U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 06:07 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,191,198 times

Advertisements

We have had a Yellow Caribean Damsel for 16 years now, got it when it was an adult, not sure how old it was when we got it.
Lives In a 55 gallon tank, it has had some company in the past come and go, it has the tank to it's self these days, happy as a clam. named it Buttons /spots on it.

What are your elderly Fish tales?

P.S. ***knock on wood hope I am not jynxing it by doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 05:13 AM

71 posts, read 105,668 times
Oh, I am so sorry that we family had never keep the fish alive for six months, so after I was ten, they never feed any.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 PM

2,873 posts, read 4,761,642 times
I have a three year old guppy...which for an inbred pet store guppy is positively ancient. He looks as good as ever. Actually all of the fish in that tank are 3...mixed community of tetras, corys, rasboras, and guppies. My betta in a separate tank is going on five.

The only fish deaths I've ever had were within the guppy herd and I blame that on inbreeding weakening the strain (not my breeding...I only keep males.) Otherwise my fish have all been very healthy...I'm neurotic with my water changes and maintenance.

(I know 3 isn't an achievement, really, but so many lazy people think less than a year is a natural lifespan for fish because they don't take care of their tanks)

Old 06-21-2012, 06:34 AM

22,870 posts, read 19,295,400 times
One 20 year old catfish.

One 12 year old pygmy catfish.

5 year old Betta.

7 year old guppies then interbreeding started to wreck havoc on them.

My late husband gave them all away except the deformed guppies, he let them die off because he knew he was dying and I did not care about them. He was obsessive about their care too.

Tetras seemed to be the fish that would die the quickest.

Old 06-21-2012, 03:21 PM

6,591 posts, read 20,802,386 times
i lost my 24 yr old commet just before i moved...he was a big old fishy! (and thats realy not old for a goldfish, but his filter whent down during a por outage and yeah...:*(

and i currently have a 6yr old betta in with some glolight tetra who arnt much younger than him lol...

Old 06-22-2012, 09:49 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,466,949 times
8 year old clown loach. Love those fish.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:17 PM

7,724 posts, read 9,021,232 times
4 year old upside down catfish. When he/she died he/she was the last orginal inhabitant of that tank.

Old 06-24-2012, 06:30 PM

37,974 posts, read 55,724,604 times
I had a goldfish over 6 years. I brought it ( with the tank ) to work and asked co-worker to feed it while I was on vacations.( of course I said how much and how often ). They overfeed it... the fish died 5 days before I came back.

This was a very funny fish... it used to happily swim around the tank, and didn't paid attention to anyone, even when I was sitting on the couch and doing something or watching TV, but so soon I started to eat something - it will stop swimming and just looked at me the entire time I was eating. I know, it sounds silly, but I had friends coming to my house to see it with their own eyes.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Macon, Duluth, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:00 PM

5,065 posts, read 13,748,880 times
Over the years I've dismantled my tanks for a few years as I had children etc., and given away my fish. Finally now I'm at the point where I can keep my fish for as long as humanly possible. I dug a pond six years ago and have several goldfish that I've had since then. Indoors, my oldest tropical fish is a 5 year old gourami.

Old 06-27-2012, 01:52 AM

228 posts, read 360,377 times
I have a 7 year-old plecostomus named Pucker O.G. We got him as a wee babe and he's still kicking it.

My husband comically added on the "Original Gangsta" tag after we got a second pleco for our other fish tank (we started calling the second one Pucker by mistake). Unfortunately, Pucker eventually had to go back to the pet store because he really outgrew his 55-gallon tank. He was a little over 14 inches in length when we took him back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish