U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2012, 03:47 AM

475 posts, read 408,220 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, i have a question for all of you. Recently my friend moved out to a different house and didnt know what to do with his fish tank so i said "give it to me". Im a huge animal lover (vegan, animals right person, etc) but now i dont know what to do. Everytime i used to go to his house i would look at the fish and think "God, they have no freedom inside the tank" but of course i never said anything because i respect him.
My idea at first was to get the tank with the fish and the 3 frogs and release them in the ocean for them to be free. Now my question is, do you think (honestly) that keeping fish in a tank is cruel or not ? The one he gave me is kinda small and im so sad seeing them in there that im thinking on buying a bigger one. The other thing is that i dont want to release them because i know he is going to come to my house to visit me and if he doesnt see it (the tank) he would ask me what happened with it. Even tho he cant say anything because since he gave it to me im the new owner and i can do what i please with it but still, i would feel bad.
So, what are your thoughts ? i know all of you (or the majority( here own a tank, but please help me and tell me how you really feel. Im so lost. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 07:46 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,951,215 times
For a moment I was so shocked by your post that I had no words. Ohmygosh, do not release them! That would be cruel, there are numerous reasons for it.

Do you even know what kind of fish and frogs you have? Ocean is saltwater, and you probably have freshwater fish and frogs, so dumping them in the ocean would be instant death. Also, they are unused to predators, so if you released them, they would probably be lunch to a predator within a matter of hours. And being fed indoors they are not used to foraging for food on their own. Furthermore, if they harbor some kind of disease and you release them into the wild, you would be spreading the disease.

You say the tank is small, so I'm betting the frogs are African Dwarf frogs. Please do them a kindness and read this info on their care, if you really want to give them a good home:

African Dwarf Frog Housing and Feeding

What does the fish look like? It is extremely important to identify what kind of fish it is, as their requirements vary widely from one type to another. For instance, a goldfish will get huge and will not live in a small tank for long. Some tropical fish require a heater, others do not. Some types of fish require a different food from others, some do better in schools, etc. etc. etc. Please take a pic of the fish to share with us, or look over this site to see if you can find which fish you have:
Freshwater Fish: Freshwater Tropical Fish Species for Tropical Fish Tanks

Next, you will need to learn the proper maintenance of the tank. You will need to do weekly partial water changes, and vacuum the gravel if there is gravel in the tank. I am in a hurry, so I quickly did a google to find a link that would help walk you through the steps:
How to Maintain an Aquarium: Aquarium Fish: Animal Planet

Finally, if this all seems too complicated and you do not feel you are interested in caring for these live creatures, put an ad on Craigslist and give them to a good home.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:23 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,864,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
For a moment I was so shocked by your post that I had no words. Ohmygosh, do not release them! That would be cruel, there are numerous reasons for it.

Do you even know what kind of fish and frogs you have? Ocean is saltwater, and you probably have freshwater fish and frogs, so dumping them in the ocean would be instant death. Also, they are unused to predators, so if you released them, they would probably be lunch to a predator within a matter of hours. And being fed indoors they are not used to foraging for food on their own. Furthermore, if they harbor some kind of disease and you release them into the wild, you would be spreading the disease.

You say the tank is small, so I'm betting the frogs are African Dwarf frogs. Please do them a kindness and read this info on their care, if you really want to give them a good home:

African Dwarf Frog Housing and Feeding

What does the fish look like? It is extremely important to identify what kind of fish it is, as their requirements vary widely from one type to another. For instance, a goldfish will get huge and will not live in a small tank for long. Some tropical fish require a heater, others do not. Some types of fish require a different food from others, some do better in schools, etc. etc. etc. Please take a pic of the fish to share with us, or look over this site to see if you can find which fish you have:
Freshwater Fish: Freshwater Tropical Fish Species for Tropical Fish Tanks

Next, you will need to learn the proper maintenance of the tank. You will need to do weekly partial water changes, and vacuum the gravel if there is gravel in the tank. I am in a hurry, so I quickly did a google to find a link that would help walk you through the steps:
How to Maintain an Aquarium: Aquarium Fish: Animal Planet

Finally, if this all seems too complicated and you do not feel you are interested in caring for these live creatures, put an ad on Craigslist and give them to a good home.
+10000

Do NOT 'free' these animals. They will almost certainly die and if they do survive they could breed and become an issue for native species.

If you are honest in your desire to be kind, you will research what species you have and do your best to provide the best possible environment for them. That is responsibility and kindness. You should no more set a fish 'free' than you should toss a cat out to survive alone.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:02 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,274,556 times
if your worried about tank size UPGRADE to a bigger tank...
as others have pointed out....
setting fish "free" is not only cruel but also ilegal for the saftey of the natrual flora and fauna...none native species can do insane and irrepairable amounts of damage on natural ecosystems.

my fish seem more than content to enjoy their space, and unles syou have fish that are used to traveling great distances to spawn, fish generally do not have vast territories to "explore" (open water is dangerous so many stay "closeto home" so a properly sized tank assuming parameters are correctand tankmates are compatible is a MUCH more comfortable environment for pet fish than setting them free into a compeltly random habitat typically hundereds, thousands + of miles from what is truly "home"

most fish availabel in the pet trade are NOT from the USA. and if he just gave themto you id bet there not native to area salt water either...

Old 06-05-2012, 10:46 AM

8,308 posts, read 34,867,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marce30 View Post
Hi everybody, i have a question for all of you. Recently my friend moved out to a different house and didnt know what to do with his fish tank so i said "give it to me". Im a huge animal lover (vegan, animals right person, etc) but now i dont know what to do. Everytime i used to go to his house i would look at the fish and think "God, they have no freedom inside the tank" but of course i never said anything because i respect him.
My idea at first was to get the tank with the fish and the 3 frogs and release them in the ocean for them to be free. Now my question is, do you think (honestly) that keeping fish in a tank is cruel or not ? The one he gave me is kinda small and im so sad seeing them in there that im thinking on buying a bigger one. The other thing is that i dont want to release them because i know he is going to come to my house to visit me and if he doesnt see it (the tank) he would ask me what happened with it. Even tho he cant say anything because since he gave it to me im the new owner and i can do what i please with it but still, i would feel bad.
So, what are your thoughts ? i know all of you (or the majority( here own a tank, but please help me and tell me how you really feel. Im so lost. Thanks
What existential angst would a fish have?

Fish certainly have drives and the primary drives would be to respire, to eat, to avoid predation and to mate. Angst would come from the lack of fulfilment of these drives. Fish in a tank (assuming a knowledgeable and workmanlike human steward) enjoy ideal water oxygen levels, steady feeding, complete protection from predators and, possibly, mates provided with no competition. Those fish are not pining away for their parents like Nemo in the dentist's office; they have a great gig in that tank.

When the US Navy first started working with dolphins, they trained wild-caught bottlenose. The moment of truth was going out into the open sea with their trained dolphins to see if they would return to the research vessel at the end of the maneuver or just go back to being wild dolphins. When summoned, the dolphins voluntarily returned to the vessel and submitted to transport. It seems that a dolphin's wild life isn't necessarily preferable to a dolphin's captive life. "Thanks for all the fish!"

What if you were a captive baitfish instead of a top-predator marine mammal? Would you want out of your nice, safe, warm tank?

Old 06-07-2012, 06:29 PM

475 posts, read 408,220 times
Ok, here i am again. Thanks for the replies i got. Ive decided that I'm going to keep the fish tank and take really good care of them. Now i bought a new tank (bigger one with a lot of room for them) and everything that comes with it. I let the old go. This is my first time so everyday I'm learning more and more about how to take proper care of a fish tank.
I think they are happy there, now they have a lot of room to move and play around.
Thank you guys !

Old 06-09-2012, 06:50 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,951,215 times
That's great, good luck and thanks for the update! Did you figure out what kind of fish you have?

Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,274,556 times
glad you made this decision and i think youll probably beocme as addicted to fish keeping as most of us are lol. i LOVE watching my fish do what they do...as long as the tank is big enough your fish will be VERY content

If you post some ictures of your fish we could probably help ID them for you

Old 06-24-2012, 07:25 PM

7,975 posts, read 9,380,326 times
Releasing fish and frogs into the ocean would be more cruel as they would die pretty quickly. Releasing them in the wild is illegal and irresponsible. Check out the Florida Fish and Game site for information on just how bad invasive species can be: What is a nonnative species?

Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 PM

7,229 posts, read 9,558,849 times
A fish in a suitably roomy, well-kept tank is living the life of Riley. Unfortunately, that's not the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish