U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2013, 01:55 PM

8,281 posts, read 8,571,689 times

Advertisements

New van Gogh painting discovered: 'Sunset at Montmajour' - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 12:11 AM

83 posts, read 114,597 times
Yes!!!
It looks like a remarkable painting, with the warm southern landscape under this beautiful evening sky full of soft pinks and lavenders, and the darkening deep blue mountains on the horizon... I am sure it is much better appreciated in the original, the energy in Von Gogh's brushstrokes is amazing - especially in his late paintings - and does not come across in reproductions.

It makes me a bit sad that this painting will only be available to the public for a short time at the Van Gogh Museum Amsterdam, before most likely being sold off :-( to some rich Russian or Chinese guy with not one artistic bone in his body who will put it into a vault as "investment".

If I am lucky I will actually be in Amsterdam for a weekend this fall. I wanted mainly to see the new Rijksmuseum, but maybe I should make a stop at the Van Gogh museum to have a look :-)

Old 09-21-2013, 02:53 PM

19,513 posts, read 13,156,741 times
The mention of 'extensive research' in the CNN reportage is amusing.
The painting has been known of for many decades. It has a long history of alternately being declared a forgery by art experts and being declared genuine by other art experts.

Van Gogh mentioned the painting in a letter to his benefactor brother in happy glowing terms, and his description fits this painting very precisely. Even so, because it didn't look like his older stuff, there were experts who adamantly denied it was genuine.

I'm no expert,, but I've seen several large Van Gogh exhibits, and this painting, which was done very late in his life, looked genuine to me, even though it also shows evidence of his style evolving. If he had lived just a year longer, I think there would have been many more that looked like this one. Van Gogh's most popular works have always been from his second period as a painter; his earliest works were done very traditionally with very smooth and fine brushwork. One notable example is The Potato Eaters. That painting looks nothing at all like the ones that came along later.

Van Gogh was a very productive painter, and, at times, painted manically. During those periods, he sometimes completed 2 paintings in a 24-30 hour period, with no sleep at all.

Given so much effort, it would seem natural to me that his style would change. Heavy practice always creates changes in any undertaking. Since he was almost always broke and and mentally ill, I'll bet there are still other paintings awaiting discovery in some old attic in Arles or Ste. Maries, gathering dust and patiently waiting for daylight again.

One interesting thing that has nothing to do with the painting:
Jeanne Calment, a French lady who, at age 122 years and 164 days, lived the longest life ever recorded, once sold some colored pencils to Van Gogh in her uncle's fabric shop when she was 13. She found him to be ugly, smelly, and disagreeable.

She was born in 1875 and died in 1997. Imagining what she experienced in her incredibly long life, it's a wonder that she even remembered Van Gogh, but to the end, her memory remained remarkably clear.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:16 AM

4,878 posts, read 4,597,484 times
It would be nice to see this newly discovered piece as well as his works in Amsterdam. I was
fortunate to see an exceptional exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago in 2001. The show
was a collection of P. Gauguin and V. Van Gogh during their 9 weeks together in the "studio
of the South" in Arles. The collection of their work together was inspirational.
In that exhibit was the first time I saw the original first "Starry Night over the Rhone."

Ironic that during Van Gogh's lifetime only one painting "The Red Vineyard at Arles,"
was sold by his brother Theo. Noticed on the link that Van Gogh's house has
sat empty and hopefully can be restored and used as a museum.

Old 09-23-2013, 09:51 PM

3,070 posts, read 4,204,586 times
It seems so involved...

Old 09-25-2013, 03:26 AM

9,723 posts, read 5,717,774 times
i like it.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 AM

4,878 posts, read 4,597,484 times
I'd like to own it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts