Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:05 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times

Advertisements

Mine would be out of the Elephantnose, Elephantnose fish, Peter's Elephant-nose, Gnathonemus petersii.

Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Elephant Nose

I owned one I named 'Snuffles' who was a real character. He/she was the boss of the tank and was constantly chasing all the others around, butting them with it's 'trunk' (projecting lower lip). We'd feed old Snuffles live food like bloodworms, and he/she had a favourite hiding place in a hollow log.

When Snuffles finally passed away (admittedly through a sudden outbreak of disease) I had him/her preserved and 'mounted' for a couple of years until it began to attract spiders and I had to give it a burial. Had more personality than many dogs I've seen.

My other favourite, which I also owned, is the three-spotted or trimac cichlid.

Fish Profile for Three Spot Cichlid, Trimac Cichlid, Tri-spot Cichlid, Trispot Cichlid (Amphilophus trimaculatum)

Also quite a big fan of the Arowanas/Saratogas, both the South American and Asian/Australian ones.

Alas, it's been quite a few years since I've kept fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 07:23 PM

35 posts, read 97,457 times
cichlids, gourami, tetra. Yes, too many.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:52 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Mine would have to be Angel fish. They are so elegant, so graceful. And mine swim up to me when I approach the tank and say hello every morning

I also love Rams, Rainbowfish and various Tetra

Old 03-20-2012, 09:58 PM

6 posts, read 8,778 times
Hands down, my Oscar fish. Oscar fish in general. They have such personality and he always greets me when I stick my face up to the glass lol He's only 5 inches right now and still has a lot to grow (:

Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
as a genera group love cichlids...
peacock cichlids are my faves, beautiful colors, a little more "mellow" on the agression level...

but any cichlids make me smile, i love how personable the group as a whole is. right now i have a 55gal community with a pair of angels, they are definatly characters and absolutly beautiful.
and i adore blood parrots, yes i knwo they are a mixed breed genetic mess, but those little smiley faces and they have amazing personalities, i had one i rescued named gigantor (a 13" blood parrot) and he was incredibly people centric, oved to knwo what was going on all the time, ate from my hand, even liked to be "petted"...

and i AdOrE Discus....could never afford to set up a discus tank...but *drools*

i also love neon and cardinal tetras, theres something about thier coloration, and movemnt that i cant help but be absolutly drawn to.

And corydora! there so frequently overlooked as anything more than a clean up crew...but if you get enough of them and see their natural behaviours, they are cool little fish!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:15 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
This is about the only type of fresh water fish I like to keep.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:11 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,852,904 times
beautiful discus, are they yours?

Old 03-23-2012, 02:01 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,925,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
beautiful discus, are they yours?
Yes.. This is one of my breeding pair.

Old 03-23-2012, 02:05 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,931,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Yes.. This is one of my breeding pair.
show off

lol, they are a beauty.

disagree with you on the freshwater thing though.
For me there are sooooo many wonderful ones.

Corydoras are so interesting.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:45 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,891,640 times
I would have to say mine are indescent sharks. Basically though, Ilike any type of fish that are somwhat medium sized and are pretty active in the tank. So in otherwords, I dont like fish that take ten minutes to get from one side of the tank to the other by gliding through the water. Or one that just hovers in one spot, OR one that lays on the bottom constantly, OR one that stays hidden all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish