Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:12 PM

200 posts, read 553,237 times

Advertisements

How many inches per year can a goldfish grow given the right environment? How many inches per year can they grow in a tank that is okay, not huge?

I've read many articles that on one hand say that a too small tank will stunt their growth and shorten their lifespan. Others say that they will only grow to the size of the tank they're in.

We have two goldfish (comet type I believe) that we were given by a friend who was moving. I think they were several months old at that point. We have had them 15 months now and they seem happy and lively in a 5 gallon tank. They have grown a little and are now approx 2 inches long. I realize that they will need a larger tank soon, but am trying to figure out where I can put it!!

To add to my dilemma, my husband took the kids to a carnival this weekend and came home with two more goldfish!!!! Argh! I know that I was on borrowed time with the two I have and the size of the tank, but now with two more, I don't know what I'm going to do. One of the two new ones is the same size as the two I already have and they are close to two years old. I assume that the new carnival fish are youngsters?

I currently have both of them in an old goldfish bowl I had in the basement as I didn't want to put them in with the other two incase they are diseased, so I wanted to wait a few days to see how they do.

Can I put them in with the other two temporarily? What size tank would you recommmend for the 4 of them?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 08:06 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,774,020 times
goldfish of the long bodied type need 10gallons PER goldfish...MINIMUM...for 4 id go with a 55 gallon tank personally youll thank yourself later,

the articles that state small tanks stunt growth and cause early death are the CORRECT ones...
goldfish do not stop growing just because their house is small...
that would be like saying put a person in a 4ft tall box and hell stop growing when his head hits the roof...Its not how it happens, instead what happens is the fish continues to grow (all be it slowly and often painfully) and as they grow in their too small a home their spine begins to malform, as do their fins and internal organs become misplaced...stunting their growth and finally killing them.
whats even worse is that goldfish are "high output" fish, the ammonia 1 baby 1" goldfish puts out is the equivalent to a 10inch fish!!!! that ammonia also ends up slowly poisoning them to death.

in optimum conditions 1/2 an inch per month (generally full grown at aprox 12" by 2 years. for commet style fish) dep bodied goldfish likeryunkins being "rounded" tend to take growth a little slower, reaching a full length of about 8" (but there also about 8" tall lol) at 3years.
that however is assuming optimal conditions everything from light, to water quality to food quality will play a part, as will genetic code.

some goldfish that have been "stunted" by a too small tank (which typically results in bad water quality and that's what causes the growth stunting) never do fully recover or grow to their beautiful adult size!

Old 09-08-2013, 08:47 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,155,784 times
The other problem with a small tank is that you have to change the water a lot more frequently to avoid acidity which will burn their fins and eventually kill them. My pond fish have grown about 1" a year up to about 8" from "feeder" size. In the house I keep 2 in a tank then they go out when large enough. Those seem to grow about 1/2" in 6 months, so that's about the same rate.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:00 PM

Hmmm, thanks both!

I do try to change the water fairly frequently, plus change the filter once every two months (rinse it off in between months) and they do seem happy, but I guess that they are not growing as quickly as they should be.

Ok, if I put all 4 together in a 10 gallon tank (I have another one that I can use) for a few weeks, then invest in a 55 gallon, they should be okay - temporarily right?

Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2013, 12:28 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,351,989 times
4 would be fine in a 55gallon tank.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:31 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,833,140 times
Four will create a LOT of waste, as common goldfish can reach a foot long if healthy, and you don't want to stunt their growth. You'll need to monitor the water quality more closely in say a 55 gallon tank with four, I'd go with a 60 gallon tank. If you go with a 55, it would be best to get two filters, at double the capacity the filters recommend. I've seen several adult comets in 55 gallon tanks before, and they look cramped, and the water dirty. Just keep in mind that it is harder to keep a smaller tank clean.

I like koko's goldfish forum for advice, it's a large forum with members who know a great deal about goldfish. This is a small forum with few members who really know goldfish, so you are likely to get conflicting advice.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 09-14-2013 at 06:50 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 09:03 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,155,784 times
The pet shops will have several hundred in a 40 gallon tank. As long as the water is checked/changed it won't hurt to keep them in a smaller tank temporarily, especially if they are small.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:51 AM

Thanks everyone!!! I will check out that other forum too!

Old 09-14-2013, 09:51 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,833,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The pet shops will have several hundred in a 40 gallon tank. As long as the water is checked/changed it won't hurt to keep them in a smaller tank temporarily, especially if they are small.
Usually those fish are sick and diseased, though. But yes, temporarily for a few weeks and with frequent partial water changes the OP could keep the fish together. But 55 gallons long term is not generally recommended for several commons, which are a larger goldfish. Twenty gallons per common is the general rule. Even four fancy, smaller goldfish are recommended to be put in a 60 gallon tank. And as you'll see on the threads below they discuss this. My commons in my pond are huge. Ultimately 55 would be too small, although for now it would be fine. Perhaps they can put tropical fish in the 55 and get a larger tank or pond for the goldfish some day.

Reminder on the gallon rules? - General Goldfish Discussion - Kokos Goldfish Forum

How many goldfish in a 75 gallon aquarium? - General Goldfish Discussion - Kokos Goldfish Forum

Minimum tank size for 5 fancy goldfish - General Goldfish Discussion - Kokos Goldfish Forum

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 09-14-2013 at 10:06 AM..

Old 12-12-2013, 10:12 PM

1,288 posts, read 2,910,875 times
LOL, before you know it, someone in here will recommend or demand that you need a 150 gallon tank.

Com'on now, it's only four gold fish. They will do fine in a 10 gallon tank for a couple of years. If they are still alive by the end of 2015 and have grown, you go out and buy a 20 gallon tank to house them. Alternatively, go out and buy a 20 or 30 gallon tank and it will last years, plus some room for a couple more gold fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish