U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 03:29 PM

3,357 posts, read 2,682,020 times

Advertisements

Love the names! Looks pretty, and I agree you shouldn't add any more fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 05:48 PM

3,044 posts, read 3,996,519 times
New tech, like the jbj 3 gallon nano, with led lights and a very small three stage internal filter, will support fish if you don't overfeed, and the initial water is PH neutral, that is, no phosphates or high silica, like most city water everywhere. Filtered, even distilled, to start, a few live plants if the lighting system supports it, and DO NOT OVERFEED.

Algae wise I use the large Japanese amano shrimp. It doesn't breed in captivity, and is usually a dollar or two in cost.\
Right now I have a large male betta, the shrimp, seven small common aquatic plants, and two two inch female swordtail.
I added an extra sponge filter in the filter compartments, for bioload, and again, DO NOT OVERFEED.

We had a big debate in our club, and the most common problem for new and old hobbyists was overfeeding, esp. in Nano tanks. I only change water if I see a lot of plant matter decomposing or dropping off the plants. Balance is everything.

Old 10-05-2014, 11:50 PM

256 posts, read 272,448 times
Hope you post pictures, good luck with your tank!

Old 10-20-2014, 11:32 AM

550 posts, read 787,602 times
Thanks guys for all the comments. They have been very helpful.

Well, after a month and a half, it looks like the newest addition, the bloodfin tetra, was not welcome, and went up (or is it down?) to fishie-heaven. I noticed one morning that he kept opening and closing his mouth, and a part of the front of his head looked weird. He seemed fine otherwise, but that evening, our daughter found the fish dead. Apparently, one of the other had bitten off chunks of him at the head.

I wonder if it was because maybe there were two males and one female or vice-versa, which resulted in competition, especially since the bloodfin came in later? Or maybe overcrowding?

Saddened but we've all moved on. Burial rituals scheduled for later this week...we have him in a freezer for now.

Otherwise, the fish and snails are doing well. No plans to get any others.

Separately, I found out that I am allergic to bloodworms. Go figure.

Will post pics soon.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:51 PM

7,542 posts, read 16,354,807 times
Was it 3 bloodfin tetra's you had in your tank ? That's 6 inches in a 3 gallon tank, thinks can get rough if crowded.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:57 PM

4 posts, read 3,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Was it 3 bloodfin tetra's you had in your tank ? That's 6 inches in a 3 gallon tank, thinks can get rough if crowded.
I'm sure that had a lot to do with it. (It was 2 Glo tetras and one bloodfin, and the bloodfin, which was introduced a week later into the tank was the one that was attacked.)

Old 10-23-2014, 08:26 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,031,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradivarius View Post
Thanks guys for all the comments. They have been very helpful.

Well, after a month and a half, it looks like the newest addition, the bloodfin tetra, was not welcome, and went up (or is it down?) to fishie-heaven. I noticed one morning that he kept opening and closing his mouth, and a part of the front of his head looked weird. He seemed fine otherwise, but that evening, our daughter found the fish dead. Apparently, one of the other had bitten off chunks of him at the head.

I wonder if it was because maybe there were two males and one female or vice-versa, which resulted in competition, especially since the bloodfin came in later? Or maybe overcrowding?

Saddened but we've all moved on. Burial rituals scheduled for later this week...we have him in a freezer for now.

Otherwise, the fish and snails are doing well. No plans to get any others.

Separately, I found out that I am allergic to bloodworms. Go figure.

Will post pics soon.
Note that you may be describing symptoms of ick rather than violence...

Old 11-06-2014, 04:22 AM

788 posts, read 641,905 times
As an addition, a single bloodfin tetra wouldn't have been happy long-term in your setup. Most tetras are very social schooling fish, and need buddies of their own species to hang out with. With the size of your tank, I'd say the two Glofish are probably your limit--I'd be inclined to say pushing it, but if they're doing well, that's the important part.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:59 PM

11,982 posts, read 16,709,418 times
You should have a minimum of 5 single species tetra. Tetras really aren't great for nano tanks because they are schooling fish.

I have a 20 gallon but am partial to lots of tiny fish, so I go the nano route. Ember tetras are the smallest tetra (under an inch at max) and you could probably fit 5 in well cycled, planted 3 gallon tank. Also look at scarlet badis. They're a little harder to come by, but they're tiny and do not school so it is actually preferable to get only one.

My next tank will be a legitimate nano where I focus on plants and keep lots of shrimp. Shrimp are funny little characters and one of the best things about getting nano fish is that the fish won't eat the shrimp. My cherry shrimp are bigger than most of my ember tetras!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or