U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 04:35 PM

8,410 posts, read 10,125,658 times

Advertisements

So I have been considering cichlids and it is hard to decide between South American and African cichlids. Is it possible to mix the two types? Do angelfish get along with other cichlids or are they too timid? Also, what is the minimum recommended tank size for cichlids of either geographical location?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 04:56 PM

6,591 posts, read 22,295,485 times
angelfish require different water parameters than most other south american and africans would destroy an angel.

angels and rams tend to do ok together
but otherwise i wouldnt mix angels an other cichlids.

the size difference between types would be your biggest issue if mixing.
i personally wouldnt mix africans and south/central americans.

is there a few specific types of cichlid your particularly interested in?

Old 01-06-2012, 05:21 PM

8,410 posts, read 10,125,658 times
As far as South American cichlids I really like the Texas cichlid and green severums as far as South Americans go. Some of the Africans I like are the zebras and electric cichlids. I am familiar with the general rule of stocking fish and have had a 65 gallon running for almost five years now.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:44 PM

196 posts, read 633,796 times
You are interested in some cichlids that are fairly diverse in their behavior. The american species are both substrate spawners and will establish and defend spawning sites and to a lesser extent longer lasting territories. The african rift lake cichlids in nature don't have territories, but within the confines of an aquarium Pseudotrophus males behave like they do. Sevrums are definately the mellower of the two american species, but they are happier in softer water than the Texas. The zebras (mubna) and the electric blues (haplochromis) behave differently, but are happy with the same water chemistry.

Tank size - bigger is better. You can stack the africans with appropriate rockwork (deeper tank), but in my experience floor space (length) is a big factor with most of the central and south american species.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:46 AM

24,682 posts, read 48,301,538 times
If you're talking about East African Rift valley cichlids than no, the two groups require very different water conditions. South American fish tend to prefer more acidic water with a lower pH while the Rift valley lakes have hard, alkaline water with a pH of about 8.

Central/North American cichlids like the Texas cichlid are a different kettle of fish (pardon the pun). Many tend to be large (at least a foot in length) and aggressive, probably comparable to a butterkoferi. I owned a tank full of large, aggressive Central American cichlids years ago. Had a male Jaguar Cichlid (Amphilophus/Cichlasoma managuensis) which dominated the tank. Also had a three-spot or Trimac Cichlid.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 7,938 times
hello
i have a 200 gallon fish tank and want to add more fish to it. i have blood parrets, tin foiled barbs, silver dollars, texas cichlid, green terror, frantosies, plecos and want to add some more colorful fish. what can i add to my tank. the fish i have is about 4-6 inches in length

Old 12-15-2014, 04:44 PM

3,073 posts, read 4,322,148 times
I'd recommend to the op to do a little more research and then focus on either a central american tank, an african cichlid tank, or an angelfish tank. Wyoming is around the corner from that SLC guy that breeds mbuna and other rift valley cichlids in water very similar to the Rift: hard, with some mineral salt. Rift fanciers if serious like to grow out spawns, and often specialize in one of the Rift Lakes: Tanganyika, Victoria, or Malawi, as the fish are very different.

Angels are south American: i.e. neutral to soft. Either all angels all the time or a planted tank of mixed amazon type.
Angels can be really nasty, and belie their look.

Central are territorial, and can get real serious about killing each other. Particularly the "Frankenfish" like Parrots and terrors, synspilas, that may be available in your area, but doubt you'll see the quality we have up here, with all the Asian interest.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 6,818 times
I have a 300 gal tank with all types of African Cichlids, Mbunas, Peacocks, Kribensis, Red/Blue Jewels Trophus/Moories. and South American Cichlids such as: Convicts, Rainbows, Electric Blue Acaras, Jack Dempsy(s) and they all get along just fine. They do get into a quarrel once in awhile, but nothing serious. The trick in mixing them is to have a big tank and have alot of them so noone fish gets picked on all the time.

When it comes to PH levels, now a days most fish are raised within the same water parameters and PH is not much of an issue.

Last edited by chatito2; 05-11-2015 at 11:01 PM.. Reason: Mispelling

Old 06-29-2015, 08:18 AM

3,682 posts, read 2,099,699 times
Cichlids do fine in a 55 gallon tank unless they get over 4"...or so.

I remember when 15 gallons was considered a big tank. Fives and tens were the norm.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:34 AM

1 posts, read 4,839 times
I have a 55 gal. with S.American, S.African cichlids and a peacock eel. I had an aggression problem at first till I decided to try adding more fish. I have 17 fish all together in that tank so far and a 30 gal tank with 10 juvenile cichlids that I find that I can't stop myself from buying they are all thriving and happy. I also have a tiger Oscar in a 36 gal by himself and he loves it. . I am still a beginner with like 8 months since I started my first tank and would lose a fish every two weeks but then started doing alot of research. It is rare for me to lose a fish. After a few hundred dollars of lost fish from trail and error it feels good to keep my money in those tanks. The Internet is a great source would be lost without all the information. Good luck with your tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or