Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 05:48 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,992,098 times

Advertisements

Being a computer geek/tech type person I'm not much into art. I don't know if any of you are familiar with George Carpenter, he was an artist from Maine that passed in 2006. I used to do all his computer work and he painted me a specific scene at my request (that fact probably adds nothing to its retail value).

How can I determine a value for insurance purposes? I know it's not a gold mine, looking at asking prices on ebay (doesn't everyone value their art based on ebay? ), and taking into account it's size (14x11) and age (around 2001 give or take) I'm guessing maybe 2 or 3 hundred, but again, I have no clue, could be worth more, or less, just looking for a place to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 08:29 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
You will need to have your painting appraised by someone with some credentials, so it's good to check with your insurer before contacting anyone to learn who they will accept.
If Carpenter sold his work by himself, and never used a gallery or another person, the family may be the only 'expert' in your painting. Your insurer may want to see some copies of his sales receipts or other records.

Then, if you know Mr. Carpenter's agent, gallerist or family, I would ask them. They could give you good provenance for your painting and good financial info to provide to your insurance company.

'Provenance' is a record of how you obtained the painting, from whom, and when it was given. If you swapped your labor and gave Mr. Carpenter an invoice for what your charges were, that itself may establish the painting's worth in part. If his paintings are more valuable than your charges, that's something that the insurers need to know. If money changed hands, then what you paid also is valuable info.

If Carpenter's works are popular and his market is strong, you should add some additional insurance. Art is a commodity, so if you keep the painting with no intentions of selling it, be aware it may not become automatically more valuable as the years go by. Once a value is established, it's always good to check on how his works are doing in the market from time to time.

eBay is a crappy way to try to establish value. Too much of eBay swings too far, and essentially, every bidder is a bargain basement hunter first, and very often gets caught up in bidding fever later. You can go nuts trying to establish a base value from looking there. Don't presume anything if you have no clue as to how his sale prices were when he was alive. You may be surprised or disappointed if you go by your guess, and your insurance company probably won't take an eBay record seriously.

Here is a much better net source, but it will cost you $13.50 for a 24 hour subscription.
http://www.askart.com/askart/c/georg...carpenter.aspx

This should give you all you need to know about how his work is doing now. $13.50 may be worth it, depending on how much trouble it is for you to dig the info up from the methods above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts