U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-16-2013, 04:43 AM
 
2,473 posts, read 2,729,984 times
Reputation: 1095

Advertisements

Edward Hopper painted a picture titled Rooms by the Sea.

Edward Hopper: Rooms by the Sea

A friend has an almost identical print on her wall which she was told was painted by Winslow Homer. I cannot find it online. So, I do not know the title. Does anyone know? Or did Winslow Homer paint such a picture?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-16-2013, 10:38 AM
 
4,877 posts, read 4,565,254 times
Reputation: 7268
Yale University "Rooms by the Sea."

Rooms by the*Sea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2013, 10:59 AM
 
2,473 posts, read 2,729,984 times
Reputation: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Yale University "Rooms by the Sea."

Rooms by the*Sea
Yes, that is Edward Hopper's. What I was asking about is one allegedly done by Winslow Homer that looks quite similar to Hopper's. If he (Homer) did one, what is its title? If he did not, somebody was misinformed.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2013, 02:06 PM
 
4,877 posts, read 4,565,254 times
Reputation: 7268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Yes, that is Edward Hopper's. What I was asking about is one allegedly done by Winslow Homer that looks quite similar to Hopper's. If he (Homer) did one, what is its title? If he did not, somebody was misinformed.
Thank you.
W. Homer did many sea and water paintings (some were very realistic). Could this be the one you are
referring to?


http://www.askart.com/AskART/images/...slow_homer.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2013, 02:11 PM
 
2,473 posts, read 2,729,984 times
Reputation: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
W. Homer did many sea and water paintings (some were very realistic). Could this be the one you are
referring to?


http://www.askart.com/AskART/images/...slow_homer.jpg

Thank you but no. The one my friend has a print of is a doorway standing open with the sea outside, exactly like that which Edward Hopper painted. She bought it from one of these art prints catalogs. That is where she got the name Winslow Homer as the artist. So far, I have not found any evidence of such a picture done my Winslow Homer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2013, 02:36 PM
 
Location: Under the Redwoods
3,748 posts, read 5,815,409 times
Reputation: 5962
It is quite possible someone at the catalog company got thier artists mixed up.
The styles of these two artists are quite different. Plus, subject matter seems to take a different approach and of course there are decades of difference for the times in which they were painting and that is reflected in thier subject matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2013, 02:49 PM
 
2,473 posts, read 2,729,984 times
Reputation: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
It is quite possible someone at the catalog company got thier artists mixed up.
The styles of these two artists are quite different. Plus, subject matter seems to take a different approach and of course there are decades of difference for the times in which they were painting and that is reflected in thier subject matter.
I also thought that - that the styles are different except perhaps the one that BaileyvPotter showed. So, if nobody here recognizes a similar picture for Winslow Homer, I say the catalog was wrong. We are all entitled to be wrong once in a while.

Thank you both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2013, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Old Mother Idaho
19,360 posts, read 13,021,568 times
Reputation: 14065
Homer did a lot of seascapes.
Is it possible your friend got the two names mixed up? Hopper and Homer sound very similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2013, 06:08 AM
 
2,473 posts, read 2,729,984 times
Reputation: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Homer did a lot of seascapes.
Is it possible your friend got the two names mixed up? Hopper and Homer sound very similar.
Could be. I'll not raise the issue with her. I only wanted to satisfy my own mind and, if the two did do almost identical paintings, see them. I think it is just a mixup.

Speaking of mixups, how often do you hear "Homer Winslow" as opposed to "Winslow Homer"? I confess I've done it a time or two in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top