Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 08:36 AM

35 posts, read 64,446 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I noticed my betta acting a little different... He rests at the bottom of his bowl all day which he doesn't usually do, and when he does want to go to the surface for air/food, his movements seem frantic and erratic. Like he has to try extra hard to get to the surface.

I did a bit of research and learned that this could be due to a problem with his swim bladder (regulates their bouyancy) or even could be constipation.

Anyone ever experience this with a betta? How did you treat yours, and did its health/behavior improve?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 08:53 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times
Default Hmmm...

A few flakes of Ex-Lax?

In all my years in the hobby, this is the first I've ever heard of a fish being constipated.

It would not be a surprise to me to think maybe a parasite; when kept in a small bowl, they are basically living in their excrement and urine, until the water is changed, even if the water is clear. Check with a reputable LFS, not your Petco's, Wal-Marts, or Petsmart stores.

Old 12-22-2010, 12:04 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,443 times
Usually swim bladder imbalances will see the fish swimming on the side, but not otherwise labored. Had a severum that did that for over a year until it finally got corrected. If there is labored breathing, the fish is probably sick and might be on its way out. I will say that goldfish are prone to them because they need a lot of fiber, and often the flake food does not have enough, or if they are given standard tropical fish food, it doesn't either. Switching to the pellets helps with this. Not sure about what ot do for the betta if it is indeed a swim bladder, but like I said, it might just be that his time is up, unfortunately.

Old 12-24-2010, 07:01 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
It could be a number of things, bettas in a bowl are more prone to disease. The water is dirtier, and there is less air and filtration. What are you feeding him? That's also important, bettas are "meat eaters" and need more of a meat-based diet than standard fish flakes will provide. A lot of bettas won't eat pellets, but most love freeze-dried bloodworms, earthworm flakes, brine shrimp flakes etc. Try to provide a more varied diet.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:48 PM

35 posts, read 64,446 times
UPDATE!!

My Betta (Lester), got better just a few days later! Thanks for all of your help and suggestions!

Sorry I did not give an update sooner, life itself has been keeping me from CD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish