U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 07:49 PM

62 posts, read 138,284 times

Advertisements

I like modern art

This thread is for people who like ďmodernĒ art. Letís try to keep it positive. Talk about what you like and why, not what you donít and why you donít. If you donít like modern art then donít wast your time here. There are plenty of other threads in this forum where you can trash modern art, modern artists and modern art lovers and lots of people will respond in agreement with you.

Iíll start.

I like Piet Mondrian.
His work makes me think of the essence of trees. Thereís more than this to what I like about him and why, but this is all that comes to mind right now.

I like Paul Klee.
I would love to have taken classes from him at the Bauhaus. As you can guess from my handle on this forum heís my favorite artists. One of my bucket list things to do is to go the Zentrum museum in Bern where they have over 4000 of his works and to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art where they also have a substantial number. The only thing is I actually touched a piece of his here in Baltimore. I didnít get in trouble with the museum but my girlfriend read me the riot act and Iíve behaved ever since. However, if surrounded by lots of his work Iím not sure I could control myself. Iíd hate to end up in a Swiss prision for touching art in a museum. I find myself so overwhelmed with his stuff. I feel like Iím in the presence of greatness when I look at his work

I like Kandinsky.
I took me a while to like Kandinsky. While I always liked elements of his work, I also found something unsettling about his pieces as a whole. Literally. It always feels like itís restless and my eyes canít seem to find a resting place or place to focus. Then I realized that Ďs what he wanted and now I feel comfortable with it. In fact, I actively like it. Kind of like the first time you encounter hot spicy food. It takes some getting used to and then you canít do without it

I like Hans Hoffman.
I used to hang around one of his painings in the Milwaukee Art Museum so much that I think the guards were starting to wonder about me. I like to put my palms to within an inch of the canvas and try to ďfeelĒ the energy emanating from the painting.

I like Richard Diebenkorn.
Iím particulary fond of his Ocean Park series.

I like Georgia Oíkeefe
Mainly her landscapes, buildings, and cityscapes. I call all of them abstract but me girlfriend just informed me that her buildings and cityscapes are actually called Precisionism. Doesnít matter, I still like them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 12:01 AM

Default Can't believe I forgot Sean Scully

Wow, I can't believe I forgot this guy. He's fantastic.

Old 03-07-2012, 03:31 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,945,528 times
I like Kandinsky-kinds musical
I like David Hockney
I like Eric Fischl
I like Richard Estes

Old 03-10-2012, 12:58 PM

Default This thread is boring

OK, I’ll man up and admit that I made a mistake by starting this thread. Focusing on what you like is just to boring for words. Literally. So, I guess this thread should become more conventional.

Moderator cut: Please no bashing, name calling, slurs, attacks, racist comments, trolling, inappropriate or obscene language...

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 03-21-2012 at 10:51 AM..

Old 03-17-2012, 03:36 PM

Default Toma

I forgot Toma Abst. I can't wait to see her stuff in person. It's on my bucket list.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:49 PM

11,807 posts, read 9,739,549 times
I'm not a fan of abstract art or most 20th century artists, to be honest. However I do enjoy the realist American painters, including George Bellows and Edward Hopper, as well as some of the pop artists who include social commentary in their works, such as Llyn Foulkes.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:58 PM

Default John Berger - "Ways Of Seeing"

John Berger's work called, "Ways of Seeing" is a must read if you're a fan of non-realistic art. If you feel bored when looking at a lot of the "great" works of many of the old masters but you feel guilty at the same time this guy will explain why. When I look at most such paintings and sculptures, and at newer representational work, I frequently find myself thinking of one of the running gags in an old short-lived TV show called "Police Squad". It's starred Leslie Nielsen who went on to play his character in the "Naked Gun" movies. The running gag was someone offering another person a cigarette by holding the pack out to them and saying, "Cigarette?". Or he would hold a cup of coffee out to them and say, "Coffee?" The other character would always respond with, "Yes, it is." Well, that's how I feel in the presence of most representational art. Yes, it is. Yes, it is a fierce battle. Yes, it's a pretty woman. Yes, that's a pompous person who's impressed with himself. Yes, that's that scene from the bible, greek mythology, etc. It's not lost on me that it takes dedication and practice to render things so well, it's just that I don't care. That in itself is not enough to grab my attention. The pieces that do grab me make me wonder what the artists would be doing if they were with us today. The answer is not what they're famous for. I think they'd be exploring all the kinds of mediums and art that all the people who rail against "modern" art love to disparage.

He articulates and confirms what many of us feel when we ponder our love of abstract art and our lack of response to many of the works of the great masters.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:15 PM

Default Hopper - yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I'm not a fan of abstract art or most 20th century artists, to be honest. However I do enjoy the realist American painters, including George Bellows and Edward Hopper, as well as some of the pop artists who include social commentary in their works, such as Llyn Foulkes.
I like Hopper a lot! The funny thing is, I usually don't like pieces that tell a story. I don't know why, I just don't. But I like his work. I sometimes think that he doesn't need people in his work to convey the feelings that he does. He's one of the ones I can imagine being an abstract expressionist if he'd been born in a different time. He was in his 60's when it started after WWII and was probably set in his ways. Especially since he was already successful by then.

The other two don't do anything for me. I can tell that they have great skill but their works just don't speak to me. And that's all just my opinion. In the end, it's all that matters to me, but in the end it's also just my opinion.

Old 03-17-2012, 04:39 PM

4,343 posts, read 5,164,810 times
Seems to be picking up a little now... Let's see some of these artists!

Old 03-18-2012, 09:59 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,456,274 times
I like modern art too. Just not the doodles and scribbles referenced above. How about some modern art by persons with actual skill?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or