Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:43 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,789,371 times

Advertisements

im sat watching my "just a fish" play chase with my almost 8 week old kitten...
they may be "only fish" but i have no doubt they think and feel and have personalities, no reason they shoudl have to die for being "just fish"

so i personally, as a fishy enthusiast, want to thank you for taking the time to check and want to do something to help! most people would have just ignored the situation based on the fact there 'just fish"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2011, 06:14 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,215,137 times
You're welcome, Foxy!

Our local SPCA claims its volunteers are swamped right now with abandoned cats and dogs due to the horrible economy, so I told them not to worry about it and that I would try the minnow traps suggested.

Oh, yeah, "just fish" and their aquarium mates are surprising! A friend said her aquarium snail learned that, when she tapped on the glass, food pellets would appear in the water and to hustle up the side of the aquarium to try to snare one before it fell down to the gravel.

And, as an aside, I always loved that story I read several years ago about a bee researcher who wanted to track how far the bees would forage. So he moved their hive 20 feet every day. By the fourth day, the bees en masse were WAITING for him at the 20-foot mark where he was going to move it next. Very cool!

Old 06-09-2011, 05:29 PM

1,266 posts, read 3,215,137 times
I wanted to let those of you who have followed my little story know about the happy ending.

The abandoned fish refused to cooperate with the minnow trap, so my poor hubby got down on his hands and knees and bailed out the whole stagnant koi pond with a bucket! As the water level fell to below where the fish could hide in the rocks, he was able to net them one by one and put them in the bucket: 6 small brown ones and one four-inch-long orange "goldfish." Raccoons and/or herons either got the other small ones or they died and became the only food in the pond for the survivors.

He drove them to a local pond owner who offered sanctuary, and my hubby said it was really heartening to ease them into the water and then watch them regroup in the reeds by the water's edge. After a bit of hesitation, they followed their orange leader out into the deeper water and into their new life.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:01 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,845,295 times
What a nice, happy ending! I would have done the same, poor fish. That was a small pond too, I doubt they were getting enough to eat. I feed my goldies every day, and they know when it's feeding time, they wait for me.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,122,228 times
This is a great story.
I love how you cared and did something about it!

Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,789,371 times
what a lovely result! takes a special person to do what you and your hubby did for "just fish"

Old 06-10-2011, 07:50 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,806,665 times
Yay, I am glad you got to save em.

Glad you listened to the Foxy lady
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish