U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 PM

50,506 posts, read 49,864,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know even if Kinkade was criticized for his work his popularity by a specific part of the population really kind of showed what they wanted in a piece of art in their homes. Those Christmasey scenes sure give a notion of some kind of nostalgia for a past time long gone. Kinkade apparently tapped into that and fed into those dreamy reveries.
My mother really liked his stuff and so we bought my parents one for their anniversary years ago. It's still in my mom's house, and I really do like the picture. It's a road or path leading into a flowered woods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 07:08 PM

3,464 posts, read 4,261,115 times
Im personally blown away by the new surrealist movement. Mark Ryden, Bob Dob and many more. For illustration-Daniel Danger, mcbess, Lori Earley, Tara McPhereson . . .I could go on and on~ Its' a fabulous time for aficionado's of current art and artists

Old 10-14-2013, 10:31 PM

80 posts, read 118,414 times
There's a new biography out about Lucien Freud, which goes into his gambling and philandering etc and interviews many people in his life, including some of his kids who haven't spoken before. Written by a friend who had breakfast with him quite alot in his later years. Looks interesting.

Breakfast with Lucien

Old 10-16-2013, 11:47 AM

Much to my shame I misspelled Lucian Freud twice in the above post and didn't realize it until after the edit option timed out.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:55 AM

42,567 posts, read 42,081,347 times
Top Living Contemporary Artists - Business Insider

Old 10-30-2013, 06:49 PM

559 posts, read 1,068,717 times
I'm the original poster and have some thoughts after reading the replies.

1. I'm not knowledgeable about the art world so I'm probably a decent stand-in for the general public. Almost all of the painters named are unknown to me, at least by name, so I'm concluding that for the vast majority, the answer to my original title is, "no."

2. Thomas Kinkade is a lightning rod. As I noted in my first post, his artistic merit is contentious but he was a very well known painter. I honestly don't know if he actually painted all of his originals? I know he had a factory to manufacture copies for sale but did he also just oversee a group of artists who created new paintings in his style? Without his phenomenal commercial success, he'd probably be in the company of sci-fi and fantasy illustrators like Frank Frazetta, Boris (Vallejo), Olivia (De Berardinis), Jeff Jones, Bernie Wrightson, Greg & Tim Hildebrandt and all the unsung artists who created book and LP cover art.

3. A bit surprised that quite a number of anime/manga artists were mentioned. I know it's gotten much more available so it's not totally unexpected but I remember when it was a truly outsider hobby with a tiny number of dedicated fans trading nth generation VHS dubs.

4. One (not the only) test of whether a painter is well-known to the general public is if their style is used in the media as a trope: The disjointed body parts of a Picasso; the comic book style of Lichtenstein; repeated, high-contrast false color images are instantly identified as Warhol; Mondrian's multicolored primary color mosaic style is used for anything from dresses to architecture. I can't think of any living painter like this except for Shepard Fairey (mentioned by Raena77 in post #7), whose Obama image has become a meme.

5. The fact that I (and others) had to look up to see whether David Hockney, Jasper Johns, Ed Ruscha are still alive (they are as of 10/30/13) means that these giants are no longer in the public consciousness.

6. In the original post, I wondered if the position of famous living painters has been taken over by designers and architects but I forgot to add sculpture and installation artists like Jeff Koons (balloon dog), Richard Serra (giant sheet metal slabs) and the most famous and (financially) successful of all, Damien Hirst. I also overlooked the fact that Hirst is also a painter, with a massive number of spot & spin paintings, many (most?) of which he didn't paint. They've been in the news more than once as the subject of counterfeiting scandals.

A bit tangential but chuckleworthy: The L Magazine - How to Make Cheap Copies of 10 Damien Hirst Artworks

7. Here are a couple of artists I learned about from an unlikely source: "Last Call with Carson Daly"

a. Alexa Meade paints 3-D scenes, usually people, to appear 2-D. Her Wikipedia entry: Alexa Meade - Wikipedia

Turns out she has her own thread in this very forum: This is not a painting (son) - City-Data Forum

Her work reminds me of the Pageant of the Masters, held annually in Laguna Beach, California: About the Pageant | Festival of Arts Pageant of the Masters

b. Phil Hansen developed a hand tremor while in art school and learned to exploit it to his advantage making variants of pointillist paintings. Phil Hansen's Art

c. Maybe he was featured on Carson Daly but I first became aware of Robert Williams when I saw the original LP for Guns and Roses' "Appetite for Destruction." I almost picked up the album for the cover art alone but at the time I dismissed GnR as just another glam band and passed. Robert Williams (artist) - Wikipedia

Old 10-30-2013, 07:05 PM

42,567 posts, read 42,081,347 times
I know many graphic artist say the computer programs can be learned easily. But to know the true basics of art is key. Drawing, sketching, charcoal, conte, oil, acrylic, pottery,and so forth.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 PM

I've had the pleasure of chatting with Boris Vallejo and his wife Julie Bell several times in my bookshop, as they live less than an hour away here in PA. I'd been a fan of his work since the day my dad bought me a "science fiction and fantasy art" compendium when I was a kid in the late 1970's, which featured Boris along with the Hildebrandts, Frazetta and about a hundred other sf/fantasy artists and which inspired my own work. I love Robert Williams too!

Old 10-31-2013, 07:36 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,503,440 times
Quote:
2. Thomas Kinkade is a lightning rod. As I noted in my first post, his artistic merit is contentious but he was a very well known painter.
For sure. And just a comment. Picasso is also a 'well-known' painter as well as Kinkade. One of the things that are different with him compared to Kinkade is the observation that 'everybody' loves Picasso..well maybe 'almost' everybody'..;-).... If there's criticism I just don't think we hear about it say as much as we do about Kinkade's work. Is there perhaps a high art vs low art dichotomy that's say operating here? Is Picasso truly more 'valuable' than a 'Kinkade' and why?

Old 10-31-2013, 08:02 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,518,356 times
Last week there was an article, plus photos of David Hockney's latest "work." He used an electronic tablet, turning out huge landscapes. From the photos, they appear to be 4'X8'. In my opinion, they are juvenile and only mentioned because Hockney made them, possible spending 3 minutes before sending them off to be enlarged.

I've never heard 'everyone' loves Picasso. I do think many admire his work. Kinkaid's name doesn't come to mind in any way when there is a discussion of art. If it were discovered he didn't paint all his painting, my reaction would be to not care, since it makes no difference if he did or didn't. He hit on a formula the public liked and used it to his advantage. Good for him. His art and Fine Art are two different categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts