Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2014, 02:20 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

I sure hadn't. But PBS ran a documentary on him, which I accidentally caught part of, and he was a notable artist, born in 1889, arrested by the Nazis for his "degenerate art," later ending up in New York. His art reminds me a bit of Kandinsky.

Betrayal: The Life and Art of Rudolf Bauer: Previous Broadcasts | KQED Public Media for Northern CA

Rudolf Bauer (artist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2014, 07:00 AM

671 posts, read 690,104 times
Default Non-objective art and the uproar (and fame) it brought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I sure hadn't. But PBS ran a documentary on him, which I accidentally caught part of, and he was a notable artist, born in 1889, arrested by the Nazis for his "degenerate art," later ending up in New York. His art reminds me a bit of Kandinsky.

Betrayal: The Life and Art of Rudolf Bauer: Previous Broadcasts | KQED Public Media for Northern CA

Rudolf Bauer (artist) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks for this post!
No, I hadn't heard of him either, except as a "name" in the group Der Sturm, along with Kandinsky, Klee, and a couple of others.

I appears this group was among the first to go totally abstract, and present "non-objective" art. Others had described this movement initially as paintings of "the spirit". Indeed, Kandinsky painted to music, and transcribed his emotions and responses to the music onto his canvas. He loved the line, color, and integration of shapes and form, emoting on the canvas, rather than trying to represent an object already present.

Regarding Bauer, it was interesting that the Nazis had even imprisoned him for daring to produce such "deviant art". Can you imagine such innocent and non-representative symbols and line being "deviant"??? If those same Gestapo could have seen what is considered "deviant" today (and, I'm not just speaking about art...) they'd have died from shock!

The art that began to represent other than idealistic / beautiful human form or recount "acceptable" moments in history was such an incredible anti-establishment movement, that society at first wasn't able to accept it, handle it, or understand it.

Art as protest and sarcasm was also part of the movement.

Anyway, in Bauer's work, I can definitely see the influence of Kandinsky, Klee, as well as the concentration on form, weight, mass, and perspective from Cezanne and the Cubist's influence.

It also was fascinating to read about how one powerful financier and art-lover could bring an artist to the forefront back then - via sponsorship and one-man shows to high society. It seemed that any artist who was "inventing" new subject matter was the "flavor of the day", and enjoyed immediate (but sometimes fleeting) success. Lucky (but later, unfortunate) for Bauer that he met Guggenheim.

Bauer was subject to this temporary fame via his sponsor, but as often was the case, became prisoner under Guggenheim's thumb and contractural confines.

The play about his life sounds very intriguing - would love to see it!
BTW, when was this documentary on PBS? I'd like to see it - maybe it will be on again.

thank you for sharing this! I'm very interested in the backstories of the "evolution" of art, and the artist's personality behind the concepts as well as the specific pieces.

I hope you won't mind posting any more such interesting info again! I'll do the same, if anyone is interested. Maybe a thread could be devoted to something like this.

Cheers!

Dandiday

Old 10-10-2014, 05:48 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Thanks for your interesting input, Dandiday. Yes, I think it's nice when people post about "real" art with "real" information, not just "Who's your favorite - ?"

In answer to your question, I saw it over the summer, but it looks as if it was originally broadcast last March.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:31 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,221,245 times
He was also a caricaturist and did political cartoons which helped him financially. I like his line drawings
and here are a few (google to see others which are a bit risque).

http://www.annexgalleries.com/images...dolf-Bauer.jpg

Looks familiar
Rudolf Bauer

http://www.annexgalleries.com/images...dolf-Bauer.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts