Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:15 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
How can you contradict my advice about this book being appropriate when you have never used it?

No, it is not for someone who has taken formal perspective training. It is for beginners and it deals with teaching the student the shift in awareness that allows a person to draw what they actually see instead of drawing symbolically which is how most untrained people draw. It is for the person who thinks they can't draw or who feels their drawing needs improvement or is childish. And it works.
For one, this book was not around when I took drawing lessons 20 years ago. I may have never used it, but I'm not unfamiliar with what it teaches. I still believe that most drop dead beginners would get more from perspective drawing than negative space techniques. I don't think most drop dead beginners are prepared to abandon objectivity. I think some people still need to be grounded into drawing "a building" or "a tree" even if they might possibly advance more quickly by seeing the purer form and line. It's my opinion formed over the course of a lifetime of drawing and many years of painting. I CAN safely say without a doubt it would NOT have been the correct course for me. It would have actually retarded my personal growth as an artist. Later, I was able to adopt the psychology it teaches but when I was younger it would not have worked for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 11:16 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
For one, this book was not around when I took drawing lessons 20 years ago. I may have never used it, but I'm not unfamiliar with what it teaches. I still believe that most drop dead beginners would get more from perspective drawing than negative space techniques. I don't think most drop dead beginners are prepared to abandon objectivity. I think some people still need to be grounded into drawing "a building" or "a tree" even if they might possibly advance more quickly by seeing the purer form and line. It's my opinion formed over the course of a lifetime of drawing and many years of painting. I CAN safely say without a doubt it would NOT have been the correct course for me. It would have actually retarded my personal growth as an artist. Later, I was able to adopt the psychology it teaches but when I was younger it would not have worked for me.
With all due respect, you ARE unfamiliar with what it teaches. You are insisting that is all about negative space even though I have explained several times what it is actually about and at least one other poster who has read the book has agreed with me. Most drop dead beginners get no usefulness out of formal perspective because they are still stuck drawing symbolically as they learned in kindergarten. This book teaches a beginner to draw what they SEE, not what they KNOW. I can safely say that you have NO IDEA if this book would have helped you as a beginner since you are completely misguided as to what it actually contains.

I also have a lifetime of art experience, including formal instruction in a wide variety of mediums and a degree in studio art with a concentration in oil painting.

My opinion on this book was formed not by hearing about it second hand, but by actually READING it and USING it. It is extremely arrogant for you to dismiss this book based purely on what you imagine it to be. You should at least READ IT and try the exercises before stating that you know it wouldn't help a beginner. Or perhaps you could try listening to those who have read it and used it and are telling you that you are mistaken instead of dismissing it out of hand based only on your own suppositions.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,757,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
With all due respect, you ARE unfamiliar with what it teaches. You are insisting that is all about negative space even though I have explained several times what it is actually about and at least one other poster who has read the book has agreed with me. Most drop dead beginners get no usefulness out of formal perspective because they are still stuck drawing symbolically as they learned in kindergarten. This book teaches a beginner to draw what they SEE, not what they KNOW. I can safely say that you have NO IDEA if this book would have helped you as a beginner since you are completely misguided as to what it actually contains.

I also have a lifetime of art experience, including formal instruction in a wide variety of mediums and a degree in studio art with a concentration in oil painting.

My opinion on this book was formed not by hearing about it second hand, but by actually READING it and USING it. It is extremely arrogant for you to dismiss this book based purely on what you imagine it to be. You should at least READ IT and try the exercises before stating that you know it wouldn't help a beginner. Or perhaps you could try listening to those who have read it and used it and are telling you that you are mistaken instead of dismissing it out of hand based only on your own suppositions.
Good lord cool down. It's a book on drawing not a political statement or a religious idealogy. I have my opinion, you have yours. See how that works?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:40 AM

376 posts, read 1,808,891 times
To respond to the OP:

Congratulations on trying painting! I am a beginning painter too, only about 1-2 years since I began (however, big gap in the middle of about a year where I hardly painted at all -- family matters took precedence -- long story) and I just love it. I am trying watercolors.

I would recommend checking out if your local school system has an adult ed. program -- they have 2 watercolor courses, oil AND acrylic in my county, so we are incredibly lucky. Good place to learn the basics.

Also check to see if there is a local arts association near you -- they often have workshops, but might be pricey.

The library has been invaluable to me -- they have a huge selection and I bet I've checked out everything they own and some more than once.

Don't forget the web! check out WetCanvas site sometime. Be forewarned! You will get lost there for days!

Old 03-30-2009, 12:25 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
Quote:
Good lord cool down. It's a book on drawing not a political statement or a religious idealogy. I have my opinion, you have yours. See how that works?
Oh don't you worry about me, I am perfectly cool.

I am just astounded that you have the audacity to venture and defend an "opinion" about a book that you have never read and never tried.

I have not called you on it to embarrass you, but because I am concerned that your casual dismissal might prevent beginners from picking up this book and using it to learn to draw. Anyone interested in painting should concentrate first on drawing, and this is a fantastic book for teaching that skill. It is a skill that anyone can learn.

Old 04-02-2009, 03:18 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadozer View Post
hello, i've recently discovered that i love to paint, turns out it's a great way to reduce anxiety! anyways i was wondering if anybody had some tips for a beginner. i went to the craft store and bought some watercolors and some acrylic paints to start out with. the problem is i have no idea what i'm doing! i called my local craft supply and they are offering a workshop for painting animals which i'm really excited about. but i would love to hear from anybody experienced who would have some tips/advice for starting out.

Try this...... their should be classes in your area... Bob Ross Incorporated

With in the site is FYI how to paint this.... great for some one just starting out.....

Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 AM

9 posts, read 41,557 times
hi, I'm new to the forum, I like to paint too, I also discovered I like ceramics! I did an art course at college, maybe you could do something similar.

Old 04-03-2009, 01:17 PM

1,149 posts, read 2,513,423 times
I am not sure if you would call this art or craft, but is alot of fun. I do all kinds of paintings but I am hooked on this.
Lin Wellford has many books out..Painting on rocks.You can check them out at your local library or buy them on the net.
Painting houses and Animals on rocks.
Here are a few of mine I have painted on smooth oval river rocks.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/eltracy52/cowandcalf.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-04-2009, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 16,237 times
You can visit the Drawspace.com - Drawing lessons *Drawing lessons*. Warmest Regards, Irmina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadozer View Post
hello, i've recently discovered that i love to paint, turns out it's a great way to reduce anxiety! anyways i was wondering if anybody had some tips for a beginner. i went to the craft store and bought some watercolors and some acrylic paints to start out with. the problem is i have no idea what i'm doing! i called my local craft supply and they are offering a workshop for painting animals which i'm really excited about. but i would love to hear from anybody experienced who would have some tips/advice for starting out.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 PM

315 posts, read 1,088,057 times
Shadozer--From someone who never picked up a brush in my life I can assure you that a few years ago I decided to give it a try. Not once have I regretted this decision. For me, oils is the best medium because it is so forgiving, make a mistake and you can wipe it off or paint over it. There are many beginners books out there but if you can take just a few classes to get the hang of it you won't regret it.
The advice about doing nothing except playing with your brushes and paints is the best advice you got. Learn what the brushes will do for you, which ones are most comfortable for you and mix the paints to see what colours you can make. From two colours there are at least 9 variations. If you have a craft store nearby you could also buy a colour wheel that will help you learn what colours to mix for other colours.
Go for it, you won't ever be sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts