U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:35 PM

252 posts, read 620,769 times

Advertisements

I love to look and wonder and imagine the works of Cindy Sherman and Sandy Skoglund. But, I also love to transcend to another time, looking and wondering about the work of Pieter Breughel.

I agree that the constant soul of humankind comes down to us from Lascaux. While in those caves, I couldn't get over the understanding of perspective on the bellies of the animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2010, 04:37 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,516,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roots'nbulbs View Post
I love to look and wonder and imagine the works of Cindy Sherman and Sandy Skoglund. But, I also love to transcend to another time, looking and wondering about the work of Pieter Breughel.

I agree that the constant soul of humankind comes down to us from Lascaux. While in those caves, I couldn't get over the understanding of perspective on the bellies of the animals.
I know. Not only the painted rendition of the animal flanks but the use of the Natural cave stone to indicate relief is staggering. The best example IMO is to be found in "Fond de Gaume" where you get completely different perspectives depending on where you shine the torch. Absolutely superb and so , so moving to come so close to our Ancestors.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 AM

34,531 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I love contemporary color field painters like Rothko and Helen Frankenthaler. I also enjoy outsider artists and anything that makes me smile, like Claes Oldenburg sculptures.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:15 AM

34,531 posts, read 42,708,506 times
I can like most art styles, but mostly contemporary.

In my opinion, many people make the mistake of thinking that all art is supposed to be beautiful. If they don't find it beautiful, then they don't like it. SOME art is meant to be beautiful, some art is meant to be ugly. Good art is meant to evoke feelings...good and bad. A painting you choose to live with should either evoke positive feelings or spark your curiosity. If you think you just want to hang a picture of a cute puppy on your wall, it's your right to do so, but it ain't art.
My opinion is that an artist shares himself with the viewer, just as a composer does with music. It does not matter what the artist INTENDS to "say", but only what the viewer feels...viewing art is visceral as much as visual.
When looking at an artist work, I can tell if I would like the person, or if I would have anything in common with them. An example of this is Lee Freidlander, who was married to Jackson Pollock. As a woman, I was puzzled as to why I could not connect with her paintings. When I found out that JP was a drunk and that Lee gave up a lot of her career to babysit him, I realized why I could not find any common ground with her.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:35 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,170,554 times
I love modern and contemporary art. Surrealism is great as well. I also love classic sculpture and black and white photography.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:57 AM

9,932 posts, read 11,847,165 times
Rococo. I like the swirly twirly stuff. Some examples. German Rococo

Der Zwinger in Dresden.

Staircase at The Residenz, Würzburg, Bavaria. Ceiling fresco by Tiepolo, Venetian master of monumental fresco decoration. He spent three years decorating The Rezidenz.

Wieskirche, Bavaria.

Romanticism.

I love this next one. It's also in Bavaria. It is considered the embodiment of nineteenth century Romanticism. Mad King Ludwig's castle, Schloss Neuschwanstein.

Breathtaking isn't it? I suddenly wish I was in Bavaria.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:47 PM

252 posts, read 620,769 times
The posted pics of Germany are wonderful. Thank you.

For all Art viewers, I say this, "You take away what you bring to it."

Old 01-23-2010, 02:00 AM

9,932 posts, read 11,847,165 times
More Rococo. Stone house in Guadalajara, Mexico.

German.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:29 AM

794 posts, read 1,575,886 times
I love Hyperrealistic paintings and installation art.

Old 02-15-2010, 02:54 AM

621 posts, read 909,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
Rococo. I like the swirly twirly stuff.
Thank you so much for posting these!

You remind me of my travel to Europe on a tour of castles. You brought a tear and struck a lovely chord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or