Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2011, 03:50 PM

438 posts, read 943,697 times

Advertisements

I'm acquiring 2 black moors that my brother used to have. I'm pretty sure they are immortal. If he hasn't managed to kill them, nobody can. I think he had them at least a year. They are maybe 2 in. long are in a 10 gallon tank at the moment. How big are these things gonna get? What size tank do they need? How big do they need to get before I have to upgrade to a different tank size?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2011, 04:55 PM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
Oh! Those are really beautiful!!
I think that like most gold fishes they "grow with the tank", but get not longer than 10 inches. Ten gallon tank is good for a start but they will thrive in a 30 gallon or larger.
Their lifespan is impressive - 6 to 25 years!!
They are almost blind, so be careful and do not decorate your tank with anything sharp. Get silky plants, not plastic.
They are messy, so make sure you clean the tank often and get a good filtration system and sufficient oxygen supply. Like to swim in cold water, so if you are going to get light, get a cold light. If you want them to stay black, you need to monitor the water temperature and keep it cold.
Food: no flakes - they float on the top and just cloud your tank. Your fish likes food that will drop to the bottom of the tank. Black Moor goldfish, like many other fish breeds, do have a tendency to overeat. As a general rule, it’s best not to over feed, since they may eat themselves to the point of death. They eat meat ( love frozen shrimps and bloodworms) and veggies. You can give them some zucchini, peas and spinach to munch on.
Goldfish likes to dig, so secure your plants and ornaments with well rounded river rocks

Black Moor Goldfish

Have fun with your fish!!!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,769,932 times
for all godlfish theres a falsity going around about how they grow to the size of the tank...this is not true, they will grow to thier pre determined genetic size, unfortunatly however small tanks = fish not living as long as it should = not growing as big as they can.

general rule of thumb for moors is that they are a DEEP bodied goldfish, they prefer a taller tank over a long one
general rule of thumb for ALL goldfish is 20 gallons for the first goldfish and 10 gals per additional fish...
so 2 black moors would live VERY happily in a 29 TALL tank (often refered to as a 30gallon) its an easy tank size to find and not typically very expensive.
however aboslute MINIMUM is 10 gals per fish with goldfish...so at the very least youll need a 20 gal asap.

goldfish are very "dirty" fish and need alot of space and good filtration ot keep them happy so the soner you can upgrade that tank the better.

black moors because of the bubble eyes tend to have bad eyesight so keep all decorations smooth sided (no sharp edges) as they tend to bump into things...
because of this they do better with slow sinking and floating foods also, and a feeding ring
Fish Feeding Gadgets - Top Picks in Fish Feeding Gadgets
realy helps. belive it or not goldfish are quite smart especially when it comes to food.

they are omnivourous a good slow sinking small pellet and added protein (blood worm for example) and fresh (par boiled zucini, fresh peas even romaine lettuce or kale) will be well apreciated...

goldfish can live a suprisingly long time...not quite as ong as thier koi cousins but the oldest known goldfish on record lived to 43 years old...no joke!
unfortunatly due to bad breeeding practices and misinformation about care (tiny tanks/bowls, not enough filtration, bad feeding practices ect) the average lifespan of goldfish is under 2 yrs.

deep bodied goldfish like the moor is considered large at 6 inches and "full grown" around 8" from tip to tail...
BUT they are also ROUND so hell be almost as "deep" as he is long making for a large fish...

the long bodied goldfish (like comets) get longer (up to 18") but are shaped like torpedos they need a longer tank for this reason.

they are very cute little fish who can have quite the personalities

Old 07-21-2011, 11:00 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,829,752 times
That is so true Foxy, fish do not "grow with their tank". Their growth will be stunted in too small a space, and they will either die or become malformed.

As a child I had a black moor for years, I named him "Seymour". See-more, get it?

Good luck with your new fish, with the proper care they will thrive for years and years.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:47 AM

moors make me giggle...i realy want a pond full of ryunkin one day though, i think they are just stunning full grown.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:56 AM

61,020 posts, read 85,838,736 times
I think, I just worded it wrong. What I wanted to say is that a big tank or pond would promote your fish to grow to their full size. However the size, like foxywench said: is pre determined genetic. Unfortunatly however small tanks = fish not living as long as it should = not growing as big as they can.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:33 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,829,752 times
What can actually happen is the spine of the fish can become curved as the fish begins to outgrow his environment, plus the organs continue to develop, too. So the fish, if it lives, can be grossly deformed and it's lifespan considerably reduced.

Old 07-23-2011, 03:45 PM

we actually have a fish that has suffered that fate attw3. hes actually doing very well now but his spine is perminetntly curved.

hes a big white koi that was being kept in a 10 gallon tank, when we got him its as if his spine is bent up in the middle, his tail almost pointed virtcally from the rest of his body he was about 8" if you stretched him out, but because of his shape was so grosley deformed he was only about 5 inches direct form tip to tail!

we rougth him home, and after quarentein put him in our pond, that was 2 years ago, his deformity has straightend somewhat, but he still has a very visible u cuver in the middle of his back...thankfully i think we got him soon enough (and they were running a huge filter on the tank rated for 55 galls (10 gal tank) whihc im pretty sure was the only reason he didnt die in the tan he had been in. hes not almost 2ft long and is doing very well...we have to hand feed him though cause hse not as fast as the others in the pond.

i dont know how long he'll live, but im hoping we got him in time that hell live at least close to a natural lifespan.

Old 08-03-2015, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 11,244 times
Can anyone tell me what other types of fish can be put with blackmoor fish

Old 08-04-2015, 06:27 PM

279 posts, read 354,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalla90 View Post
Can anyone tell me what other types of fish can be put with blackmoor fish
Other types of gold fish. Fantails, Ryukin, Ranchu's etc...

I think others have already given some great info, but again I'll reiterate, get as large of tank as you can afford to give them lot's of room to grow. And as they are dirty, buy a good filter, and be prepared to do water changes on a regular basis.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish