Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 04:54 PM

1,765 posts, read 2,196,135 times

Advertisements

Too young!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 04:24 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times
I have a couple of his paintings, given to me as gifts. I generally like his work, though I don't know why he insisted on making every single room with a window look illuminated.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:32 AM

2,245 posts, read 4,230,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomingArtist View Post
Thomas Kinkade's paintings brought much joy and happiness to many people...and shared a beauty of Spirit...in a World that he envisioned...

...rest in peace...Thomas...

~BloomingArtist~
I own the one at 0:53 and the one at 5:55. I wonder how much they're worth...

Old 04-11-2012, 05:58 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
I liked his earlier work over his later work.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:52 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Loved his work, hated how they were reproduced. Sad day for the art community, he left us too soon.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:51 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
His talents were more in the marketing field than as an artist. I thought his work was trite and way too commercial. Not my taste at all and his business skills were very lacking as well given the number of lawsuits against him and his business practices. He left many a gallery owner in the lurch.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:55 AM

22,823 posts, read 6,432,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
His talents were more in the marketing field than as an artist. I thought his work was trite and way too commercial. Not my taste at all and his business skills were very lacking as well given the number of lawsuits against him and his business practices. He left many a gallery owner in the lurch.
That's "enlightening". Sorry he's gone, but also sorry if others suffered because of his actions...

Old 04-14-2012, 01:33 PM

737 posts, read 1,148,318 times
It's sad when anyone dies so young.

I did not like his work at all. A step above black velvet or starving artist paintings. I've referred to it as fine art for a double wide. Enough people must have liked it to sell so much.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post

A step above black velvet or starving artist paintings. I've referred to it as fine art for a double wide. Enough people must have liked it to sell so much.
pretty much sums it up. There is no underestimating the bad taste of the American public. Beanie Babies come to mind. Let someone think your product is rare ,"limited edition", special or hard to find and you have got it made.

I was once in a collectible store whose owner revamped their back room to the specifics of a Kinkade Gallery and witnessed the show for myself. Special lights, talk of investment, limited editions and such. I wanted to puke.

I have spent some recent time in Vietnam where I saw shop after shop filled with young men mass producing "Original Starving Artist Masterpieces". They work from a photo clipped on preprinted canvas and whip these things out like nobody's business. Of course they are paid by the piece and a pittance at that.

Not sure where Kinkade had his factories but they were certainly mass produced "under the direct supervision of talented artists." How sad.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:59 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post

I did not like his work at all. A step above black velvet or starving artist paintings. I've referred to it as fine art for a double wide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
pretty much sums it up. There is no underestimating the bad taste of the American public. Beanie Babies come to mind. Let someone think your product is rare ,"limited edition", special or hard to find and you have got it made.

I was once in a collectible store whose owner revamped their back room to the specifics of a Kinkade Gallery and witnessed the show for myself. Special lights, talk of investment, limited editions and such. I wanted to puke.
I agree with jodipper and no kudzu entirely.

It was sad that Mr. Kinkade died at a relatively young age and my heart goes out to his family and friends.

Personally, I could not stand his pictures. That's just my opinion. Saccharine sweet and cloying, they were overly commercial and lacked any originality. To me they were nauseating. Really tacky stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts