Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:00 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,689,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
My neighbor once encased a TV dinner in resin after he cooked it and then didn't have the guts to eat it. He then framed it and placed it on the wall ! It was art he proclaimed and a few weeks later it was gone. "What happened to it ?" I asked. He said the peas turned black and he was sick over it so he trashed it ! But it was good art while it lasted !
What? There's no room in art for black peas? What's wrong with black peas (as long as they don't smell)?

I do acrylic (prefer oils, actually, they're easier to work with). Was fascinated with folk art and decorative painting, so took a workshop and became a Donna Dewberry certified instructor. I enjoy the method of painting that she developed - and sometimes I use a blend of those techniques and my own.
I paint animals, landscapes, still lifes, and decorate furniture, walls, glass (as in plates and wine glasses). "If it stands still long enough, I'll paint it".

I do other things, but that seems to be my primary interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 07:16 AM

98 posts, read 373,893 times
Take classes! No, really, take classes! I do have the talent (until now, I had never said these 5 little words lol), but I am lacking the discipline and the know-how on a lot of things. You will get so much out of a drawing class alone, which is what I suggest you take before you take a painting class because it will free your hand of any preconceived notions of what you think things look like. It will tune your eye and hand together, and it will take your brain out of the equation.

It is because of my lack of discipline in painting that I turned to photography... and seem to be pretty OK at it.

Now I write

Old 12-28-2007, 08:31 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Oil and pastel painter. I do landscapes (urban and natural), portraits, florals, and sports art. I had a lot of natural talent with drawing but I also took lessons from a local artist in his gallery. Too bad I was a younger teen at the time and thought I knew it all and really missed a great chance to learn a lot.

I would say that you should take some lessons and learn about composition and color and really think about what you're doing for the first couple of years. A lot of people will say you should just feel free to be your own artist but in the long run that will actually backfire and stifle your creativity. If you don't try to emulate other artists (even copy them at times) you will fail to advance your technical skills to the level at which you can actually make your inner visions spring to life. I say this out of experience. When I was younger, I thought I should stick with those techniques and themes and creative licenses that seemed natural and I called it "my style". In reality it was an excuse for my inability to bring new techniques and thoughts into my work I wound up in a creative rut and was totally unable to create the art I wanted to create. Try many different media. Try to copy works you love (just don't sell them ). Working with pastels really opened up my oil work and made me rethink everything I was doing. I wasn't necessarily doing anything wrong, but I was doing things in a way that stifled me. I'm sure it will happen again as some of the newer techniques and thought processes I've introduced into my work become rote as well and I'll have to rediscover it all over again. That's really to me what being an artist is all about: learning about and continually remaking yourself. If you become set in your ways, you'll fail, but if you're willing to take risks and change things then you'll continue to grow.

Old 12-28-2007, 10:47 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,189,572 times
I enjoy painting(oils), carving, wood working, and most of all, writing and culinary arts.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:30 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,754,601 times
I make jewelry (not costume jewelry or beading, but "real" jewelry). I design the pieces myself, and do all the work from carving the original wax model to setting the stones after I cast the piece. I also design and sew original clothing when the mood strikes me.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I make jewelry (not costume jewelry or beading, but "real" jewelry). I design the pieces myself, and do all the work from carving the original wax model to setting the stones after I cast the piece. I also design and sew original clothing when the mood strikes me.
This is something I've always wanted to try!!

Old 12-28-2007, 11:44 AM

667 posts, read 2,300,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paper doll View Post
Take classes! No, really, take classes! I do have the talent (until now, I had never said these 5 little words lol), but I am lacking the discipline and the know-how on a lot of things. You will get so much out of a drawing class alone, which is what I suggest you take before you take a painting class because it will free your hand of any preconceived notions of what you think things look like. It will tune your eye and hand together, and it will take your brain out of the equation.

It is because of my lack of discipline in painting that I turned to photography... and seem to be pretty OK at it.

Now I write
Wow paper doll, we sure do have things in common!

If I had to label myself, which I guess I am about to do, I am a natural talent, but with a major lack of discipline!

I paint with oils, draw with pencils (I love Ebony!), sketch with pen & collage (though it's been a bit since my last piece) & I write ALOT.
Being good at art, I believe, has alot to do with practice. I've seen people who couldn't draw a stick-figure pop out paintings after a few years of practice.
I say keep taking classes. I would if I had to $$, not only do you learn, but it's so darn fun & relaxing. I'm still learning things about my talent & it makes me excited!
Now I have the itch to break out my oils, but I'm stuck at this horrid desk!
And I just got new pulled canvas for Christmas!

Last edited by collected_eve; 12-28-2007 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: needed space between "paper" & "doll"

Old 12-28-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collected_eve View Post
Wow paper doll, we sure do have things in common!

If I had to label myself, which I guess I am about to do, I am a natural talent, but with a major lack of discipline!

I paint with oils, draw with pencils (I love Ebony!), sketch with pen & collage (though it's been a bit since my last piece) & I write ALOT.
Being good at art, I believe, has alot to do with practice. I've seen people who couldn't draw a stick-figure pop out paintings after a few years of practice.
I say keep taking classes. I would if I had to $$, not only do you learn, but it's so darn fun & relaxing. I'm still learning things about my talent & it makes me excited!
Now I have the itch to break out my oils, but I'm stuck at this horrid desk!
And I just got new pulled canvas for Christmas!

I have a major creative itch too...but alas for me everything but my pastels are halfway across the country

I also make music and have had an itch to do that lately so that will probably be what I'll do tonight.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:43 PM

98 posts, read 373,893 times
I know, right. Besides that, we're around the same age group, got kids in the same age group, I am dying to get a turtle but our youngest wants a dog (but I'm an even bigger kid than her and insist on getting a turtle). I'm not crazy about dinosaurs, though (I used to be, until I saw real live dinosaur fossils tower over me and nearly peed my pants), but I wanted to name one of my kids an earthy name like Eve or Zoe or Ivy.

Ever since I stopped painting, my acrylic paints and brushes don't belong to me anymore. Our youngest has no idea that she's using the best quality and professional stuff. I might as well have gotten the materials from the dollar store. Every now and I then I discover a damaged brush and sigh in mourning. She thinks I'm a drama queen. I don't have the money to keep supporting this expensive hobby of hers.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doglover29 View Post
For the artists: what kind of art do you like to create? Are you a natural talent or have you taken lessons/classes?

I want to get more into drawing and painting (as a hobby), particularly watercolor and acrylic painting.

I've taken a bunch of art classes but I find that the large class size makes personal attention hard to come by. I was thinking about taking private art lessons.

What do you think is the best way to learn art?
If you want to learn classic art, then of course take courses in your area of interest. Otherwise, as the mood hits and materials are available - sometimes that's just you: write a song and sing, poetry, dance, et cetera-
jump in with both feet (hands) and express yourself in your soon developed style and preferred media. Style is most important. Whatever you do, can I read it or hear it or see or touch it and know it's yours.
Don't limit yourself. Listen to your inner voice and express it. Move me. Make me think, laugh, cry or angry. Make me rest in it, but make it yours.
I babble a lot, sorry and Good Luck being yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts