U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 08:35 AM

6,591 posts, read 20,694,915 times

Advertisements

LMAO, I had a friend living in east asia for work, never seen a tokay before...found one in his kitchen cabinate one day...
he swears blind that hing launched itself at his face, took him about 3 monhs before he dared open the cabinats again LOL!
(he managed to get a pic and it was a large adult so I can see why hed be a little freeked lol)

my current female hisses and postures a lot if I put my hands in, but its mostly talk.

they LOVE roaches too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 05:59 PM

279 posts, read 278,595 times
So ... Did we decide on anything for that empty 10g yet Foxy?

Old 02-06-2016, 11:54 AM

still playing with ideas, kinda restricted with what local stores have available vs what I can get online too...I always have a hard time making decisions lol.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:34 PM

3,978 posts, read 3,344,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
I always have a hard time making decisions
I can tell.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:03 AM

34,232 posts, read 41,228,049 times
How about a tropical themed Paludarium with small water feature, maybe stock it with some nice plants and some old wood a rock or two.,perhaps a frog,small turtle,small lizard and some colorful Cardinal Tetras for the water.
Paludarium=
https://www.google.ca/search?q=10+ga...ium+definition

Old 02-08-2016, 10:43 AM

Heres a visual of what i had in mind=

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8Sl90mvIx8

I have a 55 gal tank and when most of the fish die off i'm going to give a paludarium a try

Old 02-08-2016, 04:15 PM

my 2nd 55 (tokays tank) is a paludarium, I LOVE it, might be challenging on a smaller scale though, id think to get enough balance the water zone would only realy be big enough for something small mabe a betta...
but its deifnatly a thought... mabe a pair of anoles

though I may end up having to use it for a little while for a couple of female mice, my local "Real" petstore is going out of business and petco wants $7 for mice...and my little ball still hasn't taken to frozen thawed...and isn't big enough for ratties yet so I may end up having to breed my own feeders for a while...

Old 02-20-2016, 12:09 PM

After many years of trouble free Aquariums i too need something new, this idea of a Paludarium really has me contemplating the possibilities, at the moment i have a 55 gallon fresh water aquarium which will serve as the base for the project,at the moment its stocked with a dozen cardinal tetras that i hope to retain. i'm also hoping to construct the paludarium without having to drain the tank (possible?).
And i'm planning on using plastic plants as my attempts to use real plants has never worked.
What would be the best online resource for products and guidance?
Thanks.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=palud...QKC0AQ_AUIBigB

Old 02-21-2016, 11:07 AM

id think youd have to do some draining to give you space or your plants/waterfall build ect...but you could deinatly work around leaving the tank at least partially filled depending on how you plan to set it up/lay out...

ill have t get a pic of my 55 pal later for you.
mines live plants, not sure how fake would work since the idea is the plants help filter and provide the humidity for any none fish residents, but if humidity maintenance isn't an issue and you plan to maintain basic filtration and your just going for the aesthetics I don't see why it wouldn't work, you could always do fake with a few realy easy lives (peace lilly, philodendron, ect) and then expand if they do well

Old 02-21-2016, 02:28 PM

I'm finding out quick that setting up a Paludarium is a major undertaking.
Adding care and upkeep of real plants is something to experiment with in the future,
Over the years in various Aquariums and terrariums i've had absolutely no luck with live plants as they usually die or over run the tank and require more upkeep than i'm prepared to give.
A good article on the benefits/advantages and possibilities of using plastic plants=
How to set up a paludarium | Features | Practical Fishkeeping
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or