U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:13 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,319,815 times

Advertisements

Ralph Steadman
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 01:19 AM

80 posts, read 110,168 times
I was gonna say Richter and Ryden but they're already mentioned. So, Takashi Murakami (originally a painter but multimedia now). A couple of people said Thomas Kinkade is "not an artist"; I would like to add that he passed on to the cozy cabin in the sky (died 2012).

Old 10-03-2013, 12:52 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,196,429 times
Quote:
A couple of people said Thomas Kinkade is "not an artist";
I think he was as we understand the word 'artist' but I'd wonder if criticism of him would have been the same if he did not say 'market' himself so much to the public at large. Kind of ironic in that an artist's popularity really indubitably rates high in that 'mass' market. Things is it looks like in the profession of 'ART', it's a no-no to deliberately go out there by 'advertising' and actively canvassing for sales.

Old 10-04-2013, 08:19 AM

8,666 posts, read 4,767,829 times
jon mcnaughton.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:33 AM

420 posts, read 507,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I can't think of any painters in the traditional sense, but I am a fan of Kazuo Oga, but he paints animation backgrounds (beautifully, IMO).
Nice. Off topic, but I more like the art and animation style of Kazuto Nakazawa. I believe he even did the Oren Ishii animation from Kill Bill.

Edit --

On second look Oga's work is damn good. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I think he was as we understand the word 'artist' but I'd wonder if criticism of him would have been the same if he did not say 'market' himself so much to the public at large. Kind of ironic in that an artist's popularity really indubitably rates high in that 'mass' market. Things is it looks like in the profession of 'ART', it's a no-no to deliberately go out there by 'advertising' and actively canvassing for sales.
It's fine to do that. He just went way over the top with it.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:46 AM

7,779 posts, read 8,687,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
I think the reason Kincaide advertised is not the reason he failed to rate. It had nothing at all to do with his efforts being unacceptable to those in the art world. The reason is the product he produced, the cutesy, Christmas card scenes of sugar plum sweetness. The sort of picture people like if they know nothing about Fine Art.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I think the reason Kincaide advertised is not the reason he failed to rate. It had nothing at all to do with his efforts being unacceptable to those in the art world. The reason is the product he produced, the cutesy, Christmas card scenes of sugar plum sweetness. The sort of picture people like if they know nothing about Fine Art.
Well, he always said that he was into making mass market type of work. I think the reason he was disliked was his propensity for shoving his philosophies down other artists throats that they should think more like him and also the way he pushed his stuff "highest selling artist...more than so and so and so and so COMBINED!".

Old 10-06-2013, 12:00 PM

7,779 posts, read 8,687,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
Well, he always said that he was into making mass market type of work. I think the reason he was disliked was his propensity for shoving his philosophies down other artists throats that they should think more like him and also the way he pushed his stuff "highest selling artist...more than so and so and so and so COMBINED!".
I have no quarrel at all with what anyone thinks if that's what they want. I have no idea what Kincaide said about anything. My references are to his work, not to anything he said. His work told me all I needed to know. The people who had him shove his philosophies down their throats must have liked it if it caused them to believe what he said. If that caused them to dislike him, it didn't take much.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:35 PM

4,456 posts, read 3,196,429 times
You know even if Kinkade was criticized for his work his popularity by a specific part of the population really kind of showed what they wanted in a piece of art in their homes. Those Christmasey scenes sure give a notion of some kind of nostalgia for a past time long gone. Kinkade apparently tapped into that and fed into those dreamy reveries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts