Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 03:16 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,107 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to paint pictures but never have tried, I am home recouping from surgery and thought if not now then when.
How do I get started? a friend of mine paints and brought over some books and suggested I start with paint by numbers.
I am on a fixed income and cannot afford to go out and buy a bunch of painting supplies and then realize that I have no talent and push the materials to the corner frustrated. No deep end diving for me- baby pool please. I am retired and realize time is precious and I would like to develop whatever talent I may have.
Would getting paint by number kits be a way to start? brushes? etc, etc.
Any advice would be helpful.

Sid
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 07:36 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
You could begin with a paint by numbers.

Reeves Paint By Number Artist's Collection, 12" x 16", Rail Birds | Staples®

Here's a brief guide to painting. If you go to the next step after Paint by Numbers, I would suggest understanding the
color wheel and would start with watercolors. Water colors are done on paper and it is relatively inexpensive. Play with
it first: wet the paper and then start applying paints, try some dry brush and you can also use a fine point marker
for additional detail afterwards. Check You Tube videos also that will provide an overview and step by step instructions.
And don't be too concerned if you make mistakes or an error. Mistakes are learning tools and sometimes they can
become the best part of a piece. Good luck

5 Ways to Paint - wikiHow

Old 11-26-2013, 08:02 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
There are many websites giving instructions on how to paint pictures. Paint by number means buying a kit containing whatever is needed and filling in spaces with paint. Going about it a more creative way would be to follow suggestions at how to paint sites. Tubes of oil paint are different prices, but mixing to get many various colors is easy. A basic red, yellow and blue, with black and white is really all that's needed. So many different items can be used as a surface to paint on. Cover it with a coat of latex house paint and it's ready.

Old 11-26-2013, 08:53 AM

I wouldn't suggest oils for a beginner - the paints are expensive as well as brushes. The OP has never painted before
and wants to take small steps to start. So a $15.00 paint by number is a start for him or her or buying paper and
a small water color set (again, learning the color wheel, mixing primary colors and adding bits of black and white.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,607,107 times
Default Wanting to begin Painting

Thank you for the post. A neighbor here suggested paint by numbers too as did my sister-in-law but when I telephoned a friend when I used to live in New Orleans that is a graphic artist and painter he pooh-pooed the idea and said it will develop bad habits and I should start with oils because it is easier to use than acrylics or watercolor and eventually I will need to go with oils anyway.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM

Well, there are some painters who prefer oils however oils take a long time to dry & brushes require cleaning with turpentine
(although I've attached a link that suggests you can use soap and water). Many painters use acrylics and don't bother
with oils and there are no fumes (you need ventilation). Your friend prefers using them but no where did I ever hear that
using anything else was a bad habit (it's just a preference).

4 Ways to Oil Paint - wikiHow

How to Clean Oil Paint off a Paint Brush With Dish Soap: 8 Steps

Old 11-26-2013, 11:22 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Almost anything said in an internet forum is likely to be contradicted. I have many years training in several types of paint, but, I'll leave the advice to others. Good luck.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:26 AM

484 posts, read 761,069 times
We had a challenge back in art school to create a painting from items found in our house. As in - use coffee (great for watercolors), or mustard for yellows, etc etc. It was quite fun to discover what works really well!

Old 11-26-2013, 04:12 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
I wouldn't suggest oils for a beginner - the paints are expensive as well as brushes. The OP has never painted before
and wants to take small steps to start. So a $15.00 paint by number is a start for him or her or buying paper and
a small water color set (again, learning the color wheel, mixing primary colors and adding bits of black and white.
How about acrylics?

Old 11-26-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
How about acrylics?
I am trying help the OP get started. Sid (OP) wants to try it and gives the reasons why
as well as a few limitations for right now. It would cost Sid a bit of money to get started using
acrylics but maybe in time the OP may want to pursue that eventually. btw, I have a degree in
the Fine Arts and was a teacher, so my posts are intended to help Sid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsidw View Post
I have always wanted to paint pictures but never have tried, I am home recouping from surgery and thought if not now then when.
How do I get started? a friend of mine paints and brought over some books and suggested I start with paint by numbers.
I am on a fixed income and cannot afford to go out and buy a bunch of painting supplies and then realize that I have no talent and push the materials to the corner frustrated. No deep end diving for me- baby pool please. I am retired and realize time is precious and I would like to develop whatever talent I may have.
Would getting paint by number kits be a way to start? brushes? etc, etc.
Any advice would be helpful.

Sid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts