U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:02 PM

1,480 posts, read 2,172,247 times

Advertisements

What do you all think of Damien Hirst? Just curious on your impressions, thoughts, etc. He is very controversial, but I have an appreciation for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 10:54 AM

3,007 posts, read 4,876,226 times
I hate when I post something then I time out...

Anyway, nah, I don't care for him. "Art as shock value" loses credibility with me.

I've known people with the same general background (life story) as Hirst, and lets just say they weren't nearly as successful. It must be persistence.

Also I like to see progression and growth from artists, and I see none from him, just a bigger bankroll.

Meh. I'm not bitter.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 AM

34,630 posts, read 42,779,610 times
Interesting, but someone good at shock value is not necessarily a talented artist. Like, you'd look at a car wreck, but you wouldn't want it in your house. Not my cup of tea.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:19 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,529,763 times
Grossly over-rated. And a lot of his "art" is starting to decay so imagine having invested in one of his pieces. Something is not necessarily interesting because it "shocks". Being "shocking" can to me anyway ultimately be even more boring than the squarest of squares... And I see little talent in it , nor esthetic value so I don't see its value at all. Hirst is marginally better than Tracey Emin. Not by much though.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:46 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,585,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
What do you all think of Damien Hirst? Just curious on your impressions, thoughts, etc. He is very controversial, but I have an appreciation for him.
Of course his work is interesting to look at, great museum pieces, but I wouldn't want to see it on a regular basis. I always thought posters of the pregnant woman would be great in doctor's office.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:33 AM

4,033 posts, read 8,257,007 times
Yeah, I can't stand him; I think that he makes a mockery of art and the people who enjoy it. I also don't like what he does to animals.

If an artist is going to criticize society or make a statement about society via art, then I think that he/she should find a way that doesn't disgust and alienate people.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:19 AM

5,054 posts, read 5,527,163 times
Hirst, Koons and Prince represent the worst of overvalued modern art.

Damien Hirst - For the Love of God

Costing 14 million to produce. Asking price was 50 million. Hirst actually ended up buying the artwork himself (as part of a consortium). Art bubble?

Old 07-14-2010, 07:37 AM

21 posts, read 51,417 times
Thank you all for hating Damien Hurst! I'm glad I'm not the only one... it can be overwhelming for the public taste when one of his pieces sells for a few million bucks, even though it is completely trash.

My thoughts on Hirst? Definitely a character with wits, I'll give him that. But he is NOT a sincere artist. Critics can argue with a game of words... "But what IS an artist? What do you mean NOT sincere? His attitude is as sincere as any artist when he placed that rotten head of a calf along with a ****load of maggots..." oh please gimme a break... Too many people suddenly became 'artists' all thanks to Marcel f*king Duchamp.

Even now, the art world still reeks of Duchamp's urinal.

Clever marketing, PR, dishonest critics, backed by a very rich and powerful Satcchi, a load of rich folks without taste willing to spend money and a bit of a sly wit on top can make your everyday toilet scrubber into a work of 'art'. No wonder people today don't know what to think when they walk into a museum.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
Yeah, I can't stand him; I think that he makes a mockery of art and the people who enjoy it. I also don't like what he does to animals.

If an artist is going to criticize society or make a statement about society via art, then I think that he/she should find a way that doesn't disgust and alienate people.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 AM

Pardon my cynicism... I need to make one more post. Obviously I'm someone who feels very strongly about this.

The more people hate someone like Hirst, the more publicity hes gonna get, and that's what the whole shock value thing is all about.

It is not art, it is business. (business is art but you guys know what I mean)

Shock value itself is a form of business. It generates public anger or vice versa, make people talk about it. The whole system of marketing shock value increase the so called artist's reputation (good or bad) but now they are KNOWN. Charles Satcchi was clever when he discovered Hirst, and he utilized Hirst's mockery and methodologies as part of his marketing campaign. The whole museum/gallery setting (venerable high ceilings, lighting, shiny floors, sellers and interpreters in Gucci suits trying to look very smart) plus a ****eload of critics who are all good with words will add a degree of integrity to anything, yes even a urinal. The shark in a tank is quite genius given today's art ideals and economy, but the whole art system (including art education, F* YOU Pratt!!!) today reeks of manipulative politics.

Then again, perhaps I'm being too selfish. Everybody's got the right to make what they please.

I'm suddenly aware that the very notion of me getting upset is giving this man his share of publicity, and that is exactly what Satcchi had intended. Create Controversy.

Yea, I guess the shark is pretty cool.

Last edited by minilogue; 07-14-2010 at 08:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts