Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 04:05 AM

498 posts, read 1,514,692 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between a boy and a girl on the smaller sucker fish? The one I have is a yellowish orange. I know that there are platamotamus or whatever they are, the big ugly black ones. But I have the smaller orange one. I just don't know how to tell if it is a boy or a girl, as the fish guy did not know either. I got it at Wal-Mart. It is approximately 3 inches long now and they said it could grow up to 6 inches. I have had this fish for 2 months. Does anyone have any info. on em??
Thanks

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 11:45 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,500,576 times
No clue on sexxing them..I got the big ugly prehistoric one in my tank had 6 months and ready to sell back as he is 14 inches long now.(started as a 2 incher) I never buy from Walmart fish wise anyway as not very healthy usually and I buy from 1 pet store have fancy guppies and such they buy babies from me and my scum suckers when get to big.

Are the ones you got egg layers or live bearing? If egg layers probably not keep a baby as eggs get eaten.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:03 PM

Default Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
No clue on sexxing them..I got the big ugly prehistoric one in my tank had 6 months and ready to sell back as he is 14 inches long now.(started as a 2 incher) I never buy from Walmart fish wise anyway as not very healthy usually and I buy from 1 pet store have fancy guppies and such they buy babies from me and my scum suckers when get to big.

Are the ones you got egg layers or live bearing? If egg layers probably not keep a baby as eggs get eaten.

Well dreamhunter, I have been told that they are egg layers. That is sad news about trying to keep babies. HOw do I stop that, do you know?

I also have fancytailed guppies. I have at least 1,000. I have platys. Most of them are all orange some are white and orange. I have about 100 of them right now. I have an african cyclid. HE is a convict cyclid with the stripes. He is about 3 inches right now. HE will grow to be bigger though. I had 24 cyclids-3 different kind, until my honey and me changed the water on a 75 gal. tank. We took too much of their water out and put too much fresh water in. They turned up like hotcakes. I was sick!! and mad! I was able to save one convict and one yellow labrador cyclid and 2 orange platies. It was obvious we did not know what we were doing. Ya live and Ya learn

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE

Old 01-04-2008, 05:56 AM

I have platys also mainly orange with black tail.

Egg layers will probably do best in own tank.Here is a link with some information.

Fish Breeding

Goodluck and have fun.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:02 AM

Smile Unite

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamhunter65 View Post
I have platys also mainly orange with black tail.

Egg layers will probably do best in own tank.Here is a link with some information.

Fish Breeding

Goodluck and have fun.
Thanks dreamhunter. It was not that helpful but I do appreciate the effort. As a matter of fact, I had tried a couple of other sites to no avail.

I still do want the answer if anyone has it.

LIVE LAUGH AND LOVE
p.s. sorry it took me so long to thank you, my computer went stupid on me for a couple of days.

Old 01-14-2008, 06:31 PM

Can you go to pet store and ask where get theirs from and a number so could call the breeders themselves and ask?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 PM

9 posts, read 36,288 times
It might be a chocolate pleco is my guess. I had one in my tank and I think since it is so small you won't be able to tell untill it is larger.

Old 01-13-2009, 09:01 AM

2,855 posts, read 10,384,365 times
Just FYI walmart employees are not at all knowledgeable on the pets they sell.
I would try a petstore next time for fish.

Also all Pleco's that i know of grow up to 12 to 24 inches not only 6.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:33 PM

635 posts, read 1,680,782 times
My tank was Wild Kingdom gone mad. A couple me and DH knew had a son that worked at the local fish store. So we 'consulted' him. I bought 2 miniature frogs, 4 shrimp, 1 platy, several betas. Starter tank. By the time all was said and done, the frogs had eaten most of the shrimp and I would see their little shrimp armor floating conspicuously on the surface of the water. The last lone shrimp was fending off one of the frogs inside a conch shell with one claw (I swear I saw the frogs with melted butter). The Platy grew to 6" and was beginning to have probs maneuvering around in the tank b/c he was still a growing fishy but it was also eating all the food that hit the bottom of the tank, not just algae or gleaning. The betas had little nips missing out of their bottom fins because of fighting the platy for their food. The frogs had gained weight and were not only eating the blood worms we were dropping in there for them, but as I said, also the shrimp. A HOT MESS!

We took the frogs and the Platy back to the store (the Platy was kinda heavy when I netted him out the tank, that was a unexpected displeasure). The one-clawed shrimp and the betas thanked us - in celebration, confetti was floating on the top of the water

Sorry, so off-topic (I truly didn't know that was gonna come outta me). Maybe My Fish Tank or aquarium advice could help?

Last edited by justhere; 01-30-2009 at 06:46 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 08:52 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,256,002 times
Are you talking about Algae eaters? They are often referred to as sucker fish.

Chinese Algae Eater

I have 2 in my tank...both were only about an inch or so when I bought them...Now, one is about 5 inches long and the other has stayed the same size!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish