Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 07:36 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,378,651 times

Advertisements

The graffiti "artist" Banksy's work is rubbish and appeals to pretentious idiots and clueless trend followers with too much money, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 09:40 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The graffiti "artist" Banksy's work is rubbish and appeals to pretentious idiots and clueless trend followers with too much money, in my opinion.
Really? I see a serious message in his work, with the inspiration for the work being from the actions and results of the actions of people with too much money.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/-BJcnzU3mo9c/Uc...png?imgmax=800

Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,383 times
Re: Ryman..

Isn't he an artist that usually works in 'white'????

Old 02-08-2015, 01:31 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,220,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: Ryman..
Isn't he an artist that usually works in 'white'????
Most of them are. One museum that added an extensive contemporary wing had one huge gallery
full of his white paintings (it's the second link I posted). With all the great conceptual and
contemporary artists out there, I have to admit I was really disappointed seeing this huge space
with his white canvases.
He has done a few with color and some variations with white:

Ryman, Robert: Fine Arts, Artists | The Red List

Old 02-09-2015, 07:32 AM

Those paintings intrigued so I came to see this...good vid in the sense of getting an idea of how Ryman thinks. May help in making him 'accessible'? I'll probably do some more investigation into his work. I guess I'm a sucker for these 'abstract' and 'squared' things with color or colors.

SEGMENT: Robert Ryman in "Paradox" | Art21 | PBS

Old 02-09-2015, 08:55 AM

7,377 posts, read 12,657,494 times
I was going to say I've never really liked Pierre Bonnard, French post-impressionist. I thought his colors were too murky. So I did a quick Google image search, and found that my taste has changed--there is actually good strong imagery and color values there, and he likes dogs and cats!

I used to consider Picasso as a painter I could not relate to, except for his earliest works. Then I saw the great traveling exhibit (must have been 25 years ago by now, or more...), and I realized I still disliked much of his work, but I liked more pieces at that exhibit than most other painters had painted in their lifetime!

I have to say that most completely abstract art leaves me cold. I've never really understood the chasing after the completely new experience (the rip in the canvas, the crinkled paper in a frame, and other non-art art) as a sign of great art. Yes, making the spectator pause and rethink his/her perceptions is interesting, but to me art can also be a deep joy of re-experiencing something familiar. I had an art theory teacher whose whole point of her course was to show all the innovations, all the "firsts" through art history, as if the second painter who used a certain medium or perspective wasn't even worth considering...

Old 02-09-2015, 09:44 AM

I see no appeal or have a visual experience (according to Ryman) with the White Square paintings.
A few of his earlier pieces maybe.
The first link "Untitled" 1963 (reminds me of white cheese puffs) and the other link, I can appreciate
the texture and color composition. Also his current white canvas is selling for 20 million.

http://www-tc.pbs.org/art21/files/images/ryman-017.jpg
A Summer of Modern Art | e-flux

Old 02-09-2015, 10:15 AM

20 mil...Wow. Not bad for specializing in 'white' only, eh??. Imagine if he added blue or black or a pepto-bus ol pink......;-)...

And
Re: 'liked more pieces'..(Picasso)

Curious if you like his famous 'Les Demoiselles d'Avignon'.. I noted a citation that said it was 'the most important painting of the 20th century before the century was half over'.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
20 mil...Wow. Not bad for specializing in 'white' only, eh??. Imagine if he added blue or black or a pepto-bus ol pink......;-)...

Curious if you like his famous 'Les Demoiselles d'Avignon'.. I noted a citation that said it was 'the most important painting of the 20th century before the century was half over'.
Well in 1951 Clifford Still created this piece:
http://www.gwennseemel.com/images/bl...-521951-52.jpg

I do enjoy many of Picasso's works including Les Demoiselles d'Avignon. Many of the discussions that
my previous professors and other fellow artists would agree that the last true artist was Picasso.
Although, I would credit Cezanne as the father of modern art (and I think Picasso would agree with
that).

http://s.hswstatic.com/gif/paintings...-cezanne-5.jpg

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 02-09-2015 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: edit to remove empty space.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:57 PM

30,994 posts, read 22,039,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Warhol

Picasso

Pollack
Yep, and in that order! 105 Million paid for a Warhol work..Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts