U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:27 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,563,632 times

Advertisements

Does anyone beside me, find it odd that the fine arts forum is so small, draws little attention
and/or feedback?
There's more discussions and feedback about zombie movies, the Kardashians, high heels
and Real Housewives. Does this say anything about us as a society and culture and the
nature of creativity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 PM

493 posts, read 387,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Does anyone beside me, find it odd that the fine arts forum is so small, draws little attention
and/or feedback?
There's more discussions and feedback about zombie movies, the Kardashians, high heels
and Real Housewives. Does this say anything about us as a society and culture and the
nature of creativity?
Not surprising at all, this is not a web site that is GEARED towards fine art or arts in general, it's a city data related site, they just stuck all these different topical folders in hoping to increase traffic, one has to look around for a web site forum that has a focus on ONLY sculptures to get any quality discussion going.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:19 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,926,779 times
I am just thinking that there should be more on here than just fine art. Maybe just "art" as there are tons of young kids into drawing anime.

Most of the art forums have discussions about techniques and things something that is not done too often here though. More people go on those forums.

Yes, I do find it sad when people think art is "boring" - they have not been to an art museum I bet. Art looks MUCH better as original than looking at a print or online or something. Also, if they know the stories BEHIND the art, it becomes much more interesting. Little children love to draw and they love colors and are so exuberant about creating things with their hands - it is a shame that people lose than when they get older.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 PM

All across the country schools have been cutting back or eliminating art class due to budget problems, that's when things like art get cut out.

Anime... I think of how they made the old cartoons in the 50s with thousands of hand drawn and painted drawings , that was art! They don't make cartoons like that any more, it's all done fake on computer, back in the 50s you had to have real drawing talent and skills to do those.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:16 AM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
I think we as parents need to foster a love of fine arts in our children by taking them to museums and exposing them to lots of different forms of art like dance, sculpture, drawing, painting, etc. Our kids may not have talent but they can learn to appreciate all the many kinds of art in life.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
All across the country schools have been cutting back or eliminating art class due to budget problems, that's when things like art get cut out.

Anime... I think of how they made the old cartoons in the 50s with thousands of hand drawn and painted drawings , that was art! They don't make cartoons like that any more, it's all done fake on computer, back in the 50s you had to have real drawing talent and skills to do those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I think we as parents need to foster a love of fine arts in our children by taking them to museums and exposing them to lots of different forms of art like dance, sculpture, drawing, painting, etc. Our kids may not have talent but they can learn to appreciate all the many kinds of art in life.
Students who take art use critical thinking skills and do much better academically. Unfortunately,
the arts are being cut in schools especially the visual arts.
I agree that the animation process in old cartoons were done by talented and trained artists.
As a matter of fact, even in films like The Birds, artist Albert Whitlock painted scenes which
we saw as Bodega Bay. Cartoon stills from Warner Bros. and Disney can fetch a pretty some
due to the work involved.
Yes, as a cultured society and enlightened individual we do need to be exposed to the performing and visual
arts.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 PM

10,542 posts, read 4,676,858 times
Quote:
and/or feedback?
nature of creativity?
Well, I was surprised that the thread for showing one's own artwork (in this section) was so dusty/idle.
I tried reviving it, but didn't want to hog it all to myself, and other people weren't posting in it, so...

ETA: Just went & looked, and wonder of wonders, some people have posted in that thread-
I had been checking it more awhile back, but hadn't recently.

As for the larger question,
I'd say it has to do with the blurring of "highbrow" & "lowbrow" definitions of art/product
and the crossover between analog & digital representations.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
Well, I was surprised that the thread for showing one's own artwork (in this section) was so dusty/idle.
I tried reviving it, but didn't want to hog it all to myself, and other people weren't posting in it, so...

ETA: Just went & looked, and wonder of wonders, some people have posted in that thread-

I'd say it has to do with the blurring of "highbrow" & "lowbrow" definitions of art/product
Probably one of the stumbling blocks is the stringent rules against posting anything that can even appear like "advertising", it seems you can't post links to your web site either, so a lot of content and participation that would, could or should be in this forum aren't going to be.
I doubt any of us posting here run any big commercial businesses, or have to post on a forum like this to get sales, it's us little guys doing hobby type things here.
Also, if you read their rules, buried in it is this:
Quote:
By registering and posting on City-Data.com's Forums you grant owners of City-data.com forum a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive right to license, use, modify, or publish your posts in any media and manner whatsoever.
I know a lot of people would not appreciate their images and things being hijacked that way forever and for no royalties, according to that statement they can do whatever they want to with your posted content, including your photos, yet at the same time while they can republish and use those for their own profit, WE are forbidden from anything that could be considered "advertising" that might bring a few measly dollars in!

Old 07-31-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sculptor View Post
Probably one of the stumbling blocks is the stringent rules against posting anything that can even appear like "advertising", it seems you can't post links to your web site either, so a lot of content and participation that would, could or should be in this forum aren't going to be.
I doubt any of us posting here run any big commercial businesses, or have to post on a forum like this to get sales, it's us little guys doing hobby type things here.
Also, if you read their rules, buried in it is this:

I know a lot of people would not appreciate their images and things being hijacked that way forever and for no royalties, according to that statement they can do whatever they want to with your posted content, including your photos, yet at the same time while they can republish and use those for their own profit, WE are forbidden from anything that could be considered "advertising" that might bring a few measly dollars in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

Just wanted to add, that I am very hesitant to post any of my art work because I put in so much
time, training and thought behind every piece I made and the last thing I want is for someone else
to copy, imitate, plagiarize or reproduce my work. My only protection would be to copyright
each piece. Imitation is not the sincerest form of flattery when the thief makes a profit from
my idea.

Old 08-24-2013, 10:15 AM

2,473 posts, read 2,729,125 times
Quote:
and/or feedback?
nature of creativity?

Yesterday I read a graffiti artist's biography. The conclusion described his work as "a way to separate the world of fine art and popular culture". Does that say it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts