Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:08 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times

Advertisements

I really think classes can be beneficial. However, I do think at an early stage of your artistic development you should go in with a good idea of what you want to get out of a class and then be pretty choosy about the specific class you decide to take. I'd also recommend trying to get references from former students of the instructor. As your skills progress, then classes can be chosen on whether or not the instructor's work has something you want to add to your reportoire, stylistically or technique wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2008, 09:26 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,200,201 times
Default Do you think being artistic is hereditary?

If you consider yourself artistic, do you have others in your family that are also artistic? My mother's side of the family are all artists. My grandfather was an amazing artist, tailor and musician. My mother was a painter until shaking hands stopped her, my aunt was an art teacher, my uncle was great at drawing and my brother wanted to be an architect but money was better as a lawyer (or so he thought,tee hee).

Old 01-04-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
If you consider yourself artistic, do you have others in your family that are also artistic? My mother's side of the family are all artists. My grandfather was an amazing artist, tailor and musician. My mother was a painter until shaking hands stopped her, my aunt was an art teacher, my uncle was great at drawing and my brother wanted to be an architect but money was better as a lawyer (or so he thought,tee hee).
Many of my mom's family were extremely talented musicians who played multiple instruments. There were one or two visual artists on her side of the family too but none of them ever professionals. My sister is pretty talented but she never opted to do much with it.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:33 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,772 times
Quote:
puffle Do you think being artistic is hereditary? If you consider yourself artistic, do you have others in your family that are also artistic? My mother's side of the family are all artists. My grandfather was an amazing artist, tailor and musician. My mother was a painter until shaking hands stopped her, my aunt was an art teacher, my uncle was great at drawing and my brother wanted to be an architect but money was better as a lawyer (or so he thought,tee hee).
My feeling is a mixture of both – I do think that certain traits are inherited, and why not "creativity?" However, I do not believe that just because a person does not yet artistically create does not mean that it does not exist. I probably have a different view on "artistic" creativity than others because I see the change that can occur from a person who, obviously, is not artistically creating – in my case, with drawing realistically.

If someone has a feeling of "being creative," then they are! I think it is that simple. That creative urge is something we can recognize, however, it's in the expression of it that it sometimes gets lost. It's been my observation that many people evaluate themselves according to whether or not they can easily draw realistically – when, in fact, there may be many creative juices flowing, but they just don't come through in the artwork. Thus, learning particular methods that "natural born artists" have fallen into on their own – "seeing" as an artist sees – the supposed "non-artist" then can also achieve the very same thing. That, from my experience, is the first step. Once a self-proclaimed non-artist garners the tools to realistically draw, the self-confidence naturally goes up, and then the person often goes out and begins doing many kinds of art and media.

If someone naturally has figured out how to draw realistically (I'm using drawing as my example, obviously), then they may not quite understand the frustration of someone who cannot do that. Oftentimes if an artist is asked how he draws realistically, he'll answer, "I just draw what I see." The non-artist will usually answer, "But I see the same thing, so why doesn't my drawing look like yours?" The answer is that the non-artist really does not see the same thing, although they think they are seeing the same thing. Once an individual learns to "see," then there is nothing they can't draw. Drawing realistically is just a bunch of shapes and lines – and each scene or object is just a bunch of shapes and lines in a different order. That's it.

The study of the different parts of the brain is what led to Betty Edwards writing "Drawing On the Right Side of the Brain." She developed certain drawing methods as a result of the studies of brain-injured people. The right brain "sees" things, the left brain "labels and talks about" things. Drawing is simply a matter of learning to use more "seeing" than "thinking." It really is teachable.

Traditional drawing classes do not teach the same methods – things like proportion, perspective and shading are done differently – and are much harder for the self-considered non-artist to do. I have taken traditional art classes and have been both disappointed and surprised because many people really want to draw well, but these classes do not teach you to draw, rather they allow you to draw – a big difference. These kinds of classes often increase the frustration for the individual who does not already "see" in the way an artist sees who can draw realistically without training.

That is why I so strongly advocate this drawing method – right brain drawing. I would suggest that anyone considering a class like this – or any drawing class – to call the teacher and ask what techniques they use in teaching drawing. Sometimes the course description does not specifically state that they are using right brain techniques. I always allow people to call me and question me thoroughly about my methods of teaching. I actually love teaching more than even drawing – because it is such a thrill to see the amazement of students who learn something they never thought that they could learn. To me, it is very, very fulfilling.

And I do agree that some teachers and classes are not good. I have had too many people describe "art" classes in which they are not taught anything – no guidance, no instruction, no clarity – just a bunch of materials and told to draw, paint, or whatever. Unless someone happens to have naturally fallen into the pattern of seeing the way an artist sees, people are very frustrated and demoralized. I hear it over and over and over again. Even people who are referred to me by other media artists are often feeling demoralized when they walk into my class – but they have the persistence and courage to try again – many people just drop it.

I realize that most people on this thread are working artists – whether or not they are making a living with it. For those who are interested but not creating, and feeling frustrated with a level of creativity and no outlet …… there IS hope! I cannot stress that enough. Do not give up!!

I, personally, believe that learning to draw realistically is the foundation for much of art. By "seeing" your subject matter clearly, you can then better work in all media. Some people don't feel the need for these kinds of classes, and that's great. To those who are feeling creatively stifled, have a passion to find their creativity, have always wanted to draw realistically, but felt they never could, I say to go for it, and know that your creativity can shine!

I am including two more Before and After drawings. These are actually by a woman who had a degree in Art. She just wanted to be around other people drawing and took my class – much to her surprise to discover that she improved! I thought it was interesting to see her change. (These are fainter photocopies, so not as good as I would like, but I think you can see the difference.) By the way, she actually framed this particular "after" drawing and had it accepted in a showing! [I also did try to reduce these -- on my computer they are smaller, but for some reason they pop up big here -- I apologize for taking up so much space.]

I will get off my soap box now. Thanks for enduring this! Wisteria

BEFORE
[IMG][/IMG]

AFTER (6 weeks later)
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-07-2008, 09:13 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,114,518 times
If you can't draw you can also do some collage. Here's a piece I did as a post card:

Old 01-08-2008, 08:54 AM

5,835 posts, read 5,200,201 times
I am curious about something. I consider myself to be a very creative individual and always have been. I use to do hair professionally but got out of it years ago and since then I have been at a loss of what type of "career" would suit me. Didn't go to college, just beauty school and have been working since I was 15 at various jobs but not at anything that I was passionate about...more of the necessity to earn a living. Can anyone else relate to this and have any suggestions on how to make a living creatively without a degree?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
I am curious about something. I consider myself to be a very creative individual and always have been. I use to do hair professionally but got out of it years ago and since then I have been at a loss of what type of "career" would suit me. Didn't go to college, just beauty school and have been working since I was 15 at various jobs but not at anything that I was passionate about...more of the necessity to earn a living. Can anyone else relate to this and have any suggestions on how to make a living creatively without a degree?
I'm still trying to figure this out myself. I have a degree but it's got no relation to art and while I'm content enough working in my field, I'd much rather be painting and selling my art. It's a very tough thing to break into and be successful enough to live off of. I'm kinda viewing it as something I'm going to retire to eventually. I'm spending these years honing my craft and trying to create a few collectors and then in 10-15 years I'll finally be able to leave the work a day world and do what I'd prefer doing. Not saying this approach would be right for you at all but that's my plan of attack.

Just wanted to add... some arts are much more marketable than others so if you're thinking about what you'd like to get into you might want to take that into account. Pottery for instance is typically more of a whim purchase for people than an oil painting. I guess some people consider pottery more of a craft but I've seen some pieces that definitely meet the requirements for art.

Last edited by Stormcrow73; 01-08-2008 at 09:10 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 01-08-2008, 10:44 AM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,783,772 times
Quote:
OntheRoad: If you can't draw you can also do some collage. Here's a piece I did as a post card:
Nice card, Ontheroad! I love the silhouettes.

Quote:
Puffle: Can anyone else relate to this and have any suggestions on how to make a living creatively without a degree?

Stormcrow: I'm still trying to figure this out myself. I have a degree but it's got no relation to art and while I'm content enough working in my field, I'd much rather be painting and selling my art. It's a very tough thing to break into and be successful enough to live off of. I'm kinda viewing it as something I'm going to retire to eventually.
I can relate, too. I teach -- obviously -- so that is how I indulge myself. I have another regular job, too, and that is how I support myself. It seems from what I've observed, much of "success" in art is not necessarily how good you are, but rather who you know..... I know it's such a cliche saying, but I do believe in "It's who you know, not what you know."

I do know some people who use their art work in advertising, or marketing -- although that is not "pure" art, but it is a way to help satisfy the creative urge and still survive. There is a guy, Designer, on City-Data who is a working "designer," and does it as a living -- he might have some insight into his end of things. And Tito, of course, is now retired and indulging himself with his art.

I also agree, Stormcrow, that sometimes people put down potters, however, I happen to love pottery (and making it, too), and I do agree that pottery can also be artistic as well as functional. I'm not sure why pottery fell into that category -- maybe because it was truly just functional at one time, and that reputation has not gone away. I happen to love clay and the shapes it forms.

I guess if there was a pat answer to this question, all the artists out there would be working artists and not starving artists!

That would be a good thread -- who IS making a living with art -- and how???

Old 01-12-2008, 05:22 PM

9 posts, read 41,708 times
Post What kind of art?

Well, I create designs out of photographs that i've taken and I also love to take photographs of landscapes and animals. As a writer, I started out being more interested in taking serious shots of subjects related to social issues/news but I decided to stop when I spotted a homeless person combing his hair after I pointed my camera at him. His action make me think about the issue of invading the "privacy" of a homeless person by snapping a photograph. And we all know how bad the press is about stalking celebrities and I didn't want to be assoicated with that kind of photographer.
You can view my designs/photos online at:
Rachelle N's Original Photographs & Designs Online : CafePress.com

Old 01-12-2008, 07:59 PM

462 posts, read 1,876,676 times
I was a sidewalk portrait artist for many years. I, also, taught art in public school and adult classes at local colleges. I've been lucky, I've sold alot of work and won a few shows. But I'm no major artist. I'm what I call a "country hack." A barn painter. Lots of counrty scenes and people.
I like different styles of art. From Andrew Wyeth to Ray Johnson. Kids art to folk art. I like most all of it.
Realistic painting and drawing call be learned. It just takes time and maybe a good teacher. Never be afriad. Always try and enjoy it.
I think Helen Van Wyk has the best teaching videos out there. And you can learn alittle from people like Bob Ross. But if you're kinda serious about art...Helen Van Wyk.
I think private classes are a great idea. Just make sure your teacher paints or creates the kind of work you would like to do. Make sure they're good.
I have a farm and a studio. Sell some vegetables, sell some paintings. I get by. A few more brain cells gone everyday, but life is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts