U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 05:54 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,523,143 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what sort of tastes our posters have when it comes to Art ?

I must admit being on the whole ( not always) grossly underwhelmed by "Modern Art" and though my tastes are rather eclectic I must admit loving Art Nouveau and Art Deco , Arts and Crafts .

I am also becoming quite an afficionado of Native American Art, especially the North-West Pacific, South-West as well as Inuit Art . I absolutely adore the highly sylised and visually striking style and the sheer variety and utter beauty of works by Artists like Bill Reid takes my breath away.

I am also a huge fan of Dutch/Flemish masters as well as painters like Hieronymous Bosch, and Bruegel. I love Pre-Raphaelite works but on the whole 18th century Western art leaves me utterly cold. Not keen or Baroque on Roccoco either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 07:56 AM

11,449 posts, read 13,917,456 times
Surrealism! Dada! Since discovering these two I was swept away. What I particularly like is that they included writing and music.
Outsider Art appeals to me as well. Many non-academic people that were very originally creative.
Favorite American artist: Edward Kienholz.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:32 AM

204 posts, read 508,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I was wondering what sort of tastes our posters have when it comes to Art ?

I must admit being on the whole ( not always) grossly underwhelmed by "Modern Art" and though my tastes are rather eclectic I must admit loving Art Nouveau and Art Deco , Arts and Crafts .

I am also becoming quite an afficionado of Native American Art, especially the North-West Pacific, South-West as well as Inuit Art . I absolutely adore the highly sylised and visually striking style and the sheer variety and utter beauty of works by Artists like Bill Reid takes my breath away.

I am also a huge fan of Dutch/Flemish masters as well as painters like Hieronymous Bosch, and Bruegel. I love Pre-Raphaelite works but on the whole 18th century Western art leaves me utterly cold. Not keen or Baroque on Roccoco either.
The answer to your question has changed throughout my life. As a kid I preferred and attempted representational art. Frustrated, I dropped the art major in college; I had such a narrow view of art and I just didn't understand much outside the realm of drawing, painting, or sclupture that attempted to be realistic. A different major and a different path took me away from art for about 20 years.

Wanting to get back into painting, I found the perfect instructor who helped me begin to understand the whole of art. At that time, I fell for Impressionism and never looked back. Next stop, art made from around 1900 to the present.

Coming from a small midwestern town, with very little exposure to art, I had to learn to expand my definition of art. Once I reached the big-tent-and-room-for-all understanding, and started to appreciate the emotion, context, voice, etc., in a piece, the true experience of enjoying art began.

Much of modern art I don't like, and that's o.k., but there's so much that I do. The whole process of discovering and experiencing art is exhilarating at this stage in life .

Old 01-06-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Surrealism! Dada! Since discovering these two I was swept away. What I particularly like is that they included writing and music.
Outsider Art appeals to me as well. Many non-academic people that were very originally creative.
Favorite American artist: Edward Kienholz.

I like some surrealism ( not in film though "Le Chien Andalou" and "l' age d'or" are two of my most hated films of all times) , some of it I simply find a little too earnest almost. Like a lot of Art I suppose.

I just returned from Edinburgh and went to their small Dada/Surrealist exhibition in the Dean Gallery of Modern Art , some of it I really loved , some simply irritated me.

There is a certain pretension which comes with surrealism I think sometimes but to me as long as it provokes an emotion , albeit negative then Art is successful to a certain extent . Surrealism often pretends not to take itself too seriously and yet somehow does.

We also saw the BP yearly portrait exhibition there, all in vastly different styles, some absolutely stunning others almost so bad you wanted to laugh.

There was painting by an Israeli artist called David Nepo ( National Portrait Gallery - Exhibitor - the picture just does not do it justice at all) which was stunning in its grasp of light and textures, the light almost "Rembrandt-esque" and I found it mesmerising.

Most modern-modern Art simply leaves me utterly cold and that's not good.

I go to Art Galleries and Museums pretty much every week-end and it never ceases to amaze me how talented and original some people are who will never find "success" commercially when Artists which to me have all the talent of a soggy cheese-straw succeed wildly.

The Art world is often fickle and often superficial, a lot of it more about style than substance ( I know that sounds silly but I'm sure you get my meaning)and I often despair of some of the utter crap produced in the name of Art.

I was at the Tate Modern in London recently and could not believe what passed as talent.

I suppose Art is always going to be terribly subjective but someone like Tracey Emin to me is simply a pretentious cow with no talent and a serious attitude problem.

I have always had a problem with Art I feel I could produce myself easily. I appreciate originality obviously as it is Art after all but also skill, talent, and craftsmanship something which is to me often lacking in much art.

For example I can appreciate the amount of skill it takes to make a Baroque ceiling though I absolutely loathe that style but "unmade bed" is just pretentious and full of wind and I can't fathom the appeal.

I guess I am a terrible square .

Old 01-06-2010, 09:33 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,164,204 times
Anything goes with me, I do like everything from Cro-Magnon work to the Impressionists to some modern art, including sculpture.

However, Moose, my tastes do echo yours, esp Arts and Crafts.
We once lived in a 1916 bungalow and now we live in an eyebrow house that is supposed to resemble Hemingway's Key West abode.

I like representational, but truly enjoy stylized images.
I love William Morris and Charles Rennie Mackintosh design.

I am in the final pages of a biography of John Singer Sargent. What an interesting guy and a fascinating, polarized period of time, not unlike the present. Sargent has has critics but I've always been drawn to his fluid work, his seaside scenes as well as his portraits of the gilded age.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe View Post
The answer to your question has changed throughout my life. As a kid I preferred and attempted representational art. Frustrated, I dropped the art major in college; I had such a narrow view of art and I just didn't understand much outside the realm of drawing, painting, or sclupture that attempted to be realistic. A different major and a different path took me away from art for about 20 years.

Wanting to get back into painting, I found the perfect instructor who helped me begin to understand the whole of art. At that time, I fell for Impressionism and never looked back. Next stop, art made from around 1900 to the present.

Coming from a small midwestern town, with very little exposure to art, I had to learn to expand my definition of art. Once I reached the big-tent-and-room-for-all understanding, and started to appreciate the emotion, context, voice, etc., in a piece, the true experience of enjoying art began.

Much of modern art I don't like, and that's o.k., but there's so much that I do. The whole process of discovering and experiencing art is exhilarating at this stage in life .

I find it terribly sad that we do not encourage Children not only to experience and truly enjoy Art but also to enjoy producing it.

I have never understood people who find Art Galleries and Museums boring. I suppose it is what you bring to it and I agree with you that it is exhilarating especially when you discover something new and something which makes you think and feel . A lot of our appreciation is instinctive but parental and shcools could really play a much bigger role in our education.

We live in a society where sport is considered more worthy than culture and it really saddens me.

As an Archaeologist/Anthropologist I have always maintained that the human journey since the dawn of time has been our primordial need and desire to express the "self" and almost everything we do is a form of narrative. Art of course crystalises this so well and tells us so much about who we are , where we come from and possibly even where we are all going. It is the crux of our very humanity at its most simple and yet complex .

I for example am a huge fan of Prehistoric Art, as found in Painted and engraved caves in South-West France and Spain ( and all petroglyphic sites around the world) because not only it is terribly beautiful, and clever it is also the basic essense of our humanity distilled into a very visual reminder of our roots. It moves me. I could spend hours in those caves with only a little torch. It gives me a form of nourishment and understanding of where we come from which can only be gained by being there. Art as beauty, but also Art as meaning, ritual, giving humanity a sense of belonging and a sense of place.

I have been told by some idiots on the Religion forum that Prehistoric man had no "soul". Anyone who has been to Lascaux on Alta-Mira could see the utter stupidity of those assertions. Not only did those people have "Souls" but they were just like you and I , trying to expressthemselves through style, narrating their journey and transmitting this to us from over 15,000 years of human history. They are the reflection in the mirror of our own modern selves.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Anything goes with me, I do like everything from Cro-Magnon work to the Impressionists to some modern art, including sculpture.

However, Moose, my tastes do echo yours, esp Arts and Crafts.
We once lived in a 1916 bungalow and now we live in an eyebrow house that is supposed to resemble Hemingway's Key West abode.

I like representational, but truly enjoy stylized images.
I love William Morris and Charles Rennie Mackintosh design.

I am in the final pages of a biography of John Singer Sargent. What an interesting guy and a fascinating, polarized period of time, not unlike the present. Sargent has has critics but I've always been drawn to his fluid work, his seaside scenes as well as his portraits of the gilded age.
I adore Arts and Crafts because it allies Form and Function and who can say no to beauty and usefullness all in one neat package. William Morris said : " Do not have in your house anything which you do not know to be useful or beleive to be Beautiful" and it sums up my feeling about life exactly.

We did a home exchange to Berkeley a couple of years back and stayed in this beautiful Arts and Crafts Bungalow. Everything was glorious from the shape of the Windows to the Mouldings, door handles etc... It had tons of character and yet somehow also felt strangely up to date, not dated at all.

The owners had very modern furniture and art in it and it fitted perfectly.

I love Sargent actually, I find his style fluid and flowing. There is always a sense of freshness and movement about it. His use of light is always pleasing. He evokes certain aspects of life perfectly.

I always shock people though when I say how much I dislike Monet or Turner though, both to me paint pictures which look as though they had cataracts. Oddly enough I was proven right about Monet who was found recently to have had cataract ( they think ) and basically must have painted a lot of Giverny as if through an opaque veil...

I love Manet ,Renoir and people lie Seurat though who are more expressive to me.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:21 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,544,779 times
My education and experience from childhood to now (64 yo) have taken me through many stages of interest and appreciation in the visual arts, but representational art, very well drawn, and with compelling color, if a color medium is used, has become my all time favorite. This, of course, encompases a number of styles.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 PM

5,640 posts, read 16,932,091 times
Impressionism, post impressionists, fauvism, flemish paintings, esp the still lifes. Not too much modern art, although I am a "I know what I like when I see it" kind of person... and I do appreciate talent and effort that goes into some artwork, even though I do not much care for it, I would not criticize it.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:30 PM

10,236 posts, read 13,526,200 times
I am partial to:

Renaissance paintings.
Frescas, as in churches.
Art Deco in anything (paintings, jewelry, pottery, etc.)
Black and white pencil/charcoal work, as well as photography.
A little surrealism but with limits.
Love trompe l'oeil!!!
Some Native Indian art.

Don't care for abstract, although I do like some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or