Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:06 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

The Mona Lisa is literally priceless.
It's so well known that it is one of France's greatest national treasures; the nation would no more offer it for sale as it would to offer the Eiffel Tower for sale.
It has been stolen at least twice that I know of, and both times was recovered intact. There is no one who would be so stupid as to buy it then or now.

There are a few other artworks that are like that- so valuable they are prized by the entire nation that owns them. I think anyone can name most of them when they think about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2014, 07:09 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
^
'The nation would no more offer it for sale'

Yes! There is hope then where commerce becomes just too 'cheap' in the face of genius.......;-)...

Old 12-25-2014, 09:05 AM

4 posts, read 2,902 times
Warhol was iconic. But whether he was such because of the people he hung around, his quirky personality, the subjects he chose to replicate in his art or actual talent is up to everyone's individual interpretation and what they like as far as art and artists go.

Old 12-26-2014, 06:35 PM

^
Another thing on that I'd say is posterity still has to check in on that. All artists are continually under the microscope through the generations, decades and centuries.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:51 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
His work was an original idea at the time. All the Pop Artists were making things that had not been seen before. I heard a story when I was a museum docent, that Warhol's Brillo boxes were being sent to Canada for an exhibit, but were stopped at Customs, which considered them merchandise subject to a duty. The exhibitor refused to pay, and could not convince them they were art, and so they never made it to Canada until a few years later.
Warhol was a master marketer of his work; he squeezed every last dime out of it. If other artists worked as hard to market their work, they would be more famous (richer) too.
Museum visitors would always say the same thing, when looking at a Brillo box. "I could make that." My answer was always, "But you didn't."

Old 12-30-2014, 06:50 AM

Re: ' he squeezed every last dime out if it'...

If that's true then can we say he made it ok to make art for money? That that was just fine?
Some have problems with the melding of art and commerce and do not like it when it performs as business. But Warhol acted differently there.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: ' he squeezed every last dime out if it'...

If that's true then can we say he made it ok to make art for money? That that was just fine?
Some have problems with the melding of art and commerce and do not like it when it performs as business. But Warhol acted differently there.
Some artists do this better than others. Dale Chihuly is one who does. Nothing goes out of his studio for free. Every rejected piece of glass gets destroyed. Claes Oldenburg stopped making private commissions after BP refused to pay, so left a lot of money on the table.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:52 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,374,430 times
Update:
Billionaires Chasing Warhols Fuel $16 Billion Art Sales - Bloomberg

FTA:
Andy Warhol was the top-selling artist at auction in the past year as increased competition for the most-expensive segment of the market drove global art sales higher.

Collectors bought 1,295 works by the deceased artist totaling $653.2 million, ahead of sales for Pablo Picasso and Francis Bacon, according to preliminary figures by New York-based researcher Artnet.

Warhol has got to be laughing somewhere.
Makes me wish I had even a minor work by him. I'd be rich! Rich, I tell ya.

Old 01-01-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Update:
Billionaires Chasing Warhols Fuel $16 Billion Art Sales - Bloomberg

FTA:
Andy Warhol was the top-selling artist at auction in the past year as increased competition for the most-expensive segment of the market drove global art sales higher.

Collectors bought 1,295 works by the deceased artist totaling $653.2 million, ahead of sales for Pablo Picasso and Francis Bacon, according to preliminary figures by New York-based researcher Artnet.

Warhol has got to be laughing somewhere.
Makes me wish I had even a minor work by him. I'd be rich! Rich, I tell ya.
The closest I came to making a bit of money on art was when DH and I went to The Norman Rockwell museum while he was still living in Stockbridge. We wanted to buy a signed print, but at $200.+ it was not in our newlywed budget.

Old 01-01-2015, 09:16 PM

^
You know I went there to check out the Rockwell museum. Glad I did. I got a much better understanding of him and his art. The curators helped out with some good commentary on his works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts