorators mentioned that large Abstract paintings are popular in that area of Florida. You might want to research that city. There is quite a bit of culture down there.

My other suggestions would be Philly which has already been suggested or even Lambertville. NJ which has a few art galleries and many people from the city visit. It is located in Hunterdon county right next to the Delaware river and just over the bridge is New Hope, PA. There are also some very wealthy people living in the area. You can find cheaper rental properties in Lambertville and PA. Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2012, 06:38 PM

62 posts, read 166,730 times
Default Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
Five years ago I would have suggested Stowe, Vermont as there are a lot of artists living in that area including my MIL. With the economy however galleries up there have been closing. Have you considered Sarasota, Florida? There are many wealthy people living there especially on Siesta Key. They have outdoor art shows too and much cheaper rentals than in NYC available in the city of Sarasota. I remember reading in the Interior Decorating Forum one of the professional interior decorators mentioned that large Abstract paintings are popular in that area of Florida. You might want to research that city. There is quite a bit of culture down there.

My other suggestions would be Philly which has already been suggested or even Lambertville. NJ which has a few art galleries and many people from the city visit. It is located in Hunterdon county right next to the Delaware river and just over the bridge is New Hope, PA. There are also some very wealthy people living in the area. You can find cheaper rental properties in Lambertville and PA. Good luck in your search!
Thanks. I've read about Sarasota in several other places and it's one of the locations we're planning on visiting and scoping out. Philly is another one and it's one of the ones that seems the most mentioned on city-data when people are talking about up and coming artist areas.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:48 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I am no expert, but the few hotbeds of art activity I have visited are Asheville, Scottsdale, and Seattle.
All nice climates. Go, visit and get a feel for them.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:38 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,624,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulklee53 View Post
I've learned that it doesn't work that way. Where you show your art matters a lot. Show it in the wrong place and nobody'll buy it. Everyone is not an art lover and all art lovers aren't interested in the same kind of art.

I was hoping someone who say something like, "Go to Asheville, NC. It's cheap and lot's of collectors come there looking for art." But, I guess there's no easy answer to my question. Life is hard, then we die :-)

Again, guys, thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
To each their own. *shrug*

We just have different outlooks in art. I paint for the joy of creating the art itself; while you do it for the money.*

*What I mean by that is, if I never sold ONE tiny thing, I would still be happy painting, since it makes me happy to paint.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
To each their own. *shrug*

We just have different outlooks in art. I paint for the joy of creating the art itself; while you do it for the money.*

*What I mean by that is, if I never sold ONE tiny thing, I would still be happy painting, since it makes me happy to paint.
Where do you get that I DON'T paint for the joy of art?

You remind me of someone.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Where do you get that I DON'T paint for the joy of art?

You remind me of someone.
Just from your posts, you sound more motivated my money than by passion. *shrug*

I don't paint cause I can make money from it, I paint cause I enjo it; cause I have a passion for it; cause somewhere in my core, my soul there is a calling to express something, anything on a canvas. That's why I paint, not cause it's a potential paycheck. That's what the college education if for.

Who do I remind you of anyway?

Old 03-23-2012, 07:11 AM

Default No, I'm not that way.

Quote:
Just from your posts, you sound more motivated my money than by passion. *shrug*

I don't paint cause I can make money from it, I paint cause I enjo it; cause I have a passion for it; cause somewhere in my core, my soul there is a calling to express something, anything on a canvas. That's why I paint, not cause it's a potential paycheck. That's what the college education if for.

Who do I remind you of anyway?
That was a "trick" to get you to ask me who you remind me of. You remind me of me. And every other artist who's ever lived. I've never met an artist who didn't feel that way, so I just don't go into it anymore with them and that's why you didn't see it in my post - I feel like I'm preaching to the choir when I do. However, I talk about that to the public when I'm showing my work. If that's what they're looking for. I can act the part of the tortured artist who just has to create, the guy who wants to die with a brush in his hand. Only it's not acting.

If you don't see assume that all other artists that way then I can see how you came to the conclusion you did about me only caring about money. Well, I don't. I'd just like to be able to sell enough of my art at high enough prices that I could make art 40 to 60 hours a week instead of the 20 to 40 that I'm able to devote to it know. I'd still keep my day job as a software developer. I like it and I'm proud of that and I get innate satisfaction from it. I feel that it contributes more to society than I get back in money and I feel good about that. But I would scale it back from 40 hours a week to 20. I'd still volunteer 6 hours a week doing animal rescue work. I hope this clears up your misconception about what motivates me.

Do you know that in the past two messages you've *shrugged* at me twice and 'd me once. That kind of hurt my feelings.

I like your user name. I was 11B1P with the 82d. A long time ago.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I'd just like to be able to sell enough of my art at high enough prices that I could make art 40 to 60 hours a week instead of the 20 to 40 that I'm able to devote to it know. I'd still keep my day job as a software developer. I like it and I'm proud of that and I get innate satisfaction from it. I feel that it contributes more to society than I get back in money and I feel good about that. But I would scale it back from 40 hours a week to 20. I'd still volunteer 6 hours a week doing animal rescue work. I hope this clears up your misconception about what motivates me.

Do you know that in the past two messages you've *shrugged* at me twice and 'd me once. That kind of hurt my feelings.

I like your user name. I was 11B1P with the 82d. A long time ago.

Well, then I apologize for misconstruing your replies. I obviously read something into them incorrectly, and I am sorry for that. (That's a mojor problem with the internet!)

It absolutely does! Again, I am very sorry for that.

Thanks BTW, hubby was with the 3rd Cav and he got out (after injury) in '08. Personally, I was USMC 6541 (Avionics Ordanance) and got out in '98.

It had been a while, lol.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Well, then I apologize for misconstruing your replies. I obviously read something into them incorrectly, and I am sorry for that. (That's a mojor problem with the internet!)

It absolutely does! Again, I am very sorry for that.

Thanks BTW, hubby was with the 3rd Cav and he got out (after injury) in '08. Personally, I was USMC 6541 (Avionics Ordanance) and got out in '98.

It had been a while, lol.
No problem. Not at all. After I re-read my post I realized that living somewhere I could make money really was all I talked about.

Marines and Army - that's what I call a mixed marriage!

Old 03-24-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
No problem. Not at all. After I re-read my post I realized that living somewhere I could make money really was all I talked about.

Marines and Army - that's what I call a mixed marriage!
We are a house divided that's for sure.

But it was fun when he was stationed at Knox, since there is a Marine unit there, lol. I would wear my "Jarhead" t-shirts when we went to the PX with his buddies since we all got the strangest looks. It probably didn't help that at the time I had pink hair, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts