Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 04:05 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times

Advertisements

Why would an unskilled person try to tackle something like a 100+ years old painting?

BBC News - Spanish fresco restoration botched by amateur

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 02:35 AM

830 posts, read 1,665,690 times
Yeah I saw that story a little while ago. It's just odd. Why would she even want to get involved? It's so bad it's like someone did it on purpose! Trying to make a cartoon monkey Jesus or something.

Old 09-23-2012, 01:23 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Actually, that town is very grateful as there have not been so many tourists there in a long time. There are souvenir shops selling copies of that mess There is even a computer program where one can have one's own face put into the fresco
The town has decided not to have the fresco restored, but leave it the way it is now

Old 09-24-2012, 02:47 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
And now she wants a cut from the revenues the town is making

Old 09-24-2012, 11:38 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Why would an unskilled person try to tackle something like a 100+ years old painting?

BBC News - Spanish fresco restoration botched by amateur
What the hell is that - an Irish Bigfoot?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:05 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayah(812) View Post
Yeah I saw that story a little while ago. It's just odd. Why would she even want to get involved? It's so bad it's like someone did it on purpose! Trying to make a cartoon monkey Jesus or something.
Because it was messy looking.
A lot of people have no tolerance for the wear and tear that comes from age and heavy use.p

The old lady had exactly the same impulse that leads others to refinish antique furniture with polyurethane, paint old carousel horses, which were originally painted naturalistically, pink or blue or green, and similar things. I have seen a lot of old artwork that was seriously messed up with the best of intentions. When people get over their heads in work like this, there is a reluctance to just quit, so they make a bad job all the worse by trying to fix their first mistakes. She never set out to make Jesus look like an ape, for sure- that would be vandalism, and her intentions were just the opposite from damaging the fresco.

Restoration as a word has different meanings to different people. The fresco technique is one that lies outside most modern folk's knowledge completely, and restoring old frescos is a particularly difficult undertaking. The old lady simply didn't know a thing about how to do it, but she 'fixed' all the flaking problems. Whatever else she did wrong, she sure did a good job of covering all the flaking!

Not everyone is intimidated by problems they don't know how to fix. We all have seen the results of amateur repair attempts gone very wrong. (and that's why I don't try to do plumbing anymore). People appreciate art in different ways, too. For some, art is only decoration of an otherwise empty wall.

Last edited by banjomike; 09-26-2012 at 06:15 AM..

Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 AM

The first time I saw that on TV I had to laugh so much Even I could have done that

Then again, it's not a famous piece of art or anything, so I don't get the fuss some art people are making about it...

Old 10-13-2012, 09:55 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,105,410 times
Fall-down-laughing funny!

Old 11-29-2012, 10:08 AM

Just read about a similar story from Brazil, but the result is slightly better

Restauro deixa Santa Bárbara com cara de Barbie - Visao.pt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts