U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 12:15 PM

1,681 posts, read 1,086,960 times

Advertisements

Tv shows every now and then try their hand at doing an art themed episode. Here are a few examples:

Batman-Pop Goes the Joker-standard batman sillyness,in one scene there is an art contest between pablo pinkus,jackson potluck,leonardo davinski,vincent van gosh and the joker, the joker wins the contest with a blank canvas titled death of a mauve bat.The bat died in 1936, a very bad year for bats.

Kojak-both sides of the law,Kojak competes with a world-famous criminologist to recover five priceless Rembrandt drawings.

room 227- you gotta have art,Mary accidentally leaves a bottle of glass cleaner and towels on a pedestal at an art gallery and a snooty art critic thinks its a work of great art.The guy playing the art critic should win an award for overacting.

Dick van dyke show-the masterpiece, the show actually gave us two art themed shows,this one is called the masterpiece,in it rob and laura accidently buy a clown painting at an art auction,when they try to clean it they discover another painting underneath, rob say that during war time they would paint over valuable painting so if the fell into enemy hands they would think the painting is worthless.The painting underneath looks like grant woods american gothic but an art critic(ernest t bass)says its not a wood but a ood, and ood was no good,The clown painting they destroyed was worth something since it was sinatra.

Gilligans island-goodbye old paint-gilligan walk by a painting one day and finds the artist was living on the island for 10 years(amazing they never ran into each other)the rest of the show is them trying to convince the artist to let them use his transmitter to get rescues, it doesnt matter, the transmitter is so corroded it literally falls apart.

Murphy brown-the deal of the art,one of my favorites,a brilliant sendup of contemporary art.Murphy does a report on an art show and has little fun with it,some viewers dont like and sent her velvet paintings of elvis.She next appears on the ken webster show, a pbs style talk show with two art critics and ted pearce ,owner of sizzle art gallery.The two art critics do a some great art babble speak.Murphy gets off many good lines too-"I havent upset this many trend setters since the dark days of disco when I suggested the bee gees be deported".Theres even a little jab at duchamp's fountain with commode-ity.In the last part, murphy takes her 18 month old sons finger painting and puts into an art show and invites the art critics.If they like it ,it will make a fool out of the them.In the end one of the critics likes it and the other doesnt.The painting sells for $2200 to a buyer who hasnt even seen it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM

19,809 posts, read 13,307,951 times
Movie art changes with the times.

The trend these days is collecting 20th century artists, especially mid-20th century. I never cared much for Andy Warhol's printwork. To me, they looked like sloppy silkscreen jobs done by amateurs who didn't know what they were doing.

But Warhol is sure hot nowadays. He may become the highest-grossing artist in history if the prices of his work keep climbing like they are. Those sloppy silkscreen jobs are one reason why he's so popular. A person can still buy one, or several, if they want to pony up the price for it. There are lots of them available and ready for sale.

While I don't care for them, for sure, they have a lot of individual quality. Each does look different from another that was done in the same run, and so, for those who like Andy's stuff, owning a print is very similar to owning an original piece of artwork.

So I fully expect to see more Warhols hanging on walls in movies in the future. His popularity is assured now, and folks in general now recognize a Warhol when they see it. That recognition is always good in the movie biz.

Old Today, 05:25 PM

807 posts, read 350,528 times
There was the two part season finale early on in “Cheers” where an artist paints a portrait of Diane over Sam’s objections. It causes a rift in their relationship, though it ends with Sam seeing the portrait and being impressed.

There was an episode of “Everybody Loves Raymond” where Marie creates a piece of sculpture that unbeknownst to her bears a striking resemblance to an, ahem, unmentionable part of the female anatomy.

There are several episodes of “Frasier” that are art themed. In one of these, Frasier buys a painting and invites the artist to a celebration of his purchase, only to discover from the painter (in front of everyone at the party) that he’s the victim of art fraud (turns out she didn’t paint it and the art dealer subsequently refuses to make things right). In another episode, Frasier causes all kinds of irritating havoc over a caricature of himself he hates that hangs in a restaurant. And in yet another one, Martin buys his son a tacky painting of a bullfighter; Frasier feigns liking it because he doesn’t want to hurt his father’s feelings.

Old Today, 05:35 PM

807 posts, read 350,528 times
As a further observation, I find it irritating that TV shows invariably depict visual artists (as well as composers and other artistic creative sorts) as being overwrought, obnoxious prima donnas.

In fact, such folks normally can’t get away with being like this. Folks with these types of careers usually have to be socially adept.

My guess is that such stereotypes stem from bad behavior exhibited by a small subset of 19th century artistic types such as Van Gogh, Beethoven, Poe, and Wagner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or