Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 06:56 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,222,449 times

Advertisements

^^^^I think so too. The Vienna Academy was a very prestigious school and Hitler didn't even finish
school which required a "School Leaving Certificate." No doubt he was insane but the link below
gives some information that fueled his madness.

Adolf Hitler
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:36 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,615,477 times
Quote:
No doubt he was insane but the link below
gives some information that fueled his madness.
What a character who ever lived in the world.

Last night I watched the film 'Operation Valkyrie' which tells the story of the Stauffenberg assassination attempt on Hitler when he was at an army conference at the 'Wolf's Lair'. Amazing how hard it is to kill bad guys. Stauffenberg thought he did it but it wasn't so. Hitler survived and many paid for that attempt, allegedly 2000 executions and not counting those who were sent to prison and concentration camps.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:17 AM

^^^^I know it's hard to believe. A bit off topic but my grandfather was sent to a camp and my parents fled Eastern
Europe during the war. He also hated Eastern Europeans, Gypsies, Gays, to think about he was nothing but evil (oh and
I'll include Stalin). Since my parents and grandparents went through WWII, I've heard many stories and am interested
in WWII history. Btw; there is an excellent documentary (on netflix) "Nazi Hunters," 13 episodes (2010). One episode
about Hermann Goring briefly touches on his treasured art collection. At the end of the war, Hitler also gave orders
to kill Goring for treason.

Old 05-06-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
A bit off topic but my grandfather was sent to a camp and my parents fled Eastern
Europe during the war.
Alot of bad water leaders were drinking in some countries of the early 20th wouldn't you say? The poisons in it let loose egregious acts on Europe's populations.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:58 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,759 times
Gurlitt is dead!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/07/ar...s-died.html?hp

Old 05-07-2014, 03:01 PM

Wow...I can only think that he was somebody who probably never slept after the world heard about all that art he had.
I'd think the stress no doubt was too much for him.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:02 PM

Wonder what will happen now with his collection.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:53 PM

Gawd, what a riveting story the whole thing is...and imagine if Gurlitt had quietly died before the authorities got wise to his collection....and with no relatives, friends or contacts to call.. and then imagine if some frustrated, insensitive landlord or someone quickly throws together an impromptu apartment contents sale.

"What did you say you want for this one?"

Last edited by Tantalust; 05-07-2014 at 05:07 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Wow...I can only think that he was somebody who probably never slept after the world heard about all that art he had.
I'd think the stress no doubt was too much for him.
Yup, I'm sure of it. Those incredible art objects were like flesh and blood to him....I can understand.

Old 05-15-2014, 05:31 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,163,693 times
The recent film 'The Monument Men' has been accused of playing fast and loose with the true historical facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC History Extra

Dr Nigel Pollard of Swansea University awarded the film two stars out of five for historical accuracy. Pollard wrote that

"There’s a kernel of history there, but The Monuments Men plays fast and loose with it in ways that are probably necessary to make the story work as a film, but the viewer ends up with a fairly confused notion of what the organisation Monuments, Fine Arts, and Archives program (MFAA) was, and what it achieved.

The real organisation was never a big one (a few dozen officers at most), but the film reduces it to just seven men to personalise the hunt for the looted art: five Americans, one British officer, the first to be killed off (Hugh Bonneville) and a Free French officer, marginalising the British role in the establishment of the organisation.

This is presented as set up at Clooney’s initiative after the bombing of Monte Cassino (so, after February 1944). In fact, its origins actually went back to British efforts in Libya in 1942, and it already existed (albeit with teething troubles) when the Allies invaded Sicily in July 1943.

Much of its actual role related to safeguarding sites in Allied-occupied areas, advising Allied air and ground forces on how to avoid damage to cultural sites in war zones, and first-aid conservation of damaged structures – but these tasks get short shrift in the film, which focuses instead on the more exciting hunt for the looted artworks."

Historian at the Movies: a review of The Monuments Men film starring George Clooney and Matt Damon | History Extra

The British roots of the Monuments Men - The Art Newspaper

George Clooney film on hunt for Nazi art thefts attacked for ignoring real-life British war hero | Film | The Observer

Focus Film -Clooney Film ‘The Monuments Men’ Attacked For Overlooking British War Hero

How Hollywood wrote the real Monuments Man out of history: British academic gave his life to protect art from the Nazis... but he doesn't even get a mention in the new George Clooney blockbuster | Mail Online

Anne Olivier Bell: The last of the 'Monuments Men' | Art and design | The Guardian

The Monument Men just comes over as more 'how America saved the say' rubbish, and it seems Americans would rather be overly sentimental about WW2 than face the truth in respect of recent conflicts with the Pentagon having been warned with regard to Iraqi Art and Museum Collections during the Iraq War but doing little to secure the historic artefacts and unique collections in places such as Baghdad.

Who's to Blame for Iraq Museum Looting? - ABC News

Last edited by Bamford; 05-15-2014 at 05:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts