U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 11:41 AM

4,456 posts, read 3,548,269 times

Advertisements

Francis Bacon's picture titled ' Three Studies of Lucian Freud' is now the most expensive artwork sold at auction bringing in 142.4 million at Christie's. Wow. That'll buy alot of paint and easels. Curious as to why so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 PM

4,878 posts, read 4,589,421 times
The ultimate status symbol for the ultra rich.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:33 AM

3,748 posts, read 5,843,203 times
It's a triptych. Three large paintings make the whole of the piece.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
It's a triptych. Three large paintings make the whole of the piece.
From the looks of it, the individual or corp entity who bought it might have made a great buy. I'd wonder if the 'parts' may someday be greater than the 'whole' ....;-).....

Old 11-14-2013, 03:56 PM

3,748 posts, read 5,843,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
From the looks of it, the individual or corp entity who bought it might have made a great buy. I'd wonder if the 'parts' may someday be greater than the 'whole' ....;-).....
Possibly so. Consider Andy Worhol's Campbell's Soup paintings. I believe there are over 30 of them. Andy wanted to sell them piece by piece, but the gallery owner just could not come to terms with breaking up the set, so he bought them all. They remain a full collection to this day and are to never be seperated.

Old 11-16-2013, 10:52 AM

21 posts, read 18,446 times
My problem with art is that an art piece can only be sold at a certain price after that artist dies.

Old 11-17-2013, 05:13 AM

15,618 posts, read 9,645,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harold3761 View Post
My problem with art is that an art piece can only be sold at a certain price after that artist dies.
not sure I understand-a little dense sometimes.

Do you mean an artist's death increase the value of a painting?

Old 11-18-2013, 02:28 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,073,341 times
Default status

. I'v said this before many time --many of these so called art lovers dont care about the art is just an investment and/or status symbol.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:42 PM

19,462 posts, read 13,112,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harold3761 View Post
Not always. Lucien Freud died a millionaire, as did Picasso, Matisse, and many others. Even more led very comfortable lives, and even centuries ago, good artists were able to lead massively better lives than the rest of their kinfolk.

Bacon's disturbing paintings made him a very wealthy man long before his death.

Why his works were so popular may be confusing to an American, but the British have always had a taste for the dark and disturbing stuff. Alfred Sickley and many other British artists produced very disturbing stuff that would be thought to be sick and twisted here.
But the cream always rises. Bacon was a damned good painter, and his art packed a lot of emotional freight. The same can be said about the American DeKooning, who did his share of disturbing paintings. He was also very well off when he died, too.

One thing is for sure. The masterworks of the 20th century are now pulling prices once only reserved for the 19th and earlier centuries. I believe this may be due as much to changing tastes as to availability.

Personally, I've never liked Warhol's stuff. It's all second-rate silkscreening to me, and I'll take a Roy Lichtenstein over a Warhol any day of the week. The same goes with Wayne Thiebaud, too. And Mel Ramos.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Why his works were so popular may be confusing to an American, but the British have always had a taste for the dark and disturbing stuff. Alfred Sickley and many other British artists produced very disturbing stuff that would be thought to be sick and twisted here.
But the cream always rises. Bacon was a damned good painter, and his art packed a lot of emotional freight. The same can be said about the American DeKooning, who did his share of disturbing paintings. He was also very well off when he died, too.
Very interesting points. Right, I am stunned at how 'popular' a Bacon painting has become. Is the art perhaps an expensive 'taste' of the times which as you noted focuses now on the 'disturbed' and 'unbalanced'? We apparently are at the other end of the spectrum say from the Mona Lisa. Really Bacon's painting all have the 'posions' right up there on the surface. He sets it right up to the viewer's face. heheh what's happening to so-called 'beauty'?' ...;-)...Arguably it now looks like it's lost or perhaps undergoing a transformation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or