U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2013, 10:42 AM
 
2,483 posts, read 2,738,369 times
Reputation: 1101

Advertisements

I am so glad to find that there is an art forum. I have wanted to see one for a long while. Thank you all in advance for the education you are going to impart to me.

I have a pet peeve that I'd like to hear discussed. Why do "they" print black on dark color? Or any color, for that matter. I was just at a web site where some excellent articles explain how colors interact. I was going to get so much out of it. I guess not.

The page has, on the left, the table of contents. The article is in the center and can be scrolled beneath that column. Fine so far. However, on the right is a column of many colors and all quite dark. The sentences of the article overlap those colors and cannot be read for the life of me. There is no way to scroll away from this. Scroll left and the color column follows with the print still atop it.

Black on very dark blue? Can anyone read that? If so, they have super-power vision. Magazines are also doing it. Orange on yellow? Black on red? Please?

Is there any logic to this? Are they playing games with us? Do they ever look to see what their pages look like after they finish?

OK. I had a reason for searching out that page and I still have that need. I'll post it in another. Meanwhile, thank you all for a good discussion of the above practice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2013, 12:08 PM
 
3,070 posts, read 4,187,380 times
Reputation: 4485
Sounds so contradictory to their story. Can you post the site?

From my experience the graduating students for graphics are less and less artists themselves. The schools sell them on the idea that they don't need to be able to draw to do graphics. Which I don't agree with at all, but those doing it defend to the hilt. I have seen designers that have no artistic abilities think they can design nonetheless and they just don't understand composition and color treatment. Artists have a 'feel' for this that is somewhat innate in my opinion. This is why we end up with black copy on blue backgrounds. That designer just doesn't know what they are doing.

I do run into problems like this from time to time and I end up copying and pasting the offending article into my email so I can read it. Sometimes you can't copy it and then I can't read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV, U.S.A.
9,694 posts, read 5,684,306 times
Reputation: 17469
I can't imagine web site design. What with the plethora of browsers that may or may not support the bell or whistle you have set up, not to mention if the person reading your page with browser X may or may not have downloaded the app to make that whistle sing. So you really don't know how your page will look, from the publisher's point of view (pov), let alone, what a page will look like when you visit it for the first time, from the end user pov.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 12:14 PM
 
3,070 posts, read 4,187,380 times
Reputation: 4485
That said, there might be something wrong with their programming and it isn't working in your browser. Not all web designers know how to make their sites work on all browsers. If you can, try looking at the same sight in different browsers and stretching open the whole view area from right to left. If it is 'scaleable' it will sometimes overlap like you described.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 12:22 PM
 
2,483 posts, read 2,738,369 times
Reputation: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Sounds so contradictory to their story. Can you post the site?

From my experience the graduating students for graphics are less and less artists themselves. The schools sell them on the idea that they don't need to be able to draw to do graphics. Which I don't agree with at all, but those doing it defend to the hilt. I have seen designers that have no artistic abilities think they can design nonetheless and they just don't understand composition and color treatment. Artists have a 'feel' for this that is somewhat innate in my opinion. This is why we end up with black copy on blue backgrounds. That designer just doesn't know what they are doing.

I do run into problems like this from time to time and I end up copying and pasting the offending article into my email so I can read it. Sometimes you can't copy it and then I can't read it.
I watched a friend trying to teach web design. She would tell them the same things you said but most felt they knew best and nothing changed.

Your method works online but not with books and magazines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 12:23 PM
 
2,483 posts, read 2,738,369 times
Reputation: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by f.2 View Post
I can't imagine web site design. What with the plethora of browsers that may or may not support the bell or whistle you have set up, not to mention if the person reading your page with browser X may or may not have downloaded the app to make that whistle sing. So you really don't know how your page will look, from the publisher's point of view (pov), let alone, what a page will look like when you visit it for the first time, from the end user pov.
But, can't it be corrected once they do know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 12:26 PM
 
2,483 posts, read 2,738,369 times
Reputation: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
That said, there might be something wrong with their programming and it isn't working in your browser. Not all web designers know how to make their sites work on all browsers. If you can, try looking at the same sight in different browsers and stretching open the whole view area from right to left. If it is 'scaleable' it will sometimes overlap like you described.

While I do occasionally see it online, as I did yesterday, I see more of it in magazines. They are trying to "pretty them up", never thinking about someone wanting to read the text. Maybe they think no one reads the text. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 12:35 PM
 
3,070 posts, read 4,187,380 times
Reputation: 4485
There is no excuse for making type hard to read whether in print or online. My typographer instructor told us "The purpose of type is to be READ"
and I have never forgotten that. I can only think that these designers don't know the basics of color theory at all. It's a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 12:55 PM
 
2,483 posts, read 2,738,369 times
Reputation: 1101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
There is no excuse for making type hard to read whether in print or online. My typographer instructor told us "The purpose of type is to be READ"
and I have never forgotten that. I can only think that these designers don't know the basics of color theory at all. It's a shame.
I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Henderson, NV, U.S.A.
9,694 posts, read 5,684,306 times
Reputation: 17469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
But, can't it be corrected once they do know?
it's a moving target. browser version updates are not always known immediately, so there is a scramble to adjust your site to these changes. i don't like adding java or adobe flash everytime i open a web page, so i remain in the dark to these features. why should i? if the target audience cannot see your content, who lost out? there should always be a less feature rich web site option. always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top