Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:35 PM

306 posts, read 451,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Georgia O'Keeffe was short (it was a TV movie) but very good.

Thanks for recommending this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:41 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,039,467 times
In New York Stories (1989), a Martin Scorsese film which has 3 separate stories, one is called Life Lessons starring Nick Nolte. He plays a fictional painter, (but based on real artist Chuck Connelly) and it has really stuck in my mind all these years.

Last edited by nightlysparrow; 08-11-2013 at 06:21 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 08:17 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
You know I'd suggest Simon Schama's 'The Power of Art'. They are technically not movies as such on the artists but show short vignettes of famous painters, Turner and David for example. Very engaging in my estimation. The presnetation of Turner is absolutely fascinating.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:55 PM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Great recommendations everyone. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The Agony and the Ecstasy is an oldie but goodie.
Deja vu. I was just looking at Carol Reed movies on netflix after watching Our Man From Havana and saw this title. Did not realize it was about Michelangelo. Added to my text file queue as my netflix queue is full.

I will recommend Rembrandt (1936) starring Charles Laughton as Rembrandt von Rijn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
You know I'd suggest Simon Schama's 'The Power of Art'. They are technically not movies as such on the artists but show short vignettes of famous painters, Turner and David for example. Very engaging in my estimation. The presnetation of Turner is absolutely fascinating.
Very interesting. Add to the queue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Georgia O'Keeffe was short (it was a TV movie) but very good.
Joan Allen, I'm there!

Old 08-16-2013, 02:43 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
i've been watching many of renoir's son's movies - jean renoir. they're very good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha.M View Post
Are they? I would not even know where to get old movies like that...
They are available for sale, amazon, etc., and netflix has a bunch of them. Here are a few that I've seen:

A Day in the Country 1936 this one is outstanding!
The Lower Debts 1936
Grand Illusion 1937
The Rules of the Game 1939
The Diary of a Chambermaid 1946
The River 1951, excellent! a must see.

Quote:
If you want more movies, I have just dug up an old thread from the wetcanvas forum, where they name more movies about painters. It is a bit dated, from 2005.:
The best movies about art.... - WetCanvas
great thread! i'll save it for future reference.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:59 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Max is a good movie that's entirely fictional, but could be accurate if a few things had changed.

It's the story of Max Rothman, played by John Cusack, who's an art dealer in post- World War I Vienna and his relationship with Adolph Hitler.

Hitler was a failed artist in Vienna before the war, and tried the profession again after the war was over, with no more success than before. Rothman is also a veteran, from a wealthy Austrian Jewish family, who lost an arm in the war, and is trying to establish himself as an avant-garde art dealer.

The pair have a lot in common, but Max sees the post-war world much differently than Hitler, who is just beginning to understand his speaking powers and is just forming his beliefs. Hitler is torn by his growing anti-semitism, but sees Max as his only way out of total poverty.
Max sees potential in Hitler if he can just convince him to quit his painting style that failed him earlier. Both are swept up in the drastically changing times.

It's one of the very few movies of it's type that was both unpredictable and gripped me as a drama. EVerything was extremely accurate to the times and the tensions.
Vienna was THE center of the European art world at the turn of the 20th century; it's major painters attracted much more attention and much higher prices for their work than anywhere else, and it's avant-garde artists were much more controversial than the Impressionists and the others who followed them. The war killed several, from Austria, Great Britain and France, and the flue epidemic in 1918 killed more.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:03 PM

Just some more in my collection....If you like 'artistes' you may like these..pardon if mentioned already..

"Goya's Ghosts" ...directed by Milos Forman
"England, My England"...a film on the English composer Henry Purcell....a Tony Palmer film
"Time Regained"..well if you like Proust....
"Mephisto"....an actor trying to survive for his art in Nazi Germany
"Rothko's Rooms"...really a doc on Rothko...an excellent work to get to understand Rothko and his work...

Enjoy...

Old 08-20-2013, 12:30 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
I liked "Pollack", and the movie starring Kirk Douglas (about Davinci?).

Old 08-25-2013, 08:50 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Default Two Great Movies

I am really surprised no one mentioned two exceptional films of the "Golden Age" of Hollywood ... both highly regarded by the critics:

Lust For Life (1956) starring Kirk Douglas and Anthony Quinn. Directed by the great Vincente Minelli. Doughlas plays Vincent Van Gogh, and doesn't sugar coat the great painter's mental illness. A bio-pic of the of the obsessive and tortured Dutch Post Impressionist. It's a little hard to be sympathetic to Vincent because he is just so intense and self absorbed. Beautiful photography and outdoor scenes.

Rembrandt (1936) starring Charles Laughton and Elsa Lanchester. Directed by the great Alexander Korda, this is a biopic of the great Dutch Old Master himself. Laughton portrays Rembrandt as a wise, philosophical, but impractical man. When the movie was made it conformed to the "facts" about the great artist's life as commonly believed at that time ... that he was born of a modest peasant miller's family, and the high society of Amsterdam rejected his "Night Watch" which hastened his decline in popularity as a portrait painter. Research since then has debunked those myths: Rembrandt was the privileged son of a miller, but a successful affluent one ... and he was enrolled in Latin School and also the University in his home town of Leiden. The Night Watch was not rejected, but the aging Rembrandt gradually lost important commissions to younger and more fashionable painters - some of whom were his students!

Old 08-26-2013, 07:32 AM

Care to comment on the 'Night Watch?' Is that his most famous painting and how is it looked at in ref to all his other works? Thx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts