U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 06:53 PM

465 posts, read 948,184 times

Advertisements

My daughter is a top dancer in a dance school that we enrolled her in. She is 14. Every year they do a big production that is featured in the community and gets a lot of press. My daughter has been given the lead role in this production. However, the opening night performance where the press is present and there is a social function to follow, they are giving the lead role to another dancer (my daughter does the other 7 performances). Her mom is married to a local business leader and she is helping to raise $50K for building improvements.

I vociferously complained to the director that this was unfair and puts my daughter in an awkward position with the other students (probably to the other student who will be lead for only 1 performance, too, but I didn't mention that).

I've always told my daughter that talent wins out and cream rises to the top.

Anyway, looking for some suggestions on how to deal with this. My first thought was to pull her from the school, but there are limited dance schools around here. 2nd, we both work but I'm not going to donate or fundraise for this school (not within our means or ability).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 10:06 PM

13,496 posts, read 14,000,274 times
talent doesn't always win out. life isn't fair. a good life lesson for sure. no reason to pull her out of school as long as she is getting something out of class. if it becomes too unfair and she is no longer enjoying it, drop out.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:21 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,949,788 times
Agreed, mostly though money wins out over all. Unfortunately.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:43 PM

465 posts, read 948,184 times
I guess I've watched too many professional sports. There, the most talented take the field.

Old 11-08-2013, 07:22 AM

80 posts, read 177,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
talent doesn't always win out. life isn't fair. a good life lesson for sure. no reason to pull her out of school as long as she is getting something out of class. if it becomes too unfair and she is no longer enjoying it, drop out.
I agree. But I would go a step further and send out a press release or take out an ad so that your daughter's performances get seen and lauded.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:24 PM

6,415 posts, read 10,053,814 times
It's not true of professional sports, either. Success usually has to do with being in the right place at the right time, not talent.

Look at it this way, your daughter is going to benefit from the money raised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or