U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2013, 07:44 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,263,580 times

Advertisements

Does anybody really love this stuff. I can play with fonts on my blogs and other places all day long.

I really love the gorgeous website I Love Typography.

Perhaps I love letters so much because of my deep love of reading and reading. Even when I was 3 or 4, I was obsessed with the alphabet and recited it to my mother every chance I got! (I never had any real interest in numbers).

Now I love them for the design aspect as much as the literary aspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 07:22 PM

19,362 posts, read 13,027,109 times
Oh, yeah. Thousands of graphic artists love fonts and hand lettering as art forms. A carefully designed font can speed up a reader or slow him down, and careful typesetting immerses the words it forms into a world of it's own for a reader, whether it's conscious or not.

I have participated in projects that could take weeks of discussion to decide on which fonts would do the job best. The words are critically important, of course, but the fonts carry the freight ever time.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:26 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,932,091 times
Agreed, it is definitely a very important part of communications. People just do not realize it. It is almost subliminal.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:36 PM

42,565 posts, read 42,426,763 times
A font is a form of art. I used font within a political poster and made letters to appear 3-d in a gold setting that you would read on a snowglobe.

I also sign my art as a another name in 3-d tile fonts ranging from impact, Lucinda sands, script, old English, ect.

I enjoy moving the shadow in all kinds of distortions.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:52 PM

19,362 posts, read 13,027,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Agreed, it is definitely a very important part of communications. People just do not realize it. It is almost subliminal.
Yes, indeed. Selecting the right type face for the text of a book has a very important part in how well the book sells. A large book will read faster with one font but not another, and text fonts create a lot of subliminal perceptions that can make a funny novel funnier, a vampire book more ominous, and many other subtle emotions that the reader never realizes.

Headline fonts do the same. The right font can sell the same book much faster than another font.

There are many serious discussions that go on in print houses about this. Selecting the best fonts is always critical to book sales. If a person ever gets to see galley prints, test runs of the same text using different fonts, the differences are immediately noticeable.

Ironically, some of the oldest typefaces are still the ones that work the best. Back when printing type was all hand cut, typographers devised some mathematical rules that made a letter legible at small sizes. The basic rules go all the way back to the scribes of the Middle Ages.

Those old typefaces have all undergone many very small and incredibly subtle changes done by later typographers. Each small change is intentional, and very often is commissioned for a particular purpose, such as newspaper print. The fonts Times, Times New Roman, and New Times were all specifically created for the New York Times, and all were based on a type face that was almost 200 years older.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:19 PM

3,070 posts, read 4,175,383 times
Love it! Typography used correctly makes anything come alive and sing!

Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 PM

2,683 posts, read 3,263,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Yes, indeed. Selecting the right type face for the text of a book has a very important part in how well the book sells. A large book will read faster with one font but not another, and text fonts create a lot of subliminal perceptions that can make a funny novel funnier, a vampire book more ominous, and many other subtle emotions that the reader never realizes.

Headline fonts do the same. The right font can sell the same book much faster than another font.

There are many serious discussions that go on in print houses about this. Selecting the best fonts is always critical to book sales. If a person ever gets to see galley prints, test runs of the same text using different fonts, the differences are immediately noticeable.

Ironically, some of the oldest typefaces are still the ones that work the best. Back when printing type was all hand cut, typographers devised some mathematical rules that made a letter legible at small sizes. The basic rules go all the way back to the scribes of the Middle Ages.

Those old typefaces have all undergone many very small and incredibly subtle changes done by later typographers. Each small change is intentional, and very often is commissioned for a particular purpose, such as newspaper print. The fonts Times, Times New Roman, and New Times were all specifically created for the New York Times, and all were based on a type face that was almost 200 years older.
When I see a book with beautiful typography I am more likely to buy it. I love a beautifully made book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or