U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:38 PM

9,932 posts, read 11,847,165 times

Advertisements

Unusual Art. Post anything you like; painting, sculpture, architecture.

Has anyone seen hand paintings? I just saw this recently.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM

2,870 posts, read 4,457,132 times
I'll post Australian Buff Diss' masking tape art. I really despise the vandalism of graffiti. Public art/private property/public-private...bah. I've lived where my home was repeatedly tagged. It's not cool or fun and it is a presumption of ownership to deface someone else's space. While urban expression is meant to be ephemeral it can be thoughtful about the real consequences to real neighbors, not just serve the vanity of the taggers.

Buff Diss' guerilla masking tape is made to disintegrate. That makes its transitory nature part of its message. And it's a hellava lot more thoughtful and interesting (and cool looking) too.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/...2804a703_o.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C_45kKY28c

Fresh Pics: Masking Tape Street Art by Buff Diss

Old 01-18-2010, 06:16 AM

13,036 posts, read 21,513,339 times
Ray's Portfolio of Works, included are selections from his book as well as more recent pieces - From the site of Ray Materson, Embroidery Arist, Speaker, and Author...

I saw an exhibition of Ray Materson's miniature embroideries , many of them he did in prison using what he had at hand and I was blown away by how good they were. They are tiny and sometimes one needs a magnifying glass to really look at them. A lot of them are autobiographical and deal with issues like drugs , prison etc... I was so impressed by that very talented Artist.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I'll post Australian Buff Diss' masking tape art. I really despise the vandalism of graffiti. Public art/private property/public-private...bah. I've lived where my home was repeatedly tagged. It's not cool or fun and it is a presumption of ownership to deface someone else's space. While urban expression is meant to be ephemeral it can be thoughtful about the real consequences to real neighbors, not just serve the vanity of the taggers.

Buff Diss' guerilla masking tape is made to disintegrate. That makes its transitory nature part of its message. And it's a hellava lot more thoughtful and interesting (and cool looking) too.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/...2804a703_o.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C_45kKY28c

Fresh Pics: Masking Tape Street Art by Buff Diss

Bunjee-I agree with you wholeheartedly. Where I live tags are on people's walls(private property), every street sign, electrical boxes and poles, the cacti, trees, even on the rocks in the mountains(on the mountain faces). Didn't realize anyone had turf up there. It's ugly! There is nothing artsy about it! It is so stupid!!! And disrespectful!

Buff Diss is a thoughtful genius.

Mooseketeer-I really liked the miniature embroideries. The Mickey Mantle baseball card was cool!

Last edited by saucywench; 01-18-2010 at 01:20 PM..

Old 01-19-2010, 02:01 AM

9,761 posts, read 2,963,185 times
Hello again Ms Saucywench!

I'm kinda torn about graffiti art.. I like Jean Basquiat's work, maybe you will, too.

Here is the wiki link: Jean-Michel Basquiat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can't find my fav piece now but I will keep looking.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:40 PM

43,858 posts, read 43,559,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaGrrrl View Post
Hello again Ms Saucywench!

I'm kinda torn about graffiti art.. I like Jean Basquiat's work, maybe you will, too.

Here is the wiki link: Jean-Michel Basquiat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Can't find my fav piece now but I will keep looking.
His work is innovative....but seems a bit harsh (for a lack of a better word) for something I would want to hang in my living room. Thanks for the link. It was really interesting.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:10 PM

21,461 posts, read 22,692,102 times
I saw a really interesting exhibit by Ron Mueck last year at the Warhol Museum--he does hyperrealistic casts of people either on a huge or tiny scale. Ron Mueck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And just recently the St. Petersburg Museum of Fine Arts had an exhibition from Lesley Dill, who uses weaves words and forms together to make really compelling pieces: Hunter Museum of American Art | I Heard A Voice-The Art of Lesley Dill (http://www.huntermuseum.org/exhibition/7/i-heard-a-voicethe-art-of-lesley-dill/ - broken link)

Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 PM

Wow! The Mueck was really interesting(and unusual), especially the head(Mask II). That was really cool!

The Leslie Dill stuff was nice.

This is strange! Oppenheim-1936.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:00 PM

I was looking for something else and I found this. Try it out! It took me a while to actually see it (do it), but I was finally able to.

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are using your right brain. If you see it the other way, you are using left brain. Some people do see both ways, but most people see it only one way.

http://www.ablegamers.com/blog_images/681//nonamew.gif (broken link)

Old 01-24-2010, 02:03 PM

13,036 posts, read 21,513,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
I was looking for something else and I found this. Try it out! It took me a while to actually see it (do it), but I was finally able to.

If you see this lady turning in clockwise you are using your right brain. If you see it the other way, you are using left brain. Some people do see both ways, but most people see it only one way.
Absolutely fascinating. First I could only see it going anti-clockwise, then I manage to "make" it go clock-wise and now I after doing it for about q0 minutes I can do it both ways, sort of at will ( easier if I start to move my index finger whicever way I want it to go) . Thanks for posting this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts