U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:51 AM

559 posts, read 1,069,084 times

Advertisements

I recently heard the question, "can you name a living painter?" on the radio or TV. And it took me longer than I expected to come up with one. I couldn't remember Chuck Close's name without looking it up although I know about him from his many appearances on Charlie Rose. I had to check to verify that David Hockney is still with us. Looks like Jasper Johns and Edward Ruscha are still alive as well. I only know about Takashi "superflat" Murakami since his show in L.A. generated a huge amount of buzz. But are any of these guys really well known?

I'm old enough to remember when Picasso was still alive and there probably wasn't a single American who didn't know his name. It seems that up through the 20th century, there were many painters who were known to the general public by just their last name (Lichtenstein, Warhol, de Kooning, etc.) but are there very few now? Has painting just faded away as an artistic medium? It seems that architects and designers (fashion and industrial) are still well known - Target has had great success in partnering with famous designers. Maybe also graffiti artists such as Banksy?

The most well known recent painter was probably Thomas Kinkade, "painter of light," but he just died last year; and his artistic merit is contentious. LeRoy Neiman was pretty famous to older folks like me but he just died last year as well. So are there some really well known living painters?

Last edited by drunk on kool aid; 05-12-2013 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 05:25 PM

9,745 posts, read 13,565,861 times
I can't think of any painters in the traditional sense, but I am a fan of Kazuo Oga, but he paints animation backgrounds (beautifully, IMO).

Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM

34,058 posts, read 42,249,967 times
Funny, Chuck Close is the first that came to mind for me too. I think what you mean is that we all knew the upcoming artists back in the day, in the pop art movement, but now there are no big names popping up in the consciousness of the public.
Since I pay attention to such things, I know of two: Bill Hall, and Brad Moody. Not nationally known, but career painters.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:16 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,523,447 times
Kinkade and Neiman are not in the same category as most of the others you name. If I had one of Kinkade's painting it would not be on the wall. It would be in a closet. I shudder at the thought I would have to look for long at one of his efforts. He will not be noted in history of art. I do think the general public knew the name Warhol, but, not the others. I think those of us familiar with the names of major artists forget that most people don't know diddilly squat about them (or care).

Old 05-12-2013, 06:31 PM

484 posts, read 583,441 times
Normand Chartier

Old 05-12-2013, 06:36 PM

12,251 posts, read 10,532,965 times
Since I am an artist and part of the local community...I recognize brilliance in so many.
I go to Taos and Santa Fe and am blown away.
There are too many great artists that are not known on the National Fine Arts Curcuit.
We all know this...that are brilliant artists.
Support your local Galleries!

Old 05-12-2013, 06:38 PM

42,567 posts, read 42,100,049 times
Shepard Fairey

Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 AM

19,205 posts, read 12,839,171 times
One of my favorite living artists is Wayne Thiebaud. I had the good fortune of meeting him once.

Wayne was considered a pop art painter, along with Andy Warlhol and Roy Lichetenstein, as he did a lot of paintings of cakes, toys and everyday objects in the 60's, but his work never had the self-conscious satirical elements of pop art- he was more interested in capturing the surface textures of has subjects, and he succeeded- his paintings of pies and cupcakes look so good they make your mouth water.
He has done city landscapes for far longer now, and they are all marvels of altered perspective.

I think Wayne must be bumping 90 now, but he's in good health. I hope to see more of his new work for many years.

http://poulwebb.blogspot.com/2010/11...andscapes.html

Old 05-14-2013, 11:44 AM

2,431 posts, read 4,350,043 times
Not since Andrew Wyeth died a few years ago. I loved going to his museum and seeing recent works. His son Jamie still paints, but it's just not the same.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:47 AM

1,817 posts, read 2,664,977 times
Julian Schnabel, Anselm Kiefer, Francesco Clemente, Gerhard Richter
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts