Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,319 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased this painting and was wondering if anyone could tell me the artists name and the value. I am new to art and am trying to learn as much as I can.
Attached Thumbnails
ID help on Watercolor-imag3338.jpg   ID help on Watercolor-imag3336.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 03:59 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Do you know anything of the painting's history at all? Where did you get it?

As a watercolor, the work looks to me like an amateur hobbyist did it, but I could sure be wrong. Any professional is only a professional because the person made a living doing art, or the artists' work became popular to some degree after death.

But there is nothing in any artwork alone that determines professionalism. Amateur work can be very excellent and professional work can be anything at all! As long as someone is willing to buy a piece of art, everything else is entirely subjective, and has no fixed rules. This is why art is such a controversial investment.

I'm completely unfamiliar with an artist named Storm, but art is a funny thing. This watercolor could be very old, or very new. It could have been painted in the area you found it, or could have come from almost anywhere in the world where those flowers can be grown.
It's pretty badly faded, so if you do ever find any provenance, the fading will affect the price no matter what else you discover. If you never have any plans to sell the painting, look at tracking down the artist as something that's interesting, fun, and full of personal satisfaction. If you don't want to do it yourself, you can always pay someone to do it for you, but the cost may be more than the painting is worth.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:32 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Is there some reason you expect it has some value? I just checked one of the list of artists which is pretty much all-inclusive, and although there is a Mark Storm, who died in 2002, he looks to have been a guy who did more realistic western/cowboy art. I suspect you don't have anything in particular.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:42 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
There is a Mary Ann Storm, but this does not look like something she would above done, typically.
I'm not sure about being faded. Watercolor paintings are sometimes done very transparent. The artist could have purposefully made the painting as light as it is.

The content looks to me like a study piece. In my watercolor class we had to paint something very similar. That is not to say it does not have value.

A watercolor painting by an average artist can run between $80-$200 (or less or more) depending on size and how framed. Frames are quite expensive all on their own.
If I was shopping for art and saw this, unframed, I'd pay $40 for it. Maybe that sound low to fellow artists, or collectors, but that is what I would pay for it, not what I think it's value is.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:26 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,382,750 times
M. Storm.... New to art.........

Water Coloring, is basically what you see in the background of most animations. That is what water coloring is used for the most. The best paintings, could range from photogenic to representative. I myself do water coloring as well., and that does have value, but not when in comparison to something like animation.

The next question is? WHAT IS THE MEDIUM MADE OUT OF? Various artis...........okay let me not go any further because would be a lecture.

That painting is more centimental then valuable. I have tons of things from various artists, some that is worth hundreds of dollars, and others that are worth less then nothing. So it depends, on your taste,

ALL I CAN SAY IS WHEN AND WHERE.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:25 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
In the end, it really doesn't matter who painted the picture or what it's worth. If you bought it because you liked it, that's all that is necessary.

If you ever decide to sell it, put whatever price on it you want. Like any other market, you'll soon discover if your price is too high. As long as you are satisfied with what you get from a sale, whatever happens to the art after you sell it is out of your hands anyway.

Old 10-08-2014, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,057 times
Default M. Storm

I purchased one similar , blue iris subject . I wanted the frame . It was very nicely mounted and framed . This one came thru auction in Florida soooo, I looked at it a little closer . I bought this at Goodwill on Baseline and Power , Mesa AZ today .

Old 04-04-2018, 02:58 AM

3 posts, read 5,662 times
Default M Storm

I know this artist. Her name is Mary Storm (not to be confused with Mark Storm or the other couple of Mary Storms that are active now). She had a studio in Laguna Beach in the 70's called "M. Storm". She and my mom were friends. I have 5 of her artwork in oil, collages, and 1 water color on a piece of paper she sent to my mom one year at Christmas. Wonderful artist, long since retired. Distintive signature "M Storm". The art of hers that I have is a stand of trees with white bark in gold, yellow, greens and teal hues. I love this one so much. I recently framed her 2 collages of florals (beautiful). Another is an early work from the 60's of a brother and sister, immigrants, againts a rail in a modest room. I know this because she told me so when I met her as a little girl and I supposedly was what she based the girl on and my brother. It's a very big canvas. She was talented and especially enjoy her collages. I placed 2 oils to a consignment store for $149 and $99. I regret selling black Buddha with teal in the background because as a recall she did a couple of still !ifes from our home ( we had a black Buddha). The other was a floral still life oil but background was a brown black. I think she experimented with different mediums, or went through different phases in her artwork.

Last edited by Holchan; 04-04-2018 at 03:36 AM..

Old 09-22-2018, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,966 times
Default M Storm

I bought one of hers second hand in the 80s and it has her business card on the back. I can't figure out how to attach a picture of it.

Old 10-31-2018, 04:12 PM

3 posts, read 5,662 times
Default How to attach

Quote:
Originally Posted by antistrophy View Post
I bought one of hers second hand in the 80s and it has her business card on the back. I can't figure out how to attach a picture of it.
I attached a picture of what to do. It is the "Paperclip" icon (above in toolbar). that is how you attach it. You need to take a picture of the art (or business card)? I think her studio has been closed for quite a while.ID help on Watercolor-how-attach.png
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts