U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 04:09 AM

873 posts, read 1,428,337 times

Advertisements

I love Art History by Marilyn Stokstad. It was my textbook for an into level art history class and I found it be very informative. I ended up getting a second hand copy for class, but when I graduated with my BA in art history, I bought it. I generally use it more for reference than straight reading.

If you're interested in simply learning about art history, you can do so for a lot less than $100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 04:53 AM

2,473 posts, read 2,730,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by altlover85 View Post
I love Art History by Marilyn Stokstad. It was my textbook for an into level art history class and I found it be very informative. I ended up getting a second hand copy for class, but when I graduated with my BA in art history, I bought it. I generally use it more for reference than straight reading.

If you're interested in simply learning about art history, you can do so for a lot less than $100.
Thank you. I'll check it out. It is hard to buy a book sight-unseen. B&N doesn't carry much in the art category. I am wondering if we perhaps have a university book store that might have it. I'll call around.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:59 PM

19,360 posts, read 13,027,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
That is a flaw I am finding in many an art book. They do not cover Asian, African and, quite often South America. I grew up on history books like that. World History covered Europe and North America.

Thanks about the DVD information.
True to a point. Most of the art history textbooks focus when pertaining to ancient art is more on the art than the location. Ancient Egyptian art is a good example of this. All the books I ever read skipped around at first, going from cave art in Europe to Assyria in the middle east to Egypt in Africa, mostly because those are the places where monumental work survives.

Western art's progression is pretty linear, and there is a lot of it, so it's easier for art historians to concentrate on it. But western art has always had major influences from the far east, the middle east, Africa and all the distant places that lie in between, and those influences are too often skipped over or given cursory treatment.

It's understandable; art is done everywhere, and every region has ancient traditions and roots of it's own, and the roots tend to survive forever. Trying to cover all the bases over thousands of years is a tough proposition for any single text.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:18 PM

2,473 posts, read 2,730,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
True to a point. Most of the art history textbooks focus when pertaining to ancient art is more on the art than the location. Ancient Egyptian art is a good example of this. All the books I ever read skipped around at first, going from cave art in Europe to Assyria in the middle east to Egypt in Africa, mostly because those are the places where monumental work survives.

Western art's progression is pretty linear, and there is a lot of it, so it's easier for art historians to concentrate on it. But western art has always had major influences from the far east, the middle east, Africa and all the distant places that lie in between, and those influences are too often skipped over or given cursory treatment.

It's understandable; art is done everywhere, and every region has ancient traditions and roots of it's own, and the roots tend to survive forever. Trying to cover all the bases over thousands of years is a tough proposition for any single text.
No doubt but do you find separate texts for those other areas? That would also work.

There is a book - the title of which I forget now - that covers ceramics from every area of the world. But that is doubtless a more narrow field. Anyway, I could not find the book. Probably out of print.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:02 AM

19,360 posts, read 13,027,109 times
Quote:
No doubt but do you find separate texts for those other areas? That would also work.

There is a book - the title of which I forget now - that covers ceramics from every area of the world. But that is doubtless a more narrow field. Anyway, I could not find the book. Probably out of print.
Yep.
An introduction to art history book is just the beginning if a person really wants to learn art history in all it's complexity.

I took art history a long time ago, when a single big book was used for a course. I thought back then that a series of smaller books, each concentrating on more specifics and narrower in scope would have been a better way of learning.

Now that we have the massive advantages of cheap and sophisticated electronics, I think art history is best learned by computers; a student can skip back and forth between eras and various periods to learn how the interconnections work much easier and better than using a huge single text. There's no way a student who knows nothing going into an art history class is going to get anything but overviews that are sometimes thorough and other times sketchy.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:06 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,566,877 times
When I first started, there was that large and expensive book. However I also took several course which included Inuit,
Native American, History of Architecture and Asian history. I will agree that computers/internet is a useful tool to start but
there is nothing better than a 35mm slide of works or better yet seeing artwork in person. Example, the Mona Lisa. I was
surprised when I saw it in person (many years ago) how small it was. Pieces by Van Gogh, Giacometti, Michelangelo, Seurat,
etc...have to be seen. The details, brush strokes, the size, color, even fingerprints of the artist in bronze sculptures..........are not visible on a screen.
It is an ongoing learning process - a web of interconnected cultures that influenced many artists and art and history
enthusiasts.

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 12-15-2013 at 07:56 AM..

Old 12-15-2013, 09:26 AM

3,748 posts, read 5,817,437 times
Quote:
That is a flaw I am finding in many an art book. They do not cover Asian, African and, quite often South America. I grew up on history books like that. World History covered Europe and North America.

Thanks about the DVD information.
That is because most books that cover art history cover only western and not world art. I 'complained' about this as well when taking art history. I wanted to learn more about Asian, especially Japanese art. However, when it comes to art and it's history, much of it is in the west with the guilds and academys, art was a movement. It was the Greeks who took art to another level with their realism and anatomically correctness. Art from there built upon each era and was circulated around all of Europe.
So I understand why the focus on the 'west'.

So if you want an all encompassing book, stay away from one that says 'western'. The orient and North America etc. will not be included.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts