U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 01:09 PM

2,501 posts, read 2,749,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
it's a moving target. browser version updates are not always known immediately, so there is a scramble to adjust your site to these changes. i don't like adding java or adobe flash everytime i open a web page, so i remain in the dark to these features. why should i? if the target audience cannot see your content, who lost out? there should always be a less feature rich web site option. always.
You are getting in over my head now. If I get the monster turned on and find it working as it should, I figure I've had a successful day. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 PM

3,070 posts, read 4,202,662 times
True, the browser issue is always changing but these problems don't show up too often. The majority of websites are built well enough to be stable across most platforms. I think it will only get better. But even so, we need to have artists at the helm of the design situation, not just technicians as is so often the case.

Old 08-28-2013, 06:20 PM

4,878 posts, read 4,595,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
From my experience the graduating students for graphics are less and less artists themselves. The schools sell them on the idea that they don't need to be able to draw to do graphics. Which I don't agree with at all, but those doing it defend to the hilt. I have seen designers that have no artistic abilities think they can design nonetheless and they just don't understand composition and color treatment. Artists have a 'feel' for this that is somewhat innate in my opinion. This is why we end up with black copy on blue backgrounds. That designer just doesn't know what they are doing.

I do run into problems like this from time to time and I end up copying and pasting the offending article into my email so I can read it. Sometimes you can't copy it and then I can't read it.
Excellently explained and why we see some incredible work vs mediocre.

Old 08-29-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Excellently explained and why we see some incredible work vs mediocre.

And they can't be failed even when teachers want to fail them. Teachers are told 'They paid tuition and they expect a diploma. We have to give it to them." It is sad, yes.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:44 AM

3,070 posts, read 4,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
And they can't be failed even when teachers want to fail them. Teachers are told 'They paid tuition and they expect a diploma. We have to give it to them." It is sad, yes.
I think you're right about that.

Old 09-09-2013, 06:54 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,973,907 times
BAD untrained graphic designers. Thing is, there are lot of people who think they are all that with graphic design... and that it is easy - and anyone can do it. It is not easy and it is in the end - responsible for effective communication. If it doesn't provide that it fails.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
BAD untrained graphic designers. Thing is, there are lot of people who think they are all that with graphic design... and that it is easy - and anyone can do it. It is not easy and it is in the end - responsible for effective communication. If it doesn't provide that it fails.
What amazes me is that they do not see the problem after they have created it. Surely, if others see it and complain that they can't read it, the creator should also see that? Can they create a web site without ever seeing the results?

Old 09-09-2013, 10:53 AM

3,748 posts, read 5,849,719 times
A good web designer is supposed to run a 'test'. If they don't, then they are neglecting thier clients.
We design is expensive and it should be totally tested and top notch.
I'm sure there are a dozen self taught designers for every one that is properly trained, so with that, I could see how some sites just don't make it up to par. Then there is the client who knows nothing about color theory.
I have a friend who had her site designed by someone. I went and looked at it and while it was readable, the text was all over the spectrum, there was no set color scheme. Made for a very busy page....which in my opinion was somewhat ugly.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:17 PM

19,496 posts, read 13,146,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
But, can't it be corrected once they do know?
It depends on the skill of the web designer.
All colors are equal on the web and all are a combination of the 3 generated colors the human eye can detect- blue, yellow, and green. Your monitor generates color. Black comes from lack of generated light, not pigment.

All other media- painting, colored pencils, ink, etc.- are all results of reflected light. The sun (or a lightbulb or a TV set to max brightness) shines on the pigments and excites them. Our eyes pick up the very faint atomic excitement and recognize it as a particular color.

That's why some colors seen on a monitor are impossible to reproduce in print. Green is the optically strongest generated color on a monitor, while the same green does not excite the eye nearly as much when it's a reflected color in print.

A web designer who doesn't understand how generated color works, and has no experience calibrating the colors on his monitor, may create a web page that looks fine to him but not to anyone else. A solid green or blue background may be so vivid the black type is overcome, for example.

Print color design depends on black to darken all colors. 4-color process printing, the most common way to print in color, depends on the colors black, cyan (a bright medium blue), yellow, and magenta (a medium red-pink) to each be laid down in a specific order. Each color has it's own printing plate. In areas that are pure color, solid yellow as an example, the other plates have a area that is blocked out, so only the yellow ink is printed on the white paper.

Color separation in print requires some expertise. A color mistake is very costly once it goes from a monitor screen to a printing plate, then inked and printed on paper stock. Web design has none of these costs, so a design bonehead can create a web page about as easily as a person who knows the craft.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:52 PM

I do not understand any of that but I do know not to try to do something I know nothing about. Of course, they think they know all about it. Color means nothing to them. Only the 'how to put something on paper or monitor - the mechanics of the process. Could be they are totally color blind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or